Which Kit?

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
I'm certain this a constant question but the answer may be different depending on the purpose and the bike to be converted.

I have a Lapierre Raider 229 mtb (2014 model)

http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gamme/2014/mtb/sport/raid-229-0
http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gamme/2014/mtb/sport/raid-229-0
I love this bike. I fitted marathon plus tyres and the bike feels quick and responsive.

I'd love to convert it but I'm unsure as to which direction to go.

My first thoughts are to fit a hub motor as this is what I'm most familiar with from my previous conversion. But the crank drive kits look interesting and would probably mean less disruption to the bikes set up.

FrameRAID 29'' ALLOY 6061 DISC
ForkRST BLAZE ML PM DISC 100mm 1.1/8''
Shock Absorber
Headset
FSA TH.NO10P 1''1/8mm SEMI INTEGRATED
Bottom bracketBSA CH 52-68 L: 127mm
CranksetSHIMANO FCM171C244X3 42x34x24 BLACK 175mm
StemLAPIERRE RAID ALLOY LCS-7126 Ø: 31.8mm E: 70mm (M) - 90mm (L, XL)
SeatpostLAPIERRE RAID ALLOY LCSP-53 L: 350mm Ø: 31.6mm
HandlebarLAPIERRE RAID ALLOY LCH-N04M W: 700mm R: 12mm Ø: 31.8mm
Front derailleurSHIMANO ALTUS FDM311L6 34.9mm 66-69°
Rear derailleurSHIMANO ACERA RDM360SGSL 8 SPEED
BrakesSHIMANO HYDRAULIC BRM395
ShiftersSHIMANO ACERA SLM310 3x8 SPEED
SaddleLAPIERRE RAID VL-1205 STEEL RAIL
WheelMACH1 ER20 DISC 29'' D.WALL 32H
SprocketSHIMANO CSHG318134 8 SPEED 11-34 T
TiresIMPAC RIDGEPAC 29x2.10 54-622
Weight14.4 Kg

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Oh sorry guys I didn't mean to post it just then! I think the bottom bracket would take a crank drive. I have no idea what it feels like to ride a crank drive bike tho.

The bike has hydraulic brakes and I'm not sure if its possible to fit a break sensor to them.

Anyway I'm hoping to use the bike for casual spins with some hilly rides as I get a bit fitter. I have a 50 mile circuit in mind which I use to ride 10 years ago and it would be fantastic to be able to do this again. I'm 14 stone so not a light weight:)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ideally you need to try one first, depending on your location someone may let you have a test ride.

68m BB is perfect.
Available CD's are Bafang bbs, a GSMoon copy, a Yoch copy and Torque Sensor Tongsheng tsd2.
50 miles I found can be done with a new 14.5ah/522wh battery but as they age mileage reduces.

Unlike hub drive that doesn't always mind which gear you are in the CD is the opposite and gearing is crucial. Riding them unpowered is possible but you will know about it if you had to go 10 miles or so. Chain and gear wear is higher due to the higher torque constantly applied.
Brake sensor is fairly easy just needs the correct placement of said sensor and magnet for activation though if a throttle isn't used they aren't needed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

If you want to ride for fitess and activity, fit the crank-drive. If you just want an enjoyable day in the country getting a bit of aerobic exercise, get a hub-motor.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks Nealh. I live in Kildare in Ireland and there's not much chance of getting a test drive.

I can imagine chain and gear wear would be an issue and if cycling without power is harder maybe I'll stick with a hub drive.

I was looking at the oxydrive cst 14 but at £799 or nearly 1000e it seems a bit pricey. I missed the sale prices:(

Anyway the woosh site had a number of hub drives but I'd need a 700c wheel and then that's just as expensive as the oxydrive (Albeit with a better battery - I think)

I think a complete kit would be best at this stage as I get confused trying to match controller and batteries!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Q128c from BMS battery is very good, 119mm dia and 3kg in weight and comes in black. A sine wave dual voltage KT controller kit from PSWPower suits perfectly 15a one for 48v or 20a one for 36v, source the battery first then buy the kit.
Ideally a battery with Samsung 30Q cells for good power from maybe Woosh or Eclipse or try Jimmy at BGA Intl in London.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
If you want to ride for fitess and activity, fit the crank-drive. If you just want an enjoyable day in the country getting a bit of aerobic exercise, get a hub-motor.
The crank drive must be a bit tougher. When I had my previous hub motor conversion I felt I got fit fairly fast which was a real surprise to me at the time. Hmmm more to think about:)

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
The Q128c from BMS battery is very good, 119mm dia and 3kg in weight and comes in black. A sine wave dual voltage KT controller kit from PSWPower suits perfectly 15a one for 48v or 20a one for 36v, source the battery first then buy the kit.
Ideally a battery with Samsung 30Q cells for good power from maybe Woosh or Eclipse or try Jimmy at BGA Intl in London.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll check the options out a bit more. J

D

Deleted member 4366

I have the Q128c on my main bike now at 48v. It's really good. You can get a 48v battery from BMSBattery with an included 30A controller and all the other stuff as a plug and pkay kit with waterproof connectors. It makes a very neat simple installation, to get ebike nirvana.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
I have the Q128c on my main bike now at 48v. It's really good. You can get a 48v battery from BMSBattery with an included 30A controller and all the other stuff as a plug and pkay kit with waterproof connectors. It makes a very neat simple installation, to get ebike nirvana.
Ebike nirvana:) After browsing bmsBattery I can see the Q128c built wheel (c means cassette? I was trying to find a q128c front wheel!!). I'm not seeing where I can specify a 700c rim tho.

Thinking about it now I need to start from basics and try to get to grips with the technical stuff or I'll be asking a lot of stupid questions! Endless-sphere have a beginners wiki and I'll read through that and comeback with hopefully a better idea of how I proceed.

rich_r

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2017
North Yorkshire
Your local bike shop should be able to fit a motor to your existing wheel if you can't find the motor you want already laced into a wheel of the right size.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Your local bike shop should be able to fit a motor to your existing wheel if you can't find the motor you want already laced into a wheel of the right size.
There is a good bike shop locally ok but I guess I'd have to order non standard spokes.

D

Deleted member 4366

Ebike nirvana:) After browsing bmsBattery I can see the Q128c built wheel (c means cassette? I was trying to find a q128c front wheel!!). I'm not seeing where I can specify a 700c rim tho.

Thinking about it now I need to start from basics and try to get to grips with the technical stuff or I'll be asking a lot of stupid questions! Endless-sphere have a beginners wiki and I'll read through that and comeback with hopefully a better idea of how I proceed.
Q128C is a rear only because it has the cassette spline.

Be careful with that ES stuff. Those guys have a completely different frame of reference to us. Much of the advice is hopelessly out of date and their idea of what an e-bike is is probably not what you want.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Q128C is a rear only because it has the cassette spline.

Be careful with that ES stuff. Those guys have a completely different frame of reference to us. Much of the advice is hopelessly out of date and their idea of what an e-bike is is probably not what you want.
Dave it didn't take me long to leave the site! Thought I saw some useful stuff but I didn't make much sense of it.

Anyway I looked a some of the previous posts on the Q128c - in particular this one http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/1st-ebike-conversion-road-bike-or-mtb-with-skinny-tires-which-starter-for-20-mile-commute-each-way.25411/#post-327746
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/1st-ebike-conversion-road-bike-or-mtb-with-skinny-tires-which-starter-for-20-mile-commute-each-way.25411/#post-327746
There was a nice summary of what I'd need (pretty much what yourself and Nealh suggested)

Q128C-135mm 500w CST Rear Driving EBike Hub Motor
Voltage : 36V, RPM : 201

A Pair of EBike Torque Arm
Size : M12

HWBS - Hidden Wire Brake Sensor 1pcs

48V11.6Ah Bottle-09 Panasonic Battery Pack
includes
1. A 48V11.6Ah battery pack included a 20A sine wave controller and a S180 charger.
2. One S-LCD3, One Thumb throttle, A pair of Brake Grip, One PAS And Waterproof Easy Assemble Wires.

I notice the motor hub is 135mm but my dropouts are only 132mm (inside edge to edge). I presume it'll still "fit" with a squeeze? Slightly concerned though that this might move the disc break calipers out of alignment.

If this motor set up will work how long roughly would delivery take?

John

D

Deleted member 4366

Perfect!

Don't bother with the hwbs. They won't fit the harness. There's other options of you want brake sensors, but you don't really need them.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah I wondered about the hwbs especially since I read elsewhere that the motor cuts out quickly when you stop pedalling.

What do you think about the dropout fit?

If bmsbattery takes a long time to deliver (@230$ it really shouldn't) I might be tempted to look at the oxydrive even though it comes with a 36v battery albeit with higher amps. It's a good bit more expensive but I'd have it for the remainder of the summer.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Once the order is placed BMSB will confirm despatch, Fed Ex takes about 4 days. 2 -3 weeks after they( Fed Ex )will send out an Invoice/ demand for duty and carrier fee, min £30 couldn't say what the max might be.
Break sensors needed if you fit the throttle, just in case it sticks on open.
I had to upgrade to a 180 rotor fitting as the caliper on 160 hits the hub.
132 will be ok, you should be able to stretch the drop outs easily for 3mm.

Last edited: