Who's Brave Enough...

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Ok slightly misleading title, but it's just to get you to read it..

Is anyone brave enough to leave their (very expensive) eBike padlocked anywhere.

Often thought it would be the ideal bike to cycle to work, say on a Friday.

But once at work, I can't bring it into the office, therefore it has to stay outside.

Don't know id I'm brave enough to leave such an expensive/attractive bike beside all the other crappy ones on the bike rack, as I know mine will "go" first.....

Looked at lots of locking options but a battery angle grinder seams to make mince meat out of every lock I have looked at..
Any ideas. :rolleyes:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

try cut one of them links with a angle grinder lol. ;)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I am not brave enough, or to put it differently, not daft enough to leave mine chained but unattended and out of sight for more than a few seconds. I consider it the same as having my wallet containing a few thousand pounds sticking out of my back pocket.

• Agree
Reactions: Kinninvie

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Unfortunately not Jim... mine is a full blown mountain eBike.... I often think of stopping at places to do a bit of "sight seeing" when out on the bike, but security is my biggest concern.

Soundwave might have the answer..... if I can find a back pack big enough.. ;)

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All day long on a regular daily basis in the same spot, no way, it would go. But for shorter periods I've never lost one in my London borough, despite our record breaking bike theft reputation.

I even gave up lugging around a D lock just using a mediocre cable lock for years. On one occasion I'd left it off the bike so just connected it to the bike stand with a bungee cord! It was still there over an hour later.

So maybe if you could pop out at least once, preferably twice, during the day and shift it to another stand elsewhere it might be ok, especially if it's only on occasional days and you use a decent D lock.

I'd think the ideal bike stand locations would be those by places that people pop into quite briefly, such as post offices, fast food places etc, which thieves might think risky for an involved theft.

Reactions: Ballynoes
D

Deleted member 4366

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I know a guy with a Kudos Safari who has used his bike every day for work for three years and always parks it outside with a minimal lock. Nobody has attempted to nick it.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I know a guy with a Kudos Safari who has used his bike every day for work for three years and always parks it outside with a minimal lock. Nobody has attempted to nick it.
thats because its not worth stealing in the first place ;)

D

Deleted member 22539

To be fair thou it’s hardly a high value e-mtb
And ballynoes did say would anyone leave there very expensive ebike padlocked up anywhere .

And the answer is still no lol

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4366

To be fair thou it’s hardly a high value e-mtb
And ballynoes did say would anyone leave there very expensive ebike padlocked up anywhere .

And the answer is still no lol
That was the point of my post. The requirements for a commuter bike are different to one that you want for weekend mountain biking.

Expensiveness is a relative characteristic. To some people, an £800 bike is astronomically expensive, even if you don't find it so.

• Agree
Reactions: argoose and flecc
D

Deleted member 22539

That was the point of my post. The requirements for a commuter bike are different to one that you want for weekend mountain biking.

Expensiveness is a relative characteristic. To some people, an £800 bike is astronomically expensive, even if you don't find it so.
I here you and I understand what your saying
But it’s irrelevant for this post as the op owns an emtb and posted in the emtb section and asked if anyone would leave it lying around

I understand people buying commuter bikes and not paying much for them to leave them lying around even thou I still wouldn’t want to lose it because of some thieving scum bag no matter what the monetary value
That we can all agree on

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A lot depends on where you live and whilst there are opertunist thieves everywhere, some areas are worse than others. If you leave your bike in the same place at the same time for the same length of time every day you run the risk of your pattern of behaviour being noticed which lets a theif plan their assault on whatever security you have left in place.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have noticed a Haibike locked and left quite regularly in the same cycle area on the platform of a mainline station I use that has not gone missing for about six months so far. But I would not fancy doing the same.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I guess for some their bike is just a tool to do a job. They take out insurance to replace it if stolen and treat it like they would a car. Maybe most of us are being too precious about our bikes, or we cannot afford the high insurance premiums.

Related Articles

Advertisers