What's wrong with this forum lately?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The quality of conversation on this forum has deteriorated significantly over last few months.

It's really about the 'signal to noise' ratio for me. An increase in spam, trolling and nastiness, and a decrease in reasonable, sensible and informed discussion.

I urge the moderators to consider what they might do in order to restore some order about the place.

If there aren't enough mods, perhaps consider enlisting a few members to help?

For my part I'm going to try to start a thread or two that might stimulate some interesting discussion. Hopefully other members can contribute and consider what they might do to improve the S/N ratio.

But ultimately, if matters continue to deteriorate I think many of us will drift off to other forums. Some already have.

newboater

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
The quality of conversation on this forum has deteriorated significantly over last few months.

It's really about the 'signal to noise' ratio for me. An increase in spam, trolling and nastiness, and a decrease in reasonable, sensible and informed discussion.

I urge the moderators to consider what they might do in order to restore some order about the place.

For my part I'm going to try to start a thread or two that might stimulate some interesting discussion. Hopefully other members can contribute and consider what they might do to improve the S/N ratio.

But ultimately, if matters continue to deteriorate I think many of us will drift off to other forums. Some already have.
+1

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I always view forums like a local pub..... there will always be people there that talk about things that dont interest you, or even annoy you. Some will be interesting, some boring. Some intelligent, some are cretinous morons.
Takes all sorts..... and its a lot easier to ignore them in a forum, than it is in a pub.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ths problem has been an intermittent one throughout the life of this forum, possibly in part because there are limits to the variety of what can be posted about e-bikes.

In the past I've done exactly what you propose to deal with this problem, often with some success when such a thread has led to a number of pages. In this respect the Charging Post forum for other than e-bike subects is very helpful.

I'm not the only one doing this of course, this search link takes you to 500 threads fr om many members in order of most contributed to, many nothing to do with e-bikes. It may give you some ideas,

Reactions: Alan Quay

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013

Great post, it needed saying.
Dave.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I always view forums like a local pub..... there will always be people there that talk about things that dont interest you, or even annoy you. Some will be interesting, some boring. Some intelligent, some are cretinous morons.
Takes all sorts..... and its a lot easier to ignore them in a forum, than it is in a pub.
This is much cheaper and you stay sober. Unless one has a Designer Mercedes Smart bike.

Now I risk the wrath of Alan Quay.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I have used the ignore feature to prevent me from the temptation of having "a discussion" with the Mercedes guy. I will use this feature more often now that I know how. It is too bad that people that want to make valid points can get so wound up by people like this. Being able to shut them off is just as good as shutting them up. Unfortunately, this is not the end of people doing what they do to stir the pot so to speak.

Anyway, as a general rule, conversations here have been constructive in spite of differing opinions at times. People willing to listen often change their minds when a good case is presented. This, in the hands of the aforementioned, was not the case.

Reactions: Alan Quay

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
I have used the ignore feature to prevent me from the temptation of having "a discussion" with the Mercedes guy. I will use this feature more often now that I know how. It is too bad that people that want to make valid points can get so wound up by people like this. Being able to shut them off is just as good as shutting them up. Unfortunately, this is not the end of people doing what they do to stir the pot so to speak.

Anyway, as a general rule, conversations here have been constructive in spite of differing opinions at times. People willing to listen often change their minds when a good case is presented. This, in the hands of the aforementioned, was not the case.

Since D8veh stopped posting and creating great interest in his posts,
the forum has gone to pot, half the members do not bother looking in.
All we get now is throat cutting, and taking the p**s out of other members posts.
ROB

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
got mods on my site n will soon ban ur ass if posting rubbish ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
pint of vodka if ur offering ;)

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hi Folks could be the winter blues effecting the input, I know i have not been out on my bike latterly due to illness and weather, but still tinkering with project 3.
with our classic car club forum the web site goes a bit quite this time of year

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Ths problem has been an intermittent one throughout the life of this forum, possibly in part because there are limits to the variety of what can be posted about e-bikes.

In the past I've done exactly what you propose to deal with this problem, often with some success when such a thread has led to a number of pages. In this respect the Charging Post forum for other than e-bike subects is very helpful.

I'm not the only one doing this of course, this search link takes you to 500 threads fr om many members in order of most contributed to, many nothing to do with e-bikes. It may give you some ideas,
Your link does not work for me, I think it has been truncated.

Using the search forum function under the Forum tab above for "ebike" I get this link which shows all my advanced search options in the address line:

http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/search/525936/?q=ebike&t=post&o=replies&g=1&c[date]=1136073600&c[reply_count]=100[

I use Firefox browser though.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your link does not work for me, I think it has been truncated.

Using the search forum function under the Forum tab above for "ebike" I get this link which shows all my advanced search options in the address line:

http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/search/525936/?q=ebike&t=post&o=replies&g=1&c[date]=1136073600&c[reply_count]=100[

I use Firefox browser though.
The search must be personalised then, since it works for me. I just used Search, my member name, Charging Post, Search threads only, most contributed to, and unchecked child forums, and that gave the top 500 threads.