Wheels, Lights, helmets Upgrade Recommendations

JohnDaBike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2020
So here is my very first E-Bike build.

20200623_154049.jpg
The plan was to start with a low cost entry into an E-Bike using the Bike I had (25 year old Specialized HardRock) and then if all went well to upgrade the bike to add some of the posh kit!
So I would appreciate recommendations for the following planned up grades
  1. Wheels with disk brakes
  2. Tyres with puncture proof tubes (currently 26ins X 1.95)
  3. Mud guards
  4. Front & rear lights
  5. Rear view mirror
  6. Kick stay
  7. 9 speed rear chain set & derailleur
  8. Urban style helmet for an F-BOB ( local term for a Fat Bloke On Bike)
Thanks

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's not really possible to upgrade to disc brakes, which would be much needed. You have no mount at the rear, nor on your forks. Adaptors don't work very well. You could exchange your forks for disc ones and have just a front disc, which night be enough, but by the time you've bought them, new wheels/hubs and a headset, it might be cheaper to get a whole new donjor bike and transfer everything over.

Unless you're going for an ultra light weight build, I'd always advise people to start with a disc brake frame and forks.

Tyres are easy. fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus and forget about punctures,

Lights: Get a removable rechargeable front light from Ebay with a single Cree T6 emitter or higher. the ones with a blue ring light around them are really good. The back light isn't so important. the ones with laser lines are really good for a couple of quid as long as you don't break the bracket when adjusting its angle.

Mudguards: Anything from SKS, like Beaver-tails. About £13 a pair.

Mirror: Zefal Cyclops is the best I've ever used by far. Hunt around to find one less than £10

Helmet: Look for a skateboard/snowboard one rather than a cycling helmet if you don't want to look like a twat. Aldi does them from time to time.

If you're looking at brakes, wheels, derailleur and forks, look for a new (different) donor bike that already has what you want. Halfords Carrera bikes aren't bad. You should be able to get one with hydraulic disc brakes for £100 to £150.

Reactions: JohnDaBike

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, this is what I would go for:
1. Wheels, hand built Shimano XT hubs (even disk hubs as they can be used again if you go for another bike) with Mavic cross country rim, something like a XC321.
2. Brakes, XT v brakes (even just the brakes, use current levers)or Magura rim brakes
3. Mudguards, I have these: Bontrager NCS fenders, they do a 26" version.
7. Shimano XT derailleur, chain KMC or SRAM.
I am unsure about the others so I left them blank.

Reactions: JohnDaBike