Help! Where do I get a long chain from?

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
I have a Wisper 905 Torque which has a 7 speed 14-34 teeth freewheel, and a 52 tooth single chainring. The problem I have encountered is that given the large chainring and 34 tooth sprocket, it requires an unusually long chain (121 links) which is not readily available at any bike shops or online.

I would value some advice with regard to chains for the bike.

Does anyone know of a chain supplier who can supply bike chains to any given length? I feel sure that there must be somebody somewhere who sells bike chain from a bulk roll to whatever length a customer requires. That would be the easiest solution.

One other solution would be to get rid of the 34 tooth sprocket for a 28 tooth one, which would utilise a shorter chain, hopefully of a standard size available from bike shops. I have never used the 34 tooth sprocket anyway, and the Shimano 7 speed freewheel is available in either 14-34, or 14-28 version, so this would be a viable option.

The question is, would a reduction of 6 teeth on the sprocket bring the chain length down sufficiently? I think the longest generally available chain length is 118 links (possibly 116 links).

Finally, if I go for this option, can I use a normal freewheel lockring extractor? Mine was bought for non-bikes and has a centre spigot to help with location and stability during removal, as shown below.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I had the same problem, I bought 2 chains and took some links off one and put it in the other.

Next time I need to replace the chain I will have spare links

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Thanks for your replies, Raboa and Gringo. Yes, that is a 3rd option and was suggested to me by a local dealer, who was of course trying to sell me 2 chains! Just seems daft buying a full length chain simply to cannibalise it for half a dozen links each time I change the chain. I would welcome thoughts on whether
a) chain can be bought to length, and
b) whether those with more experience with bike making than me think that 6 teeth less on the large sprocket would enable a standard length chain to fit.
Thanks all.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
try them as cut chains to size, those drums are not cheap!

Reactions: Phil Dryden

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
try them as cut chains to size, those drums are not cheap!

Many thanks, SW. Got a query out to them as they state it is for single speed and fixies. Just what I was looking for, although not cheap, however availability rather than price is my main problem.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not cheap lol chains for my bike are £28 and that is the cheap one ;)

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I used to have this problem on my old Ezee Sprint. Just to make matters worse, the chains did not last long. So, as others have mentioned here, I bought 2 chains and made up the correct length, giving me plenty of links for future replacements.
Then an interesting thing happened. Where I was working, we had a visit by an inspector from a large well known manufacturer of aircraft components to perform an audit of our inspection department. Whilst showing him our quarantine store, he spotted my Sprint bike in the bike shed. Now remember electrice bikes in those days were a bit of a novelty. He was very eager to look at it and try it out. Apparently he was a very keen cyclist.
I mentioned about the chain wear problem. He said clean it thoroughly and dip it in a hot mix of paraffin wax and paraffin oil. Tried it and chain lasted much longer. I have noticed since then a number of videos showing this idea.
By the way, in case anyone is interested, we passed the audit with flying colours.

Reactions: Phil Dryden