will i make it!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
When I built my wheel it slotted straight into the frame, I fixed on the brake disc rotor and 9sp cassette to the motor wheel and everything aligned perfectly with the disc rotor - no special washers needed and the standard anti-rotation washers that came with the CST motor just slotted straight over the axle into the dropouts with no filing out required.

The only thing I had issues with was getting a hole drilled in the stainless steel torque arm to align with the available hole and cut off the extra metal to save it sticking out. Which in the end I had a local engineering shop do as I had no suitable bits or power tool to hand at the time. d8veh drilled it out a bit more for me with a carbide bit. I think cycleeze do some which don't involve extra drilling, but they are much more expensive and don't 'disappear' after fitting so possibly not as neat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I forgot about the torque arm. Without a disc mount, it'll have to be fitted differently, Alex. The best is to only use the bit that goes on the axle, snd make your own tie-bar out of mild steel, then you can use a normal drill.

I'd need to see a picture of it fitted to advise the best way to do it.

sil4ps

Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2013
london north
I forgot about the torque arm. Without a disc mount, it'll have to be fitted differently, Alex. The best is to only use the bit that goes on the axle, snd make your own tie-bar out of mild steel, then you can use a normal drill.

I'd need to see a picture of it fitted to advise the best way to do it.
anyone got any pics of the torque arms fitted
so can see what you mean. i have all the tools as i
work on old motorcycles so should be able to
work it out from some pics. i bought a set of torque arms off bms.

do they just tie to the frame to stop the motor moving??

C

Cyclezee

The only thing I had issues with was getting a hole drilled in the stainless steel torque arm to align with the available hole and cut off the extra metal to save it sticking out. Which in the end I had a local engineering shop do as I had no suitable bits or power tool to hand at the time. d8veh drilled it out a bit more for me with a carbide bit. I think cycleeze do some which don't involve extra drilling, but they are much more expensive and don't 'disappear' after fitting so possibly not as neat.
Hi Alex,

You say our torque plates are much more expensive, I would be interested to know by how much and what are you comparing them to.

We are selling ours all over the world and get positive feed back, so I guess we are doing something right, but we are not complacent and take note of customers comments;)

D

Deleted member 4366

Your ones are cheapest in the UK, but BMSBattery ones are only £9.32 for two when you order them with other stuff. If someone is stuck for one because they ordered a kit from somewhere other than BMSB, like Cyclotricity, 8Fun, Juicy, Alien, etc, then yours win hands-down because of the high postage costs from BMSB for single items.

Please don't do what the Power Companies are doing - hoiking the price until we can't afford it. I just had to switch for the first time after 25 years with the same ones. I can't understand how its cheaper from a supplier that buys their power from my previous suppliers.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I just looked up cycleeze website again and torque arms listed as £12, which is fair enough if you want to screw the retaining arm into a hole on your dropout and are not equipped with the tools to shape and punch / drill a hole through solid stainless steel ones ... avoids having to make a hole in the right place on the solid ones from BMS battery. Using the clip things on BMS battery ones not a good idea as compared drilling a hole in them and screwing to frame on motor of this size especially if using only one.

For some reason I remembered these being a lot more. Have these always been that price ? :confused: Maybe I remember comparing the cost of having my torque armed worked as compared cost of buying a new set and figured I may as well make what I had work rather than buying different ones.

C

Cyclezee

Your ones are cheapest in the UK, but BMSBattery ones are only £9.32 for two when you order them with other stuff. If someone is stuck for one because they ordered a kit from somewhere other than BMSB, like Cyclotricity, 8Fun, Juicy, Alien, etc, then yours win hands-down because of the high postage costs from BMSB for single items.

Please don't do what the Power Companies are doing - hoiking the price until we can't afford it. I just had to switch for the first time after 25 years with the same ones. I can't understand how its cheaper from a supplier that buys their power from my previous suppliers.
So basically Cyclezee's are the cheapest in the world if all you want is a set of torque plates and factor in the delivery costs, import duty and VAT.

We are looking at manufacturing in MK if it can be done economically, but it is going to be a struggle.

C

Cyclezee

I just looked up cycleeze website again and torque arms listed as £12, which is fair enough if you want to screw the retaining arm into a hole on your dropout and are not equipped with the tools to shape and punch / drill a hole through solid stainless steel ones ... avoids having to make a hole in the right place on the solid ones from BMS battery. Using the clip things on BMS battery ones not a good idea as compared drilling a hole in them and screwing to frame on motor of this size especially if using only one.

For some reason I remembered these being a lot more. Have these always been that price ? :confused: Maybe I remember comparing the cost of having my torque armed worked as compared cost of buying a new set and figured I may as well make what I had work rather than buying different ones.
Hi Alex,

They did increase the price last year, but they have never been higher that £12 + postage.
Currently they are £12.99 on eBay with free delivery within the UK.

Of course, if you buy an eZee kit you get a set FOC;)

Maybe I will take on D8veh's suggestion and double the price:)

Nice one Dave, your cheque is in the post:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 4366

For some reason I remembered these being a lot more. Have these always been that price ? :confused
No, they were £5 when he first got them. They sold out in days, so the next lot were £10. Now they're £12. No doubt, like the power companies, it costs more for Cyclezee to get them :rolleyes:. 240% price rise in 2 years. Where does that fit in the retail price index?

I should've kept my mouth shut:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/10926-bargain-year-torque-arms.html

C

Cyclezee

No, they were £5 when he first got them. They sold out in days, so the next lot were £10. Now they're £12. No doubt, like the power companies, it costs more for Cyclezee to get them :rolleyes:. 240% price rise in 2 years. Where does that fit in the retail price index?

I should've kept my mouth shut:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/10926-bargain-year-torque-arms.html
Yes Dave, it does cost me considerably more to get them in hence the price rises.

This was mainly due to a certain Canadian company who shall remain nameless. They were involved in the original design.

When they found out I was selling them, they demanded a royalty payment from the manufacturer.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This was mainly due to a certain Canadian company who shall remain nameless. They were involved in the original design.

When they found out I was selling them, they demanded a royalty payment from the manufacturer.
Do you think that demand was "justin"fied John? ;)

C

Cyclezee

Do you think that demand was "justin"fied John? ;)
I think the root of the problem was he did not like being beaten at table tennis by someone who hadn't played since before he was born:eek:

Actually, the table tennis was revenge for being dragged round an electronics exhibition in Shanghai, fine if you are a geek,(no offence to the geeks out there) but for me it was possibly the most boring day of my life:(

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually, the table tennis was revenge for being dragged round an electronics exhibition in Shanghai, fine if you are a geek,(no offence to the geeks out there) but for me it was possibly the most boring day of my life:(
The only thing worse than going around an exhibition of no personal interest is being on stand duty at one for three long days. That happened to me once.

Together with another equally affected we staged a rebellion on the third morning by causing a hotel lift breakdown half way between floors which kept us locked away for an hour and a half until the fire brigade wound us down. Then a very late leisurely breakfast arranged by the desperately apologetic hotel management and by the time we got to the exhibition we'd cut the day's stand time almost in half.

Playing cards in the lift was equally boring of course, but at least we'd made our point!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
So basically Cyclezee's are the cheapest in the world if all you want is a set of torque plates and factor in the delivery costs, import duty and VAT.
If you order them on their own then likely yes by the looks of it ! I seem to remember something more like £25 but obviously have my lines crossed.

The BMS Battery ones are likely cheaper if ordered with a kit/other stuff because marginal impact on duty/VAT/shipping £nil in practice. However they do need further engineering in many more cases which makes them not such good value in terms of ease of install. Looking at the pics on your eBay listing, all the fixings seem to be shown as using the bottom hole below the cutout groove - but that may just be because the rest of the retaining arm is obscured. I presume the groove cutout along the length of the retaining arms as there so you can fit a bolt anywhere along it to attach to the frame, providing a much more flexible fixing position than a solid retaining arm with a single hole at the bottom ?

Torque Arm/ Plate Sets for Electric Bikes | eBay

It's all coming back to me now ... when I fitted mine I wanted to retain my disc brake compatible rack which had bulky fixings that crowded out use of the brake caliper mounting hole (retaining arm too wide to fit). Therefore the retaining arm had to swivel right round to share the rack mount hole with the rack fixing (side-on here with bike upside down) and this meant a hole was needed along the length of the retaining arm to allow it to be used, with single bolt though rack & torque arm + locking nut, and the excess metal was cut off for neatness :

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/uk-off-road-s-pedelecs-overseas/13813-cst-its-all-working.html#post168259

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Shame on you. There's nothing that's boring, only the people that perceive something as boring. Everything is interesting if you're interesting enough to be interested.

So, we'll play a game of tabletennis. If I win, you're a boring f@rt. If you win, I'm a four-eyed geek. What do you think?

C

Cyclezee

Shame on you. There's nothing that's boring, only the people that perceive something as boring. Everything is interesting if you're interesting enough to be interested.

So, we'll play a game of tabletennis. If I win, you're a boring f@rt. If you win, I'm a four-eyed geek. What do you think?
Yes Dave, when I posted that I was thinking to myself d8veh would have loved that exhibition;)

Instead of table tennis, how about an uphill race on electric bikes..........on second thoughts we have done that already:p

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Pre-race checklist...

In correct gear - Check

Chain on cogs - Check

Front-wheel motor not engaged until moving smartly - Check

CHARGE!