Help! Where have all the e-bikes gone?!? (Looking for e-bikes in stock...)

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
After an absence of a couple of months, I'm back with the usual tale of "I may soon have a new job, so which e-bike shall I get" ... the difference this time being that every e-bike I look at is currently out of stock!

My question is simply: does anyone know where I can get a folding e-bike within the next 2-3 weeks?

To add a bit of flesh to my question, this time I'm looking for a rear hub motor folding bike, preferably with disc brakes (hopefully hydraulic, though that may be wishful thinking), 7 or 8 speed. It looks like my maximum daily round commute may average out at between 10-15 miles, so a durable frame and decent components are a must but I'll be keeping to relatively decent roads for most of the time. The motor will only be used for assistance on hills so the bike won't need a throttle, but given the length and gradient of some of the hills it would be nice to have at least 3 levels of assistance. I'll be riding to various points where I'll be picked up and the bike will then fold down into the back of a van where it will be sheltered for the working day, so it doesn't have to be truly compact - it just needs to take up less room than a full-size bike. A price of less than £1000 would be great, and I'd even consider cheapie generic e-bikes with a view to paying more for a longer lasting bike at a later date (the job will pay well enough for that to be a viable option ... assuming I get it this time, seeing as every other time I've mentioned potential new jobs on here I haven't even been invited to interview!).

My first choice (Woosh Rambletta) is out of stock until early September and all my other options all the way down to Decathlon's B'Twin Tilt 500 at the bottom of the list are also out of stock. I'm happy to see Covid restrictions have created such appetite for e-bikes, but I wish some had been left for me... :D

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I've asked a similar question on my thread
But I am likely going to wait more than 3 weeks.

This was suggested and appears to be in stock but you'll have to check.
Has disc brakes.

They have others but are they really in stock?

Reactions: hairyneville

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kudoscycles are trying to clear all their stock.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My question is simply: does anyone know where I can get a folding e-bike within the next 2-3 weeks?
from August, supplies will get back steadily to normal.
From October, you'll start getting early Christmas discounts...

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Its not just e bikes sold out, people have bought any bike ;)both new and second-hand no one has many in stock
Even stocks of tyres and inner tubes are low
Ebay prices are through the roof with many items selling for more than the cost when new
Bargains in a couple of months :)when that new unused bike takes up to much space and it gets cold and wet

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have to agree, the panic impulse buys this year will likely languish in the shed or garage once things straighten out a little, some will be sold with the owners expecting unrealistic prices for there pristine little used bikes.
Even now with the change in the cooler unsettled summer weather the fair weather riders are nowhere to be seen.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
There's one here in stock at £569.95

but its a fairly basic bike but does fit some of your criteria. It's only a 24V battery but then it's 20" wheels so its more lower geared than larger bikes which is easier for the motor hub. It will probably sell out very soon, the other two colours are already sold out although they were £20 cheaper.

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
I've asked a similar question on my thread
But I am likely going to wait more than 3 weeks.

This was suggested and appears to be in stock but you'll have to check.
Has disc brakes.

They have others but are they really in stock?
Thanks for that - I did have a quick look on the forums before posting but somehow completely missed your post!

I have to say I'm also a bit distrustful of the "in stock" status on that website...

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
Kudoscycles are trying to clear all their stock.
The Kudos Spirit seems to fit the bill, but I looked at Kudos' Ebay store (under Rally Design) and they don't have it in stock on there despite the "in stock" status on the Kudos website - which I assume isn't their focus at the moment having read elsewhere on the forums about their reasons for temporarily withdrawing from e-bikes.

Just completely the wrong time for trying to buy a folding e-bike, I suppose!

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
If I do get the job then things look likely to move quickly (should have an interview next week, possibly starting the job the following week) so I'll need to get my hands on a folding bike pretty quickly as well.

I'd actually firmly decided to get the Rambletta, but as usual I'm back in the Catch 22 of needing a bike to get to work while at the same time needing confirmed work to get a bike, with the added complication of there being practically no bikes to be got at the price I want to pay anyway!

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
Its not just e bikes sold out, people have bought any bike ;)both new and second-hand no one has many in stock
Even stocks of tyres and inner tubes are low
Ebay prices are through the roof with many items selling for more than the cost when new
Bargains in a couple of months :)when that new unused bike takes up to much space and it gets cold and wet
I've already found quite a few classified ads online for broken e-bikes, so I'm wondering if I should make a list of the brands to avoid in case they've all broken just during lockdown! :D

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
There's one here in stock at £569.95

but its a fairly basic bike but does fit some of your criteria. It's only a 24V battery but then it's 20" wheels so its more lower geared than larger bikes which is easier for the motor hub. It will probably sell out very soon, the other two colours are already sold out although they were £20 cheaper.

That's really useful, thanks. Not such a bad price for a potential "desperate alternative" purchase, either. :D

I just need to decide whether to cash in some of my Premium Bonds to get the bike now and possibly not get the job (meaning I could've waited for any of my other options to come back in stock!), or risk it going out of stock by waiting to find out whether or not I actually get the job (which should happen relatively quickly ... but maybe not quickly enough)... :-o

It's down to me to deal with that particular headache, but thanks very much for pointing me in the direction of the bike!

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
That's really useful, thanks. Not such a bad price for a potential "desperate alternative" purchase, either. :D

I just need to decide whether to cash in some of my Premium Bonds to get the bike now and possibly not get the job (meaning I could've waited for any of my other options to come back in stock!), or risk it going out of stock by waiting to find out whether or not I actually get the job (which should happen relatively quickly ... but maybe not quickly enough)... :-o

It's down to me to deal with that particular headache, but thanks very much for pointing me in the direction of the bike!
The 8.8AH battery is not great - (hence the lower relative price) but if you really really need one now , you could possibly upgrade or sell on later.

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
The 8.8AH battery is not great - (hence the lower relative price) but if you really really need one now , you could possibly upgrade or sell on later.
My thoughts exactly. From what I understand of the job I'd have 3 relatively short but hilly daily commutes of about 8 miles with the other 2 days featuring longer round commutes of anything up to about 20 miles (I'm not sure yet of the exact sites for those days).

That 8.8Ah battery's a bit of a worry. My last e-bike had a 10Ah battery which reliably covered the 18 mile round commute I was doing at the time, but I still had to recharge every evening to make sure it didn't run out at an inopportune moment, such as climbing a hill ahead of an artic or tractor or something like that. :D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Trying to second guess on both the job and bike is a game in it self, expecting to have a bike delivered in short time could end up as a few weeks or more .

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I've already found quite a few classified ads online for broken e-bikes, so I'm wondering if I should make a list of the brands to avoid in case they've all broken just during lockdown! :D
Remember ebikes aren't like normal bikes, the battery pack has about a minimum of 500 charges at full capacity and then capacity starts dropping making the bike less usable. People often sell their ebikes with end of life battery packs for quite high prices. Ebikes make more sense new than conventional bikes because of this. Obviously if you can be sure the battery is good, i.e. bought the ebike a month ago with receipt then great but its common for many ebikes to be sold after about 2 years approx in with a poor capacity battery. Always factor in the worst case scenario to the price you pay for an ebike. Also look at how the battery pack connects to the bike. I remember reading somewhere about a Carrera Crosscity ebike which is a lovely ebike don't get me wrong but someone paid £450 when at the time the new price was £650 (£850 now I think) but the battery only had about 5 miles capacity after a short period of time and would cut out and also was an internal battery pack. In the end paid something like £280 for a replacement battery and the bike was quite heavily worn. Just had a quick look and those batterys are up to £360 now. Ebike batteries aren't like phone batteries they have to give out huge current and get a hard life and have a finite lifespan. Also I remember reading someone in a forum who couldn't believe how much his old ebike sold for. He got it on the cycle2work scheme as it was below £1000 so got all the tax benefits knocking it back to something like £600 and with a heavily used battery got back pretty much what he paid for it and had about 2-1/2 years use out of it with no cost, apart from charging the battery of course. Just making the point be sensible buying secondhand, often new can be better value. I might add I am not a seller of ebikes, it might seem that way pushing new sales but just a sensible observation.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
When I see the cost of ebike batteries I do wonder when their prices will start to really drop. I still remember when NiMH batteries first appeared costing the earth now their as cheap as chips.
I know Li-on cells do a tough job so are bound to cost more but still it's a mass production process, I'm pretty sure a £400 ebike battery doesn't cost anywhere near that amount to manufacture.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
What's happened to the Crusa? It's on your website but not listed in the bikes due back in stock later this year.

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
Trying to second guess on both the job and bike is a game in it self, expecting to have a bike delivered in short time could end up as a few weeks or more .
That's also a concern. I've checked the electric bike shops nearby - predictably none of them stock rear hub e-folders and only about half of them stock any kind of e-folders (the cheapest being £2000!).

hairyneville

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2020
Remember ebikes aren't like normal bikes, the battery pack has about a minimum of 500 charges at full capacity and then capacity starts dropping making the bike less usable. People often sell their ebikes with end of life battery packs for quite high prices. Ebikes make more sense new than conventional bikes because of this. Obviously if you can be sure the battery is good, i.e. bought the ebike a month ago with receipt then great but its common for many ebikes to be sold after about 2 years approx in with a poor capacity battery. Always factor in the worst case scenario to the price you pay for an ebike. Also look at how the battery pack connects to the bike. I remember reading somewhere about a Carrera Crosscity ebike which is a lovely ebike don't get me wrong but someone paid £450 when at the time the new price was £650 (£850 now I think) but the battery only had about 5 miles capacity after a short period of time and would cut out and also was an internal battery pack. In the end paid something like £280 for a replacement battery and the bike was quite heavily worn. Just had a quick look and those batterys are up to £360 now. Ebike batteries aren't like phone batteries they have to give out huge current and get a hard life and have a finite lifespan. Also I remember reading someone in a forum who couldn't believe how much his old ebike sold for. He got it on the cycle2work scheme as it was below £1000 so got all the tax benefits knocking it back to something like £600 and with a heavily used battery got back pretty much what he paid for it and had about 2-1/2 years use out of it with no cost, apart from charging the battery of course. Just making the point be sensible buying secondhand, often new can be better value. I might add I am not a seller of ebikes, it might seem that way pushing new sales but just a sensible observation.

Number of charges is something I always take into account. Ideally I'd hope to charge only twice a week at most, but it seems most of the e-folders currently in stock have only 6Ah or 8Ah batteries which pretty badly affects the value for money in my eyes - with potentially daily charging the battery would probably "run down" within a few months.

I'm also keen to avoid internal batteries because they seem to carry some potentially costly niggles. In my particular circumstances there's no need to conceal the fact that I have an e-bike as it'll only be publicly visible when my gorilla-like personage is pedalling away on it!

One thing I learned from the debacle with my old e-bike (Kalkhoff Pro Connect i8 with infamous Impulse 2.0 motor...) is that it's simply not enough to research an e-bike by brand and model - it's vitally important to research the electrical components as well.