Will An Ebike Motor Lose Power Under Stress?

stever1957

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2018
Lake, Isle of Wight
If we imagine a road that has a steady incline of say 10% or thereabouts, for many miles, would a hub motor tend to become less powerful as it (presumably) heats up, and would it eventually grind to a halt before the battery is flat?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes. This is down to voltage sag.
The battery has an internal resistance. When you climb a hill, the motor draws a lot more power than on the flat, that can be as much as 7 times on a steep hill. The voltage drops more than when you ride on flat road, you can see this on the battery indicator. The indicator loses a bar or two 200m-300m into the climb, then recovers when you come out of a climb.
The second effect is battery drain. A full battery shows 41.5V, a completely flat battery 31.5V. The torque of the motor is proportional to the square of the voltage. A freshly charged battery gives more lively climb (23% more torque) compared to a half full.
So a bike will climb very well at the beginning of the climb and slacks off at the end, it's normal behaviour. A big capacity battery lessens the effect though.

stever1957

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2018
Lake, Isle of Wight
Thanks very much indeed!

As you are probably aware, the island is rather hilly and, just this morning, I rode one of the most feared ones: from Shanklin to Ventnor.

Towards the top (one might even say summit!), I was on first gear, with maximum assist, but I made it, much to my surprise, delight and respect for the new bike (Woosh). Also, considering the bike is quite heavy, I weigh a good twenty stones and I was carrying panniers with my toolkit and foot pump, I wasn't greatly out of breath.

Reactions: VictoryV and Woosh