Where's the battery?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

There's 300 Wh hiding in that tool bag and capable of more than 30 amps, which takes that bike with a BBDHD up to 20 miles. Things get better all the time. It's a 52v 6Ah Mighty Mini Cube from Luna Cycles. That would be 14S2P GA cells at 1.5kg. I bet you could get an equivalent from Jimmy at Insat or whatever he calls himself now. 10S2P would be 36v 6Ah and only one kg.

Reactions: jwm

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
DON'T CLICK ON THE PHOTO!!!!

Malware hell broke loose when I clicked on the pic above... :(

There's 300 Wh hiding in that tool bag and capable of more than 30 amps, which takes that bike with a BBDHD up to 20 miles. Things get better all the time. It's a 52v 6Ah Mighty Mini Cube from Luna Cycles. That would be 14S2P GA cells at 1.5kg. I bet you could get an equivalent from Jimmy at Insat or whatever he calls himself now. 10S2P would be 36v 6Ah and only one kg.
Now we're talking. I'd happily carry another Luna mini brick in a back pack to take it to 40 miles. I must look closer at these little packs.
Do Luna still ship batteries to UK then? I thought since carrier t&c changes they weren't. Cheers d8veh :) nice to see

Sent from here to there with computer wizardry.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
DON'T CLICK ON THE PHOTO!!!!

Malware hell broke loose when I clicked on the pic above... :(
You must have over sensitive virus software. Checked with Norton on PC and Kaspersky on tablet and nowt picked up.

The photo link is on d8veh's Photobucket account, so should be ok.

D

Deleted member 4366

All my photos are in the same place. There's never been a problem before.Photobucket makes pop-up ads. I reckon that it was those that were detected.

Yes, Luna do send to UK. We,ve bought a few of those batteries, though they're relatively expensive for what they are at over £300.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Aren't popup ads malware? ;) One click and my tablet/phone was vibrating and opening windows with very nasty messages. About 5 windows in all. I am sure I have looked at other photos from your albums without problems? Maybe not on that tablet.

I like what lunacycle are doing. A wee bit pricey. Their new range of smart chargers is interesting too.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I've marked where it is - in spot the ball style.
It must be there, the give away is the misshaped downtube.
Did I win?bike.jpg

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They had a new guy at the frame factory and he bent a couple of tubes before he got the hang of things :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 4366

They got mixed up when they welded up the frame. They used small size for the top half and medium for the bottom half.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
seriously, has anybody thought of hiding the battery inside the BBS01 style motors?

D

Deleted member 4366

seriously, has anybody thought of hiding the battery inside the BBS01 style motors?
It might be a bit warm in there, and there's only enough room for a couple of AAAs. I don't think 3v and 3 Wh would be enough. Probably a bit more room in your GSM if you took the controller out - maybe 6v and 6Wh might get you off your driveway.

Reactions: brightonebikes

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A water bottle battery like the Keyde is quite stealthy

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
What is the saddle bag used? That battery must be tiny even compared to lipo's.
This thread has just reminded me of a battery hiding project I started about 18months ago and come up with this idea for a 10s 6ah lipo block. I never did get to finish the project but the many bags I bought are still kicking around my garage unused so far. This is a topeak mondopackXL
IMAG0052.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

The battery is a Luna Mighty Mini 52v 6Ah. It's a 14S2P, so 28 18650 cells.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
161 x 98 x 66 mm - 2.1 kg that is 4 x 4 Ah Turnigy 5S nano-tech in a 2P2S configuration

8 Ah at 25C :) 296 Wh nominative, about 266 real Wh = 35 km or so in my neck of the woods. It will do to the station and back. On flat land it will go forever...

166€ plus the wires and it fits nicely in this:
roswheel-bag.png
I am going to pull the trigger on this as soon as I stop procrastinating and get a few more web pages built (€€€). I will then have a long range battery and a mucking about every day battery which can also be used together to give about 100 miles or 160 km whichever comes first YMMMV... :rolleyes: Now that I have the NCX I think my back and bum can handle distances like that. Where would I want to go that is 80 km from here? Getaria for some anchovies for example!

And <drumroll> the charging time at 1C will be in minutes :) not hours :eek: for the 4 packs on my new charging rig.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
And <drumroll> the charging time at 1C will be in minutes :) not hours :eek: for the 4 packs on my new charging rig.
Surely by definition a 1C charge will never take less than an hour, unless it's only a partial charge.

The charge I need for my daily errands takes under 15 minutes (0.66C/1300W), but my primary pack is so big (1865Wh) that it only accounts for under 10% pack capacity. I fully expect this pack to last at least five years since the cells spend most of their time operating in the 3.9-3.8V range.

For this reason, I think that unless you really require lightweight, small packs can often turn out to be a false economy if they require replacing frequently. Others' experiences might vary, but then I do like riding WOT at high power levels if I think I can get away with it (on my private estate, of course).

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • :D
Reactions: Kinninvie and trex

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Dannelree I suspect he means at 25c the battery rating.
I would like to see the power pack that could put 160 amps into my 36volt pack though (16ah 10c rated:D)

D

Deleted member 4366

161 x 98 x 66 mm - 2.1 kg that is 4 x 4 Ah Turnigy 5S nano-tech in a 2P2S configuration
According to Hobbyking. Those packs weigh 0.643 kg each, so 4 of them would weigh 2.572 kg, without the harness alarms and monitoring system. The Luna battery is exactly 1.5 kg. That's a significant difference on a light-weight build.

Another consideration is the life-cycle. In theory the Luna battery would last twice as long, which takes away the price difference.

The Samsung 30Q cells can be rapid charged at 4 amps per cell, which is 8 amps for the pack, so you could charge the pack in 45 minutes if you wanted.

Reactions: brightonebikes