When six is not enough!

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
The simple answer being.....add one more.

You may recall on a previous thread I mentioned my Mistral was fitted with a seven speed thumb shifter. A bit strange considering it only had a bunch o' six on the wheel. This upgrade to a seven speed cluster now allocates a cog for every click, but that was not the only reason for this change.

Riders in geographically chaotic areas will be quite happy with the standard road gearing on the Mistral, but it didn't suit my own needs. Yes, there are some steep hills around Swindon....which I avoid like the plague. If there's no other route I will tackle them, but rest assured, long before that chain gets to the 28 toother...I'm off it and taking the opportunity to flame up a dirty one. The majority of my riding is on flattish terrain, and I really wanted a higher top cog to compliment the Mistrals speed in sport mode...at a sensible cadence!.

There's not a great deal of choice with screw-on freewheels...those with a 34tooth granny gear immediately ruled out, it's highly unlikely the short-armed SIS with it's lack of "B-tension" adjustment would be able to acommodate such a cog. Eventually I chose the Sun Racer 13t - 28t cluster. Also purchased was the FR-1a freewheel remover...bored out to 12.1 mm to suit the Mistral's oversized axle.

The chain on my machine had clearly been running uncomfortably close to the seatstay. When refitting the wheel I moved the thick torque washer across to the drive side...this gave an extra 2.7 mm frame/chain clearance. The first attempt to set up the mech failed...the bog standard chain fitted to the Mistral was a bit unhappy and flatly refused to clamber onto the 28T. The chain was replaced with a 7.45mm wide seven speed chamfered plate type saved from a recently dismantled long wheelbase machine....this chain had done around 600 miles so it was nicely run in. The chain needed shortening, but I allowed two extra links to let the jockey pulley rest a little lower. Success! the chain moved smoothly across all seven cogs and climbed onto the 28 without hesitation. Optimum chain alignment occurs in 5th gear so it's nicely centred. The cog spacing's a bit tight, if this causes a problem I'll fit a 7.1mm eight speed chain.

The cadence at 18 mph is now around 74 rpm in top gear... which suits my style very nicely. I haven't a clue what it was before except it was too fast for comfort. A very successful mod'. The Mistral is of course an excellent machine straight out of the box.....and now it's even better....for me that is!.

All the best

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice job Bob, makes a lot of sense, since there's nothing more annoying than being unable to keep up with the
motor without looking desperate.

Yours before was probably like my single speed Quando* before I converted it, a 90 cadence at 18 mph. :eek:

I don't mind a 90 cadence, but I want to be really flying when I'm doing it. :cool:

*48 chainwheel, 14 tooth rear, 20" wheel.

Last edited:

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Bob,

How well does that Bafang motor take a 7 speed? I thought there was only enough axle space for a 6 speed.

I'm away from home at the moment or I'd go out and check.

Nick

C

Cyclezee

Bob,

How well does that Bafang motor take a 7 speed? I thought there was only enough axle space for a 6 speed.

Nick
Nick,

The Wisper has a rear hub Bafang motor with 7 speed on the 905se models.

J:) hn

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bob,

Nick
Although I fitted a 6, my Quando Bafang can take a 7, despite it originally supplied as a single speed freewheel.
The width added by a 7 freewheel over the 6 is extremely small, the smallest two sprockets often made as a
single unit pair.

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Bob,

Nick

Nick,

Was it ever established who makes this motor?.. I remember it was under discussion on the forum a while back.

The SunRace seven speed is 2.7 mm wider than the original Shimano six. If you look closely at the photo you will see where most of this increase is. Note the wide lands on either side of the 13T. These are not evident on Shimano clusters.

As the job progressed I identfied an area where thinning could be done if needed. The large diameter spacer which keeps the outer freewheel journal clear of the motor casing... 1.5 mm could be gained there without compromising the freewheel function.

As it turned out, all that was needed was to increase the frame/chain clearance by moving the torque washer to the drive side.

Regarding the axle length, with the new cluster fitted I have a full thread engagement of the driveside wheel nut with two threads to spare. On the non-drive side 10 mm of axle length remains unused. As you can see, a seven speed is the maximum that could be acommodated.

The wheel tracking is 9mm out.....but heh!...who's looking!.

Hope the trips going well.

Regards

Bob

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
That's far too clean, is it ever used?
I second the sentiment, I'm not sure my bike ever looked that clean even when I first got it!

If you wanted to go for the Shimano 14-34T Megarange freewheel (as used on the Wisper 905SE), you should be able to change the short-armed SIS derailleur for a Shimano Tourney or Shimano Alivio Megarange derailleur for less than £15.

BTW The 34 tooth cog is fantastic for struggling up steep hills.

Regards,

Elephants

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
It's not more gears I want on my Wisper, merely a higher top gear for those long downhill stretches ~ I just don't like / manage a very high cadance.

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
It's not more gears I want on my Wisper, merely a higher top gear for those long downhill stretches ~ I just don't like / manage a very high cadance.
Well the obvious answer used to be to replace the 14-34T with an 11-34T, but those rotters at Shimano stopped making them some time ago.

If you're really, really, really lucky you might just find an 11-34T out there somewhere (although others have tried and failed).

You could try a 13-34T (available from Freemans Cycles, Evans Cycles) which would give a marginally higher top gear, although possibly not enough of a difference to be worth the effort.

Regards,

Elephants

Last edited: