Which first ebike, Voodoo Bizango or Cube Reaction Hybrid ?????

Lee5005

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2020
Margate Kent
Hi all

I'm 56 male and cycle for fitness and want to go further / longer so want to buy and ebike, budget of £2k.
Most riding will be road or simple trails.

I'm currently deciding between:
Voodoo Bizango-E Shimano Electric Mountain Bike
or
Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 500

My current normal bike has 26" tyres so am quite drawn to 29" for better rolling, is this much difference?

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments for each bike, or maybe an alternative, i'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Most riding will be road or simple trails.
Both are very nice e-bikes in their own way, but both would frustrate the hell out me for the type of riding you want to do: You don't need that depth of suspension (100-135mm) or that style or width of tyre (65mm) for road or light trail riding. IMHO, both are really hard-tail MTB's for more serious off-road trails, and pretty naff for road use.

There are plenty of e-bikes I'd think are better suited to your purpose - I would look more to a regular hybrid style with 700c - 35/38/42 tyre. Cube offer a huge selection of these.

Lee5005

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2020
Margate Kent
Both are very nice e-bikes in their own way, but both would frustrate the hell out me for the type of riding you want to do: You don't need that depth of suspension (100-135mm) or that style or width of tyre (65mm) for road or light trail riding. IMHO, both are really hard-tail MTB's for more serious off-road trails, and pretty naff for road use.

There are plenty of e-bikes I'd think are better suited to your purpose - I would look more to a regular hybrid style with 700c - 35/38/42 tyre. Cube offer a huge selection of these.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
I see what you mean, I wanted the ability to go 'off track' if need be but am now thinking is that ability going to frustrate my general riding.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For simple trails a hybrid with ability to fit up to 50mm tyres is more then good enough, even for my off road rough rides I use 42mm 700c tyres. I'm the same age as you Lee. Cater for the riding you mainly choose, rather then the odd trip you may make, look at a CX bike or Gravel type with a slightly more relaxed geometry.

Lee5005

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2020
Margate Kent
For simple trails a hybrid with ability to fit up to 50mm tyres is more then good enough, even for my off road rough rides I use 42mm 700c tyres. I'm the same age as you Lee. Cater for the riding you mainly choose, rather then the odd trip you may make, look at a CX bike or Gravel type with a slightly more relaxed geometry.

Thanks Neil, appreciate the comment.
Well, 2 replies and both saying the same thing. At the moment I ride a 2012 normal Voodoo Hoodoo and i must admit, I am now drawn to the larger, easier rolling 29" wheels with hybrid or road tyres as suggested.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For jaunts on trails but with mainly road use select a tyre that can do both, a tyre with a smooth centre strip and treaded outers for grip on the rougher stuff.

A tyre like this one for best of both worlds.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Well, 2 replies and both saying the same thing.
Well, here's a third saying something different:
I (and I'm not the only one) have a cube reaction hybrid that I use mainly on the road, but also some trail type stuff. Its fantastic, and with wide yet smooth rolling tyres, doesn't frustrate me one bit on the road.
If all you are doing is smooth road and nothing but smooth road, they yes, you can do just as well with a bike with less (or no!) suspension, and thinner wheels. The reaction hybrid is indeed 'too much bike'.
But I also ride bikes with thinner tyres and lesser suspension, and its those that frustrate the hell out of me whenever I hit less than perfect roads because they are so much more uncomfortable than my Cube! And the same applies when I'm on less than perfect tarmac (i.e. 95% of the uk roads!)
The reaction hybrid is indeed 'too much bike' for some situations, but as long as you don't mind the slight extra purchase cost, its often better to be over biked and only use the additional comfort and control when you need it, instead of being under biked, and never be able to have the option of a better ride.

If we were talking non electric, its a different matter due to the extra weight of a proper hardtail, but for an ebike, this isn't an issue for most people.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are 2 bliss ready hence the play in the name.
The Black belt center ridge is the added P protection, not had one yet with my TL set up.

Last edited:

Lee5005

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2020
Margate Kent
Well, here's a third saying something different:
I (and I'm not the only one) have a cube reaction hybrid that I use mainly on the road, but also some trail type stuff. Its fantastic, and with wide yet smooth rolling tyres, doesn't frustrate me one bit on the road.
If all you are doing is smooth road and nothing but smooth road, they yes, you can do just as well with a bike with less (or no!) suspension, and thinner wheels. The reaction hybrid is indeed 'too much bike'.
But I also ride bikes with thinner tyres and lesser suspension, and its those that frustrate the hell out of me whenever I hit less than perfect roads because they are so much more uncomfortable than my Cube! And the same applies when I'm on less than perfect tarmac (i.e. 95% of the uk roads!)
The reaction hybrid is indeed 'too much bike' for some situations, but as long as you don't mind the slight extra purchase cost, its often better to be over biked and only use the additional comfort and control when you need it, instead of being under biked, and never be able to have the option of a better ride.

If we were talking non electric, its a different matter due to the extra weight of a proper hardtail, but for an ebike, this isn't an issue for most people.

LOL, now i'm going back and forth on my thinking. I think I need to find a dealer and do a test ride, although, not easy in the current climate.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
For jaunts on trails but with mainly road use select a tyre that can do both, a tyre with a smooth centre strip and treaded outers for grip on the rougher stuff.

A tyre like this one for best of both worlds.
Those are very similar in structure to the tyres I use (700c x 38mm tubed): A nice fast rolling centre strip offering minimal drag on the road, with knobbly side bits for gripping the dirt on tracks and trails - even an occasional fairly deeply rutted track/field. 42mm might've been a better choice with hindsight. I'm 59 by the way!

A heavy, wide-tyred e-MTB is IMHO a real pain once you exceed the 15mph assisted cut-off.

As an aside, the last time I spoke to the guy at my LBS (just before the COVID19 bike shortage when people still had a choice of bike), they were selling far more gravel bikes than MTB's for off road/trail use.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
A heavy, wide-tyred e-MTB is IMHO a real pain once you exceed the 15mph assisted cut-off.
One could argue that if you're regularly going to be pedaling hard over the 15mph cutoff, you'd be better off with a non ebike to start with, unless you fit a dongle, in which case, the heavy wide tyred eMTB isn't a problem.

As an aside, the last time I spoke to the guy at my LBS (just before the COVID19 bike shortage when people still had a choice of bike), they were selling far more gravel bikes than MTB's for off road/trail use.
LOL, that's mostly because its currently super trendy and some people like making life difficult for themselves just for the challenge! A proper mountain bike is by far the most sensible option for off road use.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
They look good, what are they like for puncture resistance..
BTW, if you start talking about puncture resistant tyres on this and many other forums, you'll soon get recommendations for Schwalbe Marathon Plus (and the MTB versions).
These are great in some ways, but are hideously un-compliant and give one of the harshest rides out there. I'm not saying don't get them (I use them myself in the winter months), but if you do, you'll be glad of: getting the widest versions possible for lower pressure use, and any extra suspension you might have got on your bike (i.e. the proper hardtail wins again over a more road orientated hybrid)

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
One could argue that if you're regularly going to be pedaling hard over the 15mph cutoff, you'd be better off with a non ebike to start with, unless you fit a dongle, in which case, the heavy wide tyred eMTB isn't a problem.
That's a common enough point of view I suppose. Personally, I'm usually cruising at ease above the cut-off at 18-19-20mph on a flat road, but using assistance on the hills, trails and rougher terrain. I've owned a heavy, wide/knobbly tyre e-MTB and sold it because of the unwieldly weight and on-road drag: Both my e-bikes now are lighter, more nimble/agile, multi-terrain crank-drive hybrids. Horses for courses I suppose. It also strikes me from your comments here that comfort is a big consideration for you - far less so for me (my tyres are mostly kept rock-hard because I hate inefficiency and drag)!

I'm sure the OP will have his own preferences too and form his own view.

Lee5005

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2020
Margate Kent
Hi all, this is my first post here and thanks for all the replies.

I had a test ride today on an haibike hardseven 4.0 and thought it was awesome.
I get all the comments about mtb bike on road, rolling resistance etc but to be honest it flew along and I like the idea of being able to go off road if required.

It is a bit more expensive, £2250, but it is a local shop 25 mins away and I think i'm happy to go over budget a bit to support local shops and have that after sales service.

Only problem is, i think i'm gonna get hooked on it if I get it ;-)
The more i look into this the more i see the attraction and understand the enthusiasm you guys have.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
with a dongle i can overtake any road bike like standing still with full dh tyres on it in 5 years not one has managed to overtake me :p

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I had a test ride today on an haibike hardseven 4.0 and thought it was awesome.
Whatever blows your hair back! Welcome to the "grin" club!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You may over take them with speed SW but they will out range your bike any day of the week.