Which one??

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I'm kind of getting there with my search and have narrowed it down to a couple of bikes...

Kalkhoff Integrale 10 XT (around 2.5k)

Cube Reaction Pro HPA 500 (1.8k)

Ideally, I'd like an s class bike but due to the difficulties in registering this is not an option. However, if anyone knows a way of this being done please, please let me know!

Whichever bike I get will be derestricted regardless of warranty implications and will be used as a commuter.

I can't be late for work hence must have something reliable and need something that will do 30 miles on full assist on one charge.

I've tried some Kalkhoff bikes and was really impressed (if they had a detachable display I probably would've bought one already), the Bosch cx 500wh I'm guessing is going to be similar on the Cube but does anyone know how the rest of the bike would hold up to around 100+ miles a week?

I commute a lot on my road bike and enjoy it but don't want to do it everyday, my train fare is £12 and driving/parking can work out more. An Ebike, although initially expensive would save me heaps provided it's reliable... And it's fun... And SO much better than getting the tube/train/driving.

Any other bikes I should be looking at?

Which one would you go for?

The Cube has a great deal where you get 15% cash back to spend on accessories so I could get lots of kit to help with commuting. The Kalkhoff ticks every box, out of the box, has a bigger battery and seems a much better developed product.

I'd really appreciate any help from people with similar requirements - thanks in advance :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: git-r

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Cube is more of a mountain bike so will require more changes to turn it into a commuter.

I don't know which dongle you plan to use, but if it's the Badass one, worth checking if it will fit the Integrale.

The dongle clips onto the sensor on the chain stay.

Something rings a bell with me that the sensor on the Integrale is more, er, integrated with the stay, which might prevent the dongle clipping on.

I also don't know if the dongle works with the new Evo motor, I suspect it will, but it's electronics so you can never be certain.

Both bikes are decent quality, you won't get any better for the money.

There have been quite a few problems with the electrics on the Kalkhoffs, too early to say if the Evo motor is going to be reliable.

Given there are a lot more Bosch bikes sold than Kalkhoffs, reported problems with Bosch bikes are proportionately fewer.

Reactions: Tomtomato and git-r

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Reactions: RobF and git-r

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can get 28 miles from a 400w on flat at around 20 mph over 25 and it nukes the batt so 500w should just make it.

also doubt you want use turbo all the way?

Reactions: rippedupno1

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Thanks a lot for the replies - really helpful!!

Soundwave - that giant doesn't come out until March and will probably be difficult to discount. Funniliy enough there was a Haibike Race that just sold on ebay. it was a 350w 400wh bosch and sold for £1600. I reasoned it wasn't worth it knowing the price of the cube.

Rob - all great points - thank you. I'll probably drop Badassbikes an email to check about the compatibility if I go ahead. Thinking the Bosch may be the better bet, leaving the nice display of the Kalkhoff for thieves is a major consideration. There are options of turning the Cube into a commuter and for the difference in price it seems blindingly good value.

Falmouthtony - you gent, I hadn't seen that link - thank you. Can I take it you're happy with yours and did you get it dongled? Please PM if you'd prefer. Such useful information about range - thanks again :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
is a bike from martin not a option?

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Yes but which bike were you thinking?

Can't see anything that offers more than the Cube at the same price.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will get dongle and warranty if you get 1 from him no other shop will do that.

tho i dont know why as if i want to use the motor as it was made 350w a dongle should not void the warranty but it does.

say i had the software to change the motor settings from 250w to 350w whould that void the warranty also ?

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks a lot for the replies - really helpful!!

Soundwave - that giant doesn't come out until March and will probably be difficult to discount. Funniliy enough there was a Haibike Race that just sold on ebay. it was a 350w 400wh bosch and sold for £1600. I reasoned it wasn't worth it knowing the price of the cube.

Rob - all great points - thank you. I'll probably drop Badassbikes an email to check about the compatibility if I go ahead. Thinking the Bosch may be the better bet, leaving the nice display of the Kalkhoff for thieves is a major consideration. There are options of turning the Cube into a commuter and for the difference in price it seems blindingly good value.

Falmouthtony - you gent, I hadn't seen that link - thank you. Can I take it you're happy with yours and did you get it dongled? Please PM if you'd prefer. Such useful information about range - thanks again :)
PM sent

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
you will get dongle and warranty if you get 1 from him no other shop will do that.

tho i dont know why as if i want to use the motor as it was made 350w a dongle should not void the warranty but it does.

say i had the software to change the motor settings from 250w to 350w whould that void the warranty also ?
I don't think the dongle would affect the warranty on the Kalkhoff. The cheapest alternative from Martin would be 2.4k for a Scott bike as far as I can see. £800 for a warranty?

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I can't see anything with the link but was probably the same one. I think it was a member on here that sold it, he bought it in a sale from Germany but it was too big. It must have been two years old. I doubt the 400w battery would've worked for me too.

Edit - sorry link was working I just neede to scroll down! Yes it was the same one.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yeah same 1 as in link if the Kalkhoff has the impulse motor id forget it until its reliable and no clanking problems.

they also look like granny bikes lol

have a look here
http://www.mhw-bike.com/

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
yeah same 1 as in link if the Kalkhoff has the impulse motor id forget it until its reliable and no clanking problems.

they also look like granny bikes lol

have a look here
http://www.mhw-bike.com/
Lol thanks sound wave :)

Had thought about the reliability with kalkhoff but wasn't overly concerned with the newer motor.

Going to make some calls tomorrow - thinking the cube with some mud guards takes some beating for the money.

Would be very cool to do some off roading too, not done that since I was a child and loved it then!

Will update :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Lol thanks sound wave :)

Had thought about the reliability with kalkhoff but wasn't overly concerned with the newer motor.

Going to make some calls tomorrow - thinking the cube with some mud guards takes some beating for the money.

Would be very cool to do some off roading too, not done that since I was a child and loved it then!

Will update :)
The Cube would be more versatile, particularly if you can be bothered to change the tyres for some rides.

An acquaintance of mine has a belt drive Evo Integrale.

Nice bike, but it weighs a ton even for an ebike.

The moto tyres and close fitting (metal) mudguards make it ideal for road use, but less so for paths and tracks.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
The Cube would be more versatile, particularly if you can be bothered to change the tyres for some rides.

An acquaintance of mine has a belt drive Evo Integrale.

Nice bike, but it weighs a ton even for an ebike.

The moto tyres and close fitting (metal) mudguards make it ideal for road use, but less so for paths and tracks.
Thanks Rob.

The Integrale is also much more expensive and would be a constant worry when left that someone might steal the display.

It may not be necessary to change the tyres on the cube, they'd use slightly more energy than a road tyre but the flip side would be slightly more comfort.

I'd like mudguards and luggage but for the last 3 years have managed without so thinking they're not essential.

Have you compared the Integrale to a Bosch CX system? Do they about feel the same in terms of power?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've not compared the two, but I expect they will be broadly similar in turns of grunt.

But, assuming you want an assisted bicycle and not a moped, either will have plenty of power.

The far more important question is battery capacity.

You may be aware of the 'resistance cubed' equation for extra speed, which will come into play as you want to ride at 15mph plus.

Few of us on here do that, certainly not for mile after mile, so it's hard to advise if the 500wh Bosch battery will get your 30 mile trip.

I think it will, but as another poster said, you might not be able to do it on turbo all the way, or you may have revise your speed expectation down a few mph.

Clip on mudguards will work fine on the Cube, and you could get a combined rear guard and carrier which clips on - and off for weekends - the seatpost.

A short MuckyNutz front fender is a good idea anyway because it keeps the muck and road dirt from being thrown up into the fork crown.

MuckyNutz call them Face Fenders, which is apposite because they at least stop rain being thrown into your face, if not over the rest of you.

http://www.muckynutz.com/mudguards/face_fender

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Thanks again Rob - really helpful.

Noted about the extra speed affecting battery. I doubt I'd be doing much more than 15mph most of the time but compared to doing the same route on my road bike it's going to feel very easy even if I have to drop the mode to sport or Eco.

Will have a good look through that website and the clip on guards sound ideal- thanks :)