Which bike for a BBSHD build?

Deus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2014
Dewsbury
Can anyone recommend a bike that would make for an easy build with a BBSHD kit 68-73 standard BB mountain bike style ? i have seen quite a few builds where people have had to use spacers or grind chainstays etc i am looking for a smooth first build if at all possible.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The easiest bikes for the BBS kits are the Halfords Carreras and Boardmans.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Hi deus.. I built mine on an old Carrera frame, You are welcome to come and have a look at it if you want, you are only 20 miles from me.bike6.jpg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Whoosh i notice the Carreras say BB is ''sealed cartridge'' what does this mean ?
that means the ball bearings are in sealed units. Most square taper BBs are of that type nowadays. You can't clean the ball bearings in these BBs, when they get notchy, replace with a new one. They cost £10.

Reactions: Deus

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
The easiest bikes for the BBS kits are the Halfords Carreras and Boardmans.
I just finished my Carrera BBSHD build and, maybe it's just my bottom bracket but it was a pig to install.

The threads on the BBSHD kept catching on the threads in the bottom bracket midway through. I ended up having to Dremel to get it in.

Other than that I just had enough clearance to get the speed sensor working with the bulky cable and socket.

francis janssen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2017
Epsom
Surprised you found this. The Carrera Sulcata is one of our favorite builds because its so easy. Its true though, the bottom bracket needs a light sanding to open the hole a smidgen, but not more than five minutes by hand in our experience. Great frame for great money!

Reactions: daveboy

Daz73

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2020
Surprised you found this. The Carrera Sulcata is one of our favorite builds because its so easy. Its true though, the bottom bracket needs a light sanding to open the hole a smidgen, but not more than five minutes by hand in our experience. Great frame for great money!
Hello fellas, looking at converting my sulcata to electric , any links to best kits ( only due to thread age ) .. only around 500w will be fine for me.. thanks

Advertisers