Help! Which is right for me?

Emmo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2022
Hi there,

I'm looking to get an e-bike and I've been researching them for quite a while to find the best one for me, but I'm struggling to decide. My ideal requirements are:

• Relatively light - ideally 16-18kg or less. I live up 2 floors in a flat.
  • Think I'd prefer a full size bike as a folder might be too limiting to ride (but easier to carry/store?)
  • Preferably disc brakes
  • Preferably a less obvious battery
  • Range 25-30 miles minimum
  • I think it'd mostly be used for errands around town (10 miles or under, many hills), carrying shopping etc., but would like the opportunity to use it on unpaved surfaces or longer occasionally
  • Preferably pannier/guards included
  • Up to £1300
So far I think my best choice is a Woosh Faro but it seems mostly suited for roads - would I be able to install slightly wider tires to make it more hybrid? Alternatively there's the Rambletta too but I'm not sure if a folder is right for me?

I've looked at options like the Pure Flux One, Ezego Commute, Revolutionworks Whippet, but found them lacking or not suiting my requirements well in some areas. The other alternative is a non-electric bike but I'd prefer not to arrive places sweaty with all the hills here.

Thanks for any help!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Worth ringing Woosh to discuss tyre clearance. In the pictures it looks a bit tight for clearance at the front of the back mudguard. A lot of the alternatives will have difficulty with 25-30 hilly miles.

Reactions: Emmo

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
I'd say at £1300 the Faro is probably the only sensible choice, regardless of tyres, i.e. weight, known supplier, price.

You could try for a secondhand Boardman 8.9e HYB or an Orbea Gain/Vibe which both have a lot of tyre clearance, but then you'll have very little comeback if the bike goes wrong. However, if you know a bike is nearly new (check the receipt, and the onboard computer), the risk isn't so big. I managed to pick a secondhand one up with 130 miles and have run it for 1.5 years no problems, and saved £800.

> The other alternative is a non-electric bike but I'd prefer not to arrive places sweaty with all the hills here.
With 18Kg up two flights of stairs you may well arrive at your flat sweaty. :rolleyes:

Emmo

Jan 9, 2022
I'd say at £1300 the Faro is probably the only sensible choice, regardless of tyres, i.e. weight, known supplier, price.

You could try for a secondhand Boardman 8.9e HYB or an Orbea Gain/Vibe which both have a lot of tyre clearance, but then you'll have very little comeback if the bike goes wrong. However, if you know a bike is nearly new (check the receipt, and the onboard computer), the risk isn't so big. I managed to pick a secondhand one up with 130 miles and have run it for 1.5 years no problems, and saved £800.

> The other alternative is a non-electric bike but I'd prefer not to arrive places sweaty with all the hills here.
With 18Kg up two flights of stairs you may well arrive at your flat sweaty. :rolleyes:
Asked Woosh and seems like it would be alright with slightly wider tires, although I'll think about the options.

And yes, I'm a bit worried about having to haul it upstairs each time but otherwise it's locked to the bottom of my apartment block in full view of the door :confused: seems sketchy. I don't mind being sweaty back home anyway, I walk everywhere currently so it ends up happening either way! Seems like the Faro is the best choice, thanks for your input

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Enjoy, and please report back after you've had it a few weeks, always helpful for others.

Reactions: richtea99 and Jodel

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Just round the shops and a bit of pottering ?.

Something like this would be ideal.

Emtb.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
BMS ??
Sorry, one of my pet hates is the way folk abbreviate everything.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
battery management system.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bms is a common unmistakable acronym in battery terms.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Acronyms are a pain to those that don't know them. When I worked for IBM I tried to say the only 3 letter acronym allowed should be 'IBM' ... did't get far though.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Acronyms are a pain to those that don't know them. When I worked for IBM I tried to say the only 3 letter acronym allowed should be 'IBM' ... did't get far though.
IBM ???

Unless you're a child of the 1970/80's, you won't know what that stands for either!

As for AndyBikes recomended ebike: When the battery alone blows the OP's budget, you'd think they'd at least include some pedals...

Oh, but of course, it's German... or at least pretending to be. The pedals too will be made in the Far East and wear a German price tag that'd blow the OP's budget alone.

It's Far East manufacture that put IBM out of business too.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
As for AndyBikes recomended ebike:
Come now, let's not be silly. It wasn't a 'recommended' bike it was a tongue in cheek bit of humour.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It's Far East manufacture that put IBM out of business too.
Only the PC business, other aspects caused the huge shrinkage of it's main businesses.

It wasn't? ...it's being delivered today
Which is being delivered, the Faro or the Cube? Either way, enjoy.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Reactions: sjpt

Emmo

Jan 9, 2022
Only the PC business, other aspects caused the huge shrinkage of it's main businesses.

Which is being delivered, the Faro or the Cube? Either way, enjoy.
I was joking about buying the Cube, way too much for me haha

That said, I am still deliberating between the Faro and Rambletta a bit still - have a bit of time to make the choice as Woosh are switching couriers currently. Still not sure what'd be easier to carry upstairs, 16kg Faro which is more cumbersome or 20kg Rambletta which is smaller :rolleyes: Feel like I probably couldn't go wrong with either, making it more difficult

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Dont forget to keep in mind most hub motors have less torque than mid drive motors*. Not usually a prob if you are commuting, but if theres hills involved and you also intend to carry shopping or are....how do we say.... a little.. er...plump, than it might possibly struggle on the hills and require more input from the legs.

;) I knew you were joshing. Though surprised others didn't get the joke lol

* Standing by.