Whoosh Rio throttle

jameshuckle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2019
Hello,

Is it possible to start this bike from a standstill solely on the throttle, and then ride it solely on the throttle if needs be (or is there a way for me to program it to do so)?

Based on a hypothetical someone who is intent on 'breaking the law' and revoking their warranty, if the above statement happens to contradict either - as I understand that Whoosh must and does comply with the law in every way.

It's really a deal breaker for me, as pushing the button on the LCD is a little too fiddly in the real world to start-off.

Many thanks,
James

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you need to activate the throttle by pedalling one revolution then you can keep going on throttle until the motor stops, for example when you brake.
If you cannot pedal at all, not even for one second, then something like the Big Bear will let you do that.

jameshuckle

Apr 1, 2019
Great info thanks. Is this something specific with the SWX02 motor, or is it something to do with the LCD? Would I bump into the same issue with the Whoosh SWX02 48v kit?

I like the semi-concealed battery of the Rio (will be locking it up in central London), I am 5ft 7 and also would prefer a rear-hub motor.

Hijacking the thread a little here, but would the Kudos Mistral offer a totally throttled controlled experience? The BPM might be lacking a bit of top end speed for me (but has the torque), but I guess it's my only other option that's sub £1300 (concealed battery, rear-hub, S/M, commuter/cross type, 21mph-24mph possible)?

Cheers,
James

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The law only affects factory built bikes. Essentially, if the bike has an independently acting throttle, it must not be plugged in.
It's up to the customer to plug it in.
If the throttle is activated after pedaling, then we can plug it in before shipping.
The law on throttle does not apply to bikes or e-bikes that have been used on the streets. So with kits, the same law does not apply because the donor bikes have already been used in the streets. Therefore, the throttle on all the kits are active all the time and have priority over the pedal assist function.
You can start the bike with both feet on the ground, you can ride much more slowly on throttle than with pedal assist.

jameshuckle

Apr 1, 2019
A certain member has informed me that fitting a new/different controller would allow the throttle to become independent in the Whoosh Rio mtb.

Thanks for the help!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A certain member has informed me that fitting a new/different controller would allow the throttle to become independent in the Whoosh Rio mtb.

Thanks for the help!
that's true. You can set the throttle function (permanent or activated on PAS) with KT controllers but you will have to change the LCD that comes with the bike for the KT LCD3 or another LCD from KT.
One alternative is to convert a mountain bike like a £400 Voodoo NZumbi or a Cube Aim with the XF08C.
It's a bit cheaper (£900 budget) and has independent throttle.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/kids-bikes/voodoo-nzumbi-mountain-bike-26-wheel
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Aim-27-5-Mountain-Bike-2019-Hardtail-MTB_200156.htm
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-121-xf08c-13ah/xf08c-rear-hub-kit-with-13ah-battery