where is everyone tonight?

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
It's very quiet.. too quiet..

Let's start a contoversial conversation..

e-bike companies find it easy to take the p** out of their customers because most of them are retired. Discuss.:D

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
you will find the evening queit if you start threads like this that have nothing to do with electric bikes and just incite nasty words.....:mad:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Ive never had a problem with any e-bike company may be i am one of the lucky ones:D in fact they have treated me very well 50 cycles allowed me to pay for my torq in 2 payments and any repairs they were very helpfull:) when i buy another electric bike it will be from 50 cycles.nigel.:D

richard

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2007
berkshire RG8 UK
I enjoy this forum principally for the technical knowledge I gain in a subject that I am really interested in.
However I also enjoy reading the opinions of others and the (usually lighthearted) banter.
So I will say that I am not impressed with the tone of the start of this thread.
Also with regard to internet suppliers I just wish in the past I had received the the same level of attention and service as I have had from 50 cycles.
yours grumpy,retired, feeling his age,pissed off
richard

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Apologies to all concerned.. I wasn't in any way suggesting that I endorsed the sentiment (as discuss indicates.) I do believe, however that pensioners in our society do get a raw deal from many organisations and institutions, as recently demonstrated by the utilities companies who have raised bills by up to 50% in some places(without any government intervention) Also, government policy at both national and local level betrays nothing but contempt for the elderly. The fact for example that pensioers have to pay full council tax on top of a completely inadequate and insulting pension is scandalous. Therefore, my debate topic was not meant to be malicious,I was in my clumsy way trying to highlight an attitude problem and a mind set in this country that is wholly wrong.

In response to Scott's of 50cycles comments that pensioners are like Victor Meldrew..I rest my case!

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Well looks like Musicbooks got his discussion – all be it one sided.
Doesn’t he like living dangerously :eek:
Just think one day he will be one too - oh dear :eek:
Perhaps next time Musicbooks should drink his horlicks and go to bed like a good boy and stop annoying the older, wiser and probably have seen it all folks :rolleyes:

C

Critical Mass

Bad move

Musicbooks,

You sort of almost kind of vaguely criticised 50hz with your opening post. Big mistake. Still you'll know better next time.

Naughty Musicbooks.

:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't agree that pensioners should get subsidies or special considerations.

Our country generates a pot of cash, and anything extra given to pensioners like myself has to be taken away from others, it doesn't come out of thin air.

In the current situation where many younger people are blighted by house prices they can never dream of affording, high rents, unstable employment futures and equally rising bills, my sympathy is with them.

As someone of 72 years, I've lived through an age of things getting continuously better from the gloomy days of WW2. First living standards rising continuously, then employment so full that employers had to pay bribes to get people to work for them. Mortgages at very low rates fixed for life, coupled with very low house prices. Rents as little as one tenth of income. Jobs for life still existing, many completing their entire working life in one profession or even one job.

As such, most of us had more than enough opportunity to make adequate provisions for our futures, and those who did not have no right to expect today's young to bail them out from their foolishness and lack of foresight.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I don't agree that pensioners should get subsidies or special considerations.

Our country generates a pot of cash, and anything extra given to pensioners like myself has to be taken away from others, it doesn't come out of thin air.

In the current situation where many younger people are blighted by house prices they can never dream of affording, high rents, unstable employment futures and equally rising bills, my sympathy is with them.

As someone of 72 years, I've lived through an age of things getting continuously better from the gloomy days of WW2. First living standards rising continuously, then employment so full that employers had to pay bribes to get people to work for them. Mortgages at very low rates fixed for life, coupled with very low house prices. Rents as little as one tenth of income. Jobs for life still existing, many completing their entire working life in one profession or even one job.

As such, most of us had more than enough opportunity to make adequate provisions for our futures, and those who did not have no right to expect today's young to bail them out from their foolishness and lack of foresight.
There are plenty of people who contibuted all their lives to private pension schemes, only to find themselves left with nothing after the fat cats have plundered and shareholders pocketed..I think it's about attitudes and the fact that people who contribute a lifetime to a society, either through wartime sacrifice or forty years plus of momentous taxes should receive treatment by society that at least equates to equality. I'm not suggesting for one minute that things are worse than the austere period before during and after the war, but if we consider other, some would say, more enlightened countries such as Sweden and Denmark, people of a certain age are respected and included rather than mostly ignored by the media, abused by the government marginalised by teenage marketing departments of multinationals, then finally consigned to the drug adled desperation of a care home.

But hey, let's agree to disagree Flecc and leave that one for another non e-bike forum..I promise to stick to batteries and broken spokes in future!

musicbooks

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
I agree absolutely. This virtual inability of young people to own a house to begin life in, is the major problem of current society in my view, and should be tackled before practically anything else at all. A couple owning the roof over their heads is the basis of solid British life. I know things are different in France but that is a different type of excellent society.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are plenty of people who contibuted all their lives to private pension schemes, only to find themselves left with nothing after the fat cats have plundered and shareholders pocketed..I think it's about attitudes and the fact that people who contribute a lifetime to a society, either through wartime sacrifice or forty years plus of momentous taxes should receive treatment by society that at least equates to equality. I'm not suggesting for one minute that things are worse than the austere period before during and after the war, but if we consider other, some would say, more enlightened countries such as Sweden and Denmark, people of a certain age are respected and included rather than mostly ignored by the media, abused by the government marginalised by teenage marketing departments of multinationals, then finally consigned to the drug adled desperation of a care home.

But hey, let's agree to disagree Flecc and leave that one for another non e-bike forum..I promise to stick to batteries and broken spokes in future!

musicbooks
Actually I don't disagree with much of this Musicbooks, but as I said, most were able to provide and were not the victims of that plundering, and yet they still jump on the complaining bandwagon. In fact I was a victim of another form of unfair loss, a massive one, but I just move on and live life, not wasting time in getting miserable about it.

Equally, I agree that many other countries like Sweden, Germany and France have very much higher pensions, but our economy is very different from theirs and produces a different pot of cash which we have to live with. I'm sure the government would love to wave a wand and have instant redistribution with higher pensions and lower house prices for example, but we have the legacy of the policies of many years ago and now have to live with the consequences.

One of the consequences is that my gain from that pot is another's loss, all too often that other person being less able to cope with the loss.

So I place my conscience before financial gain.

P.S. I support your right to post on this here by the way. Although this is an e-bike forum, The Charging Post is expressly for non-biking subjects, so it's not you who's in the wrong!

Here's the intro:

The Charging Post
A place to recharge your batteries, meet new friends and talk about things not specifically related to electric bikes.

Last edited:

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
yo..waaasssuuuupppp !

Hi Musicbook

Hope I can entertain you.

Pensioner are probably the worst people to annoy because they are both older ,wiser and probably have seen it all before. Plus they have plenty of time on there hands to complain like Victor Meldrew, a company of any kind would be silly to intentionally take the p... out of its customers.

If you feel you are having the p... taking out of you please let me know why you feel this way?

I am sure you cannot be referring to we, but if you are I can assure you we have the upmost respect for the ageing population of the world and really have better things to do than to take the beep.

Cheers

Scott
thought someone was calling... but now i'm here, i'd like to say that the senior citizens do most definitely get a raw deal in addition to bad press, unfair treatment and serious attitude from mainstream society. But, i feel more sympathy for the young, the competitive, consumerist, materialist, disposable, polluted world they are to inherit. The way we live now quite simply cannot go on, it is costing the Earth. It is the young who will have to figure all this mess out, attempt global amends. These will have been the most gilded of the Golden Days of Old.

beep over

Advertisers