Where to buy TSDZ2 - and have i got the right items on my list.

not dave

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Hi all, Woosh have sold out of the TSDZ2 and won't have any in stock for a couple of months. Looking where to buy and it seems the only place i can find in Uk or Europe is pswpower or eBay.

I want to buy UK or EU due to delivery times. It will be going on a 2015 Whyte Dorset, (basically a drop handled bar commuter, integrated brake and gear levers, 700 wheels and i have a pannier rack installed) The longest i cycle currently is around 30 miles, but imagine i may want to go further than that if i have the 'bionic legs' that an crank drive motor apparently gives the rider! There is a long hilly route that i wish to tackle, but happy that i may need to buy an additional small battery pack for that journey.

I am looking to buy the following items:-

PSWPower links
EU No Tax 48V 14.5Ah Hairon the interior battery SAMSUNG INR18650-29E ebike battery fit 48V 750W/ 1000W
EU No Tax 48V500W /48V750W 15A TSDZ2 mid drive motor with torque sensor throttle e-brake lever (options chosen, 48V500W, VLCD5)
This kit is $719 which converts to £591 using my banks exchange rate

Alternatively i could buy the kit from eBay, but will cost approx £90 more - do i get better protection from eBay vs using PayPal on the PSWPower site?
Spedizione gratuita in 48V14.5Ah Hairon SAMSUNG batteria compatibile 48V1000W
EU-TSDZ2-48V500W-750W-Central-Mid-Drive-Motor-Ebike-Kit-throttle-e-brake-lever

Do i need to buy anything else?
Is there any other kit or seller i should be considering instead?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I use psw power direct and paypal have used 4 kits with out problems
current if in stock is the problem blink and its gone;):rolleyes: everybody wants to build now

Reactions: not dave

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

not dave

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Thanks.
Enerprof.

Thanks for the recommendation. They don’t have any 48v kits but have sent them a message.
what is the ’real world’ difference between the 36v 250w kit that Enerprof have and the PSWPower 48v500w kit?
Will there be much difference in the feel?
If I spent the same on batteries, would one be more efficient than the other if I ride in the same manner?

not dave

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
I use psw power direct and paypal have used 4 kits with out problems
current if in stock is the problem blink and its gone;):rolleyes: everybody wants to build now
Thanks.
Are the items I linked suitable/compatible/all I need?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex

not dave

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Would never buy another 36v tsdz2 lacks grunt hairdryer:oops:

The brake levers in the kit a for cable brakes and flat bars ,but the switch is removable , the kit has most things just a few cable ties and rivnuts required to tidy things up i used the cheaper battery
Thanks. I think I’ve read that a few users have not used the brake switch. Are they needed given that you would stop pedalling before you brake?

edit
Two more question (sorry)
Why are the 500w and 750w kits the same price. From my naive understanding I world have that that the more powerful motor would have needed better materials and a larger coil
Can I keep my dual front derailleur?

Last edited:

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Why are the 500w and 750w kits the same price.
The hardware is the same. There may be some difference in software but I am not sure as they have identical 48v controllers and motors in spare parts list. Perhaps its just the speed (or possibly amps) setting that makes the difference.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Tongsheng make only one 48V controller. It's capable of 10A continuous, 20A peak.
The 36V controller has the same design.
The dealers modified the max Amp setting to suit their marketing. The more Amps they set, the more likely you need to replace the blue gear which is the motor clutch and higher probability of overheating the controller.

Reactions: Wirdy and not dave

SimonM

Just Joined
Apr 13, 2020
Hi all,
I'm new on here but not Dave has pretty much asked the options I was following for my conversion.
sorry to jump in but if the TSDZ2 has the torque sensor whats the function of the throttle and brake switches? are they needed?

Reactions: MurrayK

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the throttle is needed for hills.
Torque sensored motors multiply your effort. If you want more out of the motor, you need to input more by pedalling harder and faster.
The throttle is there if and when you are tired.
If you have the throttle, you have to fit brake sensors, in case the throttle gets jammed.
You have too decide whether you want the throttle or not, you cannot retrofit the throttle later. The controllers, wiring looms and LCDs are wired differently. The throttle version uses 8-pin instead of 6 and Tongsheng don't make hydraulic brake sensors.

not dave

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Ah. Didn’t know that regarding hydraulic brakes. But I don't think it would matter too much to me. I didn't foresee myself using the throttle only without pedaling.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you fit the throttle and don't use it you really should fit at least one brake cut off to prevent the controller from blowing or motor damage, damp/rain can cause the throttle to short or the sensor/ wiring can develop a fault. If this occurs the throttle will always be on and stopping the bike without a cut out will blow the controller, the cut out is simple and breaks the circuit to protect the controller/motor.

Electric Dream

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 16, 2020
Devon
I bought the 48V 12AH TSDZ2 kit with throttle from Woosh and fitted it to a 2020 Kona Mahuna MTB. I didn’t use The brake levers as the Kona has hydraulic brakes, this hasn’t caused any issues in normal use but I understand the concerns regarding a throttle malfunction. In my case the levers came in handY. The motor spacers and securing screws were too short for the width of my bottom bracket, so I used the longer screws from the break levers , and cut down the break adjusters to use as spacers.

I also had to get creative with the battery mount, due to small frame size.
This meant I could no longer use the battery lock And I had some concerns about the battery bouncing off the electrical contacts.

After more than 100 miles and some fairly rough trails I have had no issues and I am loving the conversion.

unfortunately I have voided my warranty by removing the speed limit but I’m willing to take my chances and repair / replace component parts as and when required.

A video of my build can be seen here;

Many thanks to Woosh Bikes for supplying the kit which allowed me to build a quality electric bike at a bargain price

Reactions: RobN and not dave

not dave

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
If you fit the throttle and don't use it you really should fit at least one brake cut off to prevent the controller from blowing or motor damage, damp/rain can cause the throttle to short or the sensor/ wiring can develop a fault. If this occurs the throttle will always be on and stopping the bike without a cut out will blow the controller, the cut out is simple and breaks the circuit to protect the controller/motor.
Thanks, how do i fit the brake cut off to my levers - Shimano ST3500 ?

not dave

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
And one more question - is it possible to use a dual front chaining with this motor?

PS, the drive and get spec is:
Drive
- bottom bracket FSA Mega Exo
- cassette (rear cogs) Shimano CS-3500 Sora 11-32, 9 Speed
- chain Shimano HG-53, 9 Speed
- crank FSA Omega 34-50, 9 Speed, Compact Double
- pedals Fibre reinforced Composite with Toe Clip

Gearing
- derailleur front Shimano FD-3500 Sora, 9 Speed
- derailleur rear Shimano RD-4601 Tiagra
- gears 18
- shifter(s) Shimano ST-3500 Sora, 9 Speed

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Road bike levers will be/ are a harder solution to fit cut outs to them & make them look nice when fitted, only one cut out is needed and rear lever is best utilised as it frees rh for signals.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
And one more question - is it possible to use a dual front chaining with this motor?
There are five hole spider adapters for 104 & 130bcd chainrings, 32t/42t or 44t is as low/large as you can go for warranty though chain line will be compromised.

You risk stripping the Blue internal drive gear with the 50t set up but there is a brass replacement available which may allow a larger chainring.

Last edited: