Which to choose?

trickgixer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2020
Considering buying an EMTB for single track "exploring" in Snowdonia. So, plenty of climbs and downhills, but extreme drop offs and big jumps, etc. are not my thing. I want something capable, but easy to ride all day long.
After some helpful tips on here already, thank you, my head is clearing towards what I want.
Visiting two local shops, both nearly sold out of EMTB's, I have narrowed down to two potentials. The Cannondale 2020 Monterra Neo 5 and the Scott 2020 Spark Eride 920.
Both the above seem to meet my needs on paper but test rides are not available.
Because I no experience of pedelecs at all and have just moved to Snowdonia from a very flat place, your experience based opinions to help me decide would be really appreciated.

Reactions: Jayfdee

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Those are really nice bikes but they may well be over kill for what you need. I would probably get something like this
This is around £1.7k cheaper than those bikes which is quite a lot of money. As mentioned previously I have ridden many of the hills and mountains in North Wales and I have not needed a full suspension bike. I have a suspension seat post which I think cost me about £70 and it is excellent.

I do not go fast down hill and I do not fly off over jumps, if this is your thing then yes you do need full suspension if its not then save your money, and get a hard tail with just front suspension.

trickgixer

Aug 2, 2020
Those are really nice bikes but they may well be over kill for what you need. I would probably get something like this
This is around £1.7k cheaper than those bikes which is quite a lot of money. As mentioned previously I have ridden many of the hills and mountains in North Wales and I have not needed a full suspension bike. I have a suspension seat post which I think cost me about £70 and it is excellent.

I do not go fast down hill and I do not fly off over jumps, if this is your thing then yes you do need full suspension if its not then save your money, and get a hard tail with just front suspension.
Thanks, I don't disagree with you and a hardtail has been fine for the little bit of down hill I have done on my non e bike. And I suppose, it is the climbs that I am trying to get past with my purchase.
It's mainly the lack of opportunity to test ride anything off road that is pushing me to up spec.
Looking at Evolutions web site, they have sold out of my size, however, they have the https://www.evolution-bikes.co.uk/bikes/electric-bikes/2021-cube-reaction-hybrid-pro-625-emountain-bike-in-black__3384 which is lower spec model. Do you think that might be too much compromise?

Last edited:

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Do you think that might be too much compromise?
That bike will be absolutely fine, you will have great fun on it in the hills here in North Wales. It's a shame the local shops now seem to be limiting the test rides they are allowing people, probably because they are so busy. I have heard that the bike shops here in North Wales (probably the same every where) have never sold so many bikes.

Reactions: trickgixer

trickgixer

Aug 2, 2020
Both local shops I visited, Evolution and WE Cycle, have sold out of most models and I can't test ride what they have off road, so investing £3k-£4k in a bike may not be my best idea.
I have heeded your wisdom Nev, and played safe, ordering a hardtail bike and suspension seatpost.
Thinking it through, my reason to buy an EMTB is to get me up the hills. Descents on my conventional hardtail MTB have not really been a problem, even though they have been much smaller. Liking the suspension seatpost suggestion, that should bring me more comfort than I am used to.
Saving more than half my intended spend, I will provisionally set aside the "surplus" for a potential upgrade next year, if I feel the need. By then I will know more about the local tracks and can probably test ride a selection of bikes off road. Saying that, my instinct tells me I will probably be satisfied with the hardtail anyway.

Reactions: Nev

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi
I have to go the other way and say full suspension if it's going to be your only one
It's a bit like buying a big TV always go for the best your budget will allow as you never look back and say "I wish I had bought the smaller one"

I'm not knocking hard tails I have 2 of them but there's no substitute for a full suspension bike especially when climbing off road as the back wheel will stay in contact with the ground much better
Like I said just my opinion and not in any way meant to bash any other posts already on here
And as your choice has been made enjoy your new bike

Reactions: trickgixer

trickgixer

Aug 2, 2020
Hi
I have to go the other way and say full suspension if it's going to be your only one
It's a bit like buying a big TV always go for the best your budget will allow as you never look back and say "I wish I had bought the smaller one"

I'm not knocking hard tails I have 2 of them but there's no substitute for a full suspension bike especially when climbing off road as the back wheel will stay in contact with the ground much better
Like I said just my opinion and not in any way meant to bash any other posts already on here
And as your choice has been made enjoy your new bike
Your opinion is still appreciated, it is similar to mine.
Just I didn't want to blow my budget on a bike I can't try off road first. So, when test rides are possible I will be trying some full suspension bikes and maybe upgrade then, or maybe not, depending on how impressive they are in comparison.

Reactions: Fat Rat

trickgixer

Aug 2, 2020
Have you looked at the deacathlon Stilus, full suspension proper emtb with the bosch gen4 motor @ £2699?
It gets some great reviews on the mtb forums.

On the web site, yes. And was very impressed by the spec for the money and the reviews on youtube. However, it is out of stock for delivery or click and collect. I phoned all the stores within 150 miles of me but they had all sold out. Was told there may be a few coming late November, but can't pre order, just have to chance being quick enough on line when they appear.
Life's too short to wait, so ended up getting a Rockhopper E-ST 900 for £1699, two days before it went up to £1799. Still have to wait a couple of weeks for in-store delivery, but looking forward to riding into the hills soon :D

Reactions: Nev

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Focus looks to be among the best bang for your buck.
Fox forks, fox shock, plus dropper, reasonable Shimano 520 4 pots, which were specc'd by Ibis, who know their onions.
Probably a grand more than the Cannondale, but its one of those BIG purchases, and you dont want to get it wrong at this stage.
The Focus Thron2, or Jam 6.8 look well worth it.

Consider on a sus, the bits that matter are the sus bits.
The Thron speccs FOX 34 Rhythm suspension fork and FOX Float DPS rear shock AND a dropper, which is a must for offroad use.
The Thron is listed as a trail bike, and they do an all mountain too in the form of the Focus Jam.
Im opting for the Focus Jam 6.9 Nine. Basically as the retail of the 'Sus bits is excellent - Fox 36 and a fox float DPS. I can compare those parts and their retail cost against a suntour fork(Retail maybe 200, and an X fusion shock(Retail under 200) often seen on bikes costing nearly as much. Im finding spec on many a bit of a let down.Example compare the Focus Thron 6.9 with the Scott evo axis, which are about the same money. The scott looks very much like the poor cousin, or maybe a bigger profit ion the sellers pocket.

Just sayin'

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Focus looks to be among the best bang for your buck.
Fox forks, fox shock, plus dropper, reasonable Shimano 520 4 pots, which were specc'd by Ibis, who know their onions.
Probably a grand more than the Cannondale, but its one of those BIG purchases, and you dont want to get it wrong at this stage.
The Focus Thron2, or Jam 6.8 look well worth it.

Consider on a sus, the bits that matter are the sus bits.
The Thron speccs FOX 34 Rhythm suspension fork and FOX Float DPS rear shock AND a dropper, which is a must for offroad use.
The Thron is listed as a trail bike, and they do an all mountain too in the form of the Focus Jam.
Im opting for the Focus Jam 6.9 Nine. Basically as the retail of the 'Sus bits is excellent - Fox 36 and a fox float DPS. I can compare those parts and their retail cost against a suntour fork(Retail maybe 200, and an X fusion shock(Retail under 200) often seen on bikes costing nearly as much. Im finding spec on many a bit of a let down.Example compare the Focus Thron 6.9 with the Scott evo axis, which are about the same money. The scott looks very much like the poor cousin, or maybe a bigger profit ion the sellers pocket.

Just sayin'
I looked at the Focus over a year ago but I think that the battery was fixed in place which posed a charging problem to me. Is this still the case?

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Sorry for the late reply.
Looking at their site now it says the batteries are removable, but I've also seen a reference to needing to undo 2 bolts on the motor, which then swings back and allows the battery to drop or slide out.
Whether this is for changing the battery for a new one, or for charging it didnt say, but as Focus is a bike im interested in(The top thron or maybe Jam 6.9, I'll take another look.
Which I have and am still flummoxed :confused:
Some you tube vids on focus battery being removable, but theyre dated 2018,.
Maybe a call to focus would solve the question.
Again it claims in the latest literature "Removable integrated" battery, but isnt expanding on that, so not sure. But thanks for the heads up for myself, its not something id entirely taken on board. I assumed, and as you know to assume = Makes an ASS of U and ME, that it removed like many of the others.
Maybe for service but on my aspect of it its mainly for ease of charging, though I've a dedicated bike room so it would be at a plug socket for charging.

I though i was having difficulty choosing, but I think for 2021 or 2022 etc theres going to be some gigantic changes as its taken off massively, and range is going to be a deciding factor for many. Maybe find the inclusion of a 1kw battery becoming as standard.

Im actually really excited about changers to bikes and Ebikes, and felt the whole industry was becoming stagnant. But with the environment being a main concern for many, this has revitalized the industry as a whole.

Exciting times ahead :D

Related Articles

Advertisers