Whoosh ?

KEN OPENSHAW

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
Hi all
Still looking for an ebike.....has anyone got a WOOSH RIO MTB ? and what do you think of it.
Looks well,worth the money on paper ?

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Quite a bit of excitement on here when the woosh Rio was launched.

Several members bought one, but the posts soon dried up.

That often happens, owners lose interest in posting, if not the bike.

Or it could be their bike has fallen to bits.

Longevity is what would worry me, particularly if the use was going to be demanding, such as commuting.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Longevity is what would worry me, particularly if the use was going to be demanding, such as commuting.
you don't have much faith in Chinese e-bikes do you? despite the evidence - that is the vast majority of commuters ride Chinese made e-bikes, they'd soon give up if their bikes fall to bits.
A few have since built their own bikes, but the kits are still Chinese.
Actually, how many that you know have switched to posher German bikes?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
you don't have much faith in Chinese e-bikes do you?
No.

The OP hasn't given proposed use in this thread, but if that use is light - occasional weekend cycle path rides in the better weather - a Chinese bike may be adequate.

Worth spending a bit more on a European brand if use is harder.

Nothing can guarantee reliability and longevity, but you can tip the odds a little in your favour.

Value is another point - Chinese bikes aren't quite the bargain they once were.

Someone mentioned a Haibike/Yamaha for £1,500 ish, which looks fairly cheap compared to a Chinese hub bike at £1,000+.

Someone also mentioned a new battery for a Chinese bike at £400+.

Cheaper than a Bosch/Yamaha battery, but not a third of the price as it used to be.

Reactions: KEN OPENSHAW

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Chinese bikes aren't quite the bargain they once were.

Someone mentioned a Haibike/Yamaha for £1,500 ish, which looks fairly cheap compared to a Chinese hub bike at £1,000+.

Someone also mentioned a new battery for a Chinese bike at £400+.

Cheaper than a Bosch/Yamaha battery, but not a third of the price as it used to be.
that is because the quality of Chinese bikes catches up with EU made bikes.
Nowhere is as obvious as the quality of the frame. The level of detailing has improved a lot over the years, smooth welding is also widely used. Not just the frame, hydraulic brakes become also a standard feature.
Even for bikes sold under £1,000. Here are my two latest bikes, they will be assembled in Southend this winter (they are being dismantled at present to avoid anti dumping). Find me a European bike that is better equipped for this sort of money, and assembled in Southend.

The £899 budget commuter Sirocco 3:

The 16kg Karoo 2018:

PS: I still have customers who commute currently with the 2011 Sirocco and 2013 Sirocco 2. Is there anyone commuting with the original Bosch motor?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Bit of a silly challenge as you're the only assembler in Southend
not as silly as who is the better screwdriver operator? most assembly work is mainly done with electric screwdrivers and imported components to start with.
As I was looking for good electric screwdrivers, I could not find a good source in the UK, so I approached suppliers on alibaba. Do you know that they have hundreds of models with built in LCDs? you can program the start and stop torque, number of turns etc. for about £150.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike and flecc

KEN OPENSHAW

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
Thanks to you all for your comments....I tried a Carrera crossfire today 1/2hr free test ride at Halfords...must say I was impressed,smooth ride and plenty of power,
4 modes plus a walk feature,great disc hydraulic brakes and at a sale price of £1000 ... very tempting !

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there are many differences between the Carrera and the Rio MTB:

- fork: the Rio has much lighter RST 100mm Omega fork compared to the Carrera 75mm Suntour SRNVX
- crankset: the Rio has modern light and strong GXP crankset with external ballbearings, the Crossfire has old style square taper.
- battery: the Rio has 13AH or 17AH, the Carerra 11.6AH
- motor: the Rio has larger motor.
- controller: the Rio has 17A controller, the Carerra 15A
- LCD: the Rio has 5 assist levels, with user settable profile for each, the Carerra has 4 fixed levels.
- the Rio has a throttle, lights, bell and mudguards.
Regardless of hill gradients, you have to keep pedaling with the Carerra, more if the hill is steeper, you pedal as much as you like with the Rio.

Last edited:

KEN OPENSHAW

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
You certainly make a strong case for the Rio, Woosh I’ll have to try and find a dealer in Cornwall ? And give it a test ride ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh I’ll have to try and find a dealer in Cornwall ?
we sell directly without dealers although we can arrange for a local bike shop to look after your bike.

KEN OPENSHAW

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
Appreciate your comments but realising the many differences in construction of ebikes, I don’t think I’d buy without first trying out,and unfortunately your 5hrs plus drive from me !

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Ken,
thank you for looking.
May be your next bike is a Woosh!
Tony

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Woosh....our parent company,namely Rally Design,sells a cordless screwdriver that will easily assemble a bike.
We use these drivers when assembling our stand trussing system (ZigZagtruss),they seem to last forever on a relatively small battery.
When combined with bits and sockets they are pretty universal.
www.rallydesign.co.uk
Part No SWE223
Blackline 7.2v cordless screwdriver.
Price £19.42 + vat.
We dont put anything under our Blackline trading style that is not top quality.
Good luck
KudosDave

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Agree
  • :D
Reactions: EddiePJ and flecc