Which replacement Alien battery please?

cogs

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2008
My Alien (a kit) is about 16 months old (36v 10ah lith ion 250w Suzibafang? motor).

The battery has started to cut out when under high demand conditions, so I assume its a bit tired and needs replacing.

I've contacted Alien, who are still offering replacement lith batteries (at a price!).

They also advertise new generation LiFe P04 on some bikes - but, frustratingly, they don't seem that willing to make the LiFe P04 available as replacement 'upgrade' batteries to existing customers. Presumably they want to dispose of the old stock first.

My question is, should I send for a LiFe P04 from Ping? Will it fit without too much trouble, and will other parts be necessary to achieve the 'upgrade', and a final question, will a LiFe P04 represent a proper upgrade in terms of its life expectancy and range of travel if I acquire a 15ah spec?

I hope someone can help.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You should get 50% more life from a 15 Ah LiFePO4 if it's a good quality one, possibly more. A Ping 15 Ah one would be ok, but you'd have to make up connection and mounting arrangements.

However, much depends on Alien's battery price, is it really so expensive when others are charging for 36 volts, 10 Ah at about £400 and over £500 for 14 Ah?

I think the convenience of a battery that fits into the bike's own mountings is often worth quite a lot.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I think the convenience of a battery that fits into the bike's own mountings is often worth quite a lot.
I own both types of e-bikes (one with a custom-made LiFePO4 case and another with a frame-specific battery), and I agree with Flecc.

++Dan

Advertisers