Will two of these be a good battery pack?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Last edited:

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
of course it's only 5ah - what was i thinking :confused:

Is balance everything? from what i read here many people don't even use a BMS and have no problems.

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
i already have a very good ping 10ah but as I only use 2ah per day i was thinking of a smaller setup

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
of course it's only 5ah - what was i thinking :confused:

Is balance everything? from what i read here many people don't even use a BMS and have no problems.
Not if you use A123 cells (though they need to be balanced intially) but the ones you reference must have a BMS or be balanced often. Lithium Polymer are also highly flamable if abused :eek:

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
i already have a very good ping 10ah but as I only use 2ah per day i was thinking of a smaller setup
Ok here is your answer

You will need to buy a balance charger initially to get them balanced but mine have remained in balance since then, for over 10 months using a cheap 36v charger. I have one at home and one at work.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
And more detail Here

Regards

Jerry

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
Thanks Jerry, that looks like the kind of thing I need. will reduce the bike weight by at least two K

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yep for short commutes its a perfect solution.

Regards

Jerry

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I have considered the option of using such Lipos for a long time and have noted the repeated negativity on here towards them - not without foundation though I'm sure.

I'm used to these large Lipos as my main hobby is flying large RC Helicopters - for which these batteries are being sold by Hobyking. (who incidentally are a very reputable supplier).

Regarding balance - they need balancing about one in four charges. More frequently would be nice but not an absolute must. If just using a couple of these - would balance charging be such an headache?

The fire issue is real but grossly exagerated. You would only be pulling 2 or 3C current on a 20C battery and providing you had appropriate low voltage warning (Cycle Analyst) I think the "explosion" risk is negligible.

Incidentally 12s = (12x4.2) = 50.4v off the charger. You would really want a pair of the 5S batteries (even cheaper).

Serious question, I would really appreciate anyones technical comment on the above as I'm sure it would be a runner.

Many thanks as usual, Dave

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I was seriously considering HK lipo packs, but the sheer pita of unhooking, hooking up, being bloody careful all the time, just put me off.
I went for Bosch Fatpacks instead. Cheap-ish, simple, one charger, no fire, no explosion, no unhooking, no BMS, more or less fit and forget, and easily expandable for more range.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Dave,

Like you I too am very familiar with Li-Poly batteries through RC interest. You are right in the ebike application they are not being abused as much as we do in RC.

I think maybe if you have this background then it would be ok to use them, but personally I would not recommend joe public to use them in this application otherwise.

Those fatpacks look interesting I thought they require a BMS :confused:

Regards

Jerry

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
RC lipos on here do get a negative reaction some of it justified but a lot is not (!)

I use them on my Peugeot, see http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/5465-peugeot-revisited.html?highlight=Peugeot

They do need careful monitoring of charge and discharge but they remain in very good balance as long as you start out with a pack with good cells in the first place. There is no need to break packs down and reconfigure for charging. It's quite easy to configure packs for bulk charging and use something like the battery medic device to provide balance if necessary or a dedicated balance / BMS unit from TPPacks.com.

There is no other affordable battery type that has the power density that these RC packs have, 20+ C discharge rates are easily achievable and while it can be argued nobody needs this outside of the die hard enthusiasts over on ES it does mean the batteries hold up extremely well over time and use, the voltage remains high under load and will give excellent performance.

Issues start when cells get over discharged, below 3v and then charged up to and over their rated 4.2v.....they really do not tolerate this and will 'let go' in a very spectacular way...if they are top n tailed to 4.1v and 3.2v they remain safe and will give 800+ full charge discharge cycles. With Lipo you just need to be aware of the pit falls, if you master this then 15Ah battery with 20c discharge weighing under 4.5Kg can be yours.....

Last edited:

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Thanks chaps for the constructive responses. You have confirmed exactly what I had alsways believed - its just that I was starting to think that I must be missing something somewhere with electric bikes - but obviously I'm not!

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
At 4.1 volt the cell will be as full as it needs to be around 95 to 98 %, the problems happen when they are charged to 4.2 volt. In a similar way on discharge the cell is just about depleted at 3.2v, take it below 3v and damage will occur.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
At 4.1 volt the cell will be as full as it needs to be around 95 to 98 %, the problems happen when they are charged to 4.2 volt. In a similar way on discharge the cell is just about depleted at 3.2v, take it below 3v and damage will occur.
Intelligent chargers used in RC applications charge and balance at 4.2v per cell. Controllers usually limit the low voltage limit to about 3.6v. I am not aware/have seen a lipo discharged down as low as 3.2v but then again we are pushing these batteries discharging at up to 30 or 40C. Larger RC Helicopters running 12S/5000mah battery set ups can be consuming batteries at a rate of up to 5kw.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, agreed they do, but for longer life and safety 4.1 to 4.15 should be the maximum. The RC chargers don't take this into account and aren't therefore intelligent enough ;) 3.6v would be about 60% DOD so for an e-bike there's still useful capacity remaining.

Yes, RC use means much higher discharge rates so at 3.6v for flying is probably a safe low limit, we can go lower on our bikes but by 3.2v we are well and truly over the 'cliff'. Also, the packs on e-bikes will be larger at 10 / 15Ah so the voltage will hold up somewhat better.

Last edited:

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Yes, agreed they do, but for longer life and safety 4.1 to 4.15 should be the maximum. The RC chargers don't take this into account and aren't therefore intelligent enough ;) 3.6v would be about 60% DOD so for an e-bike there's still useful capacity remaining.

Yes, RC use means much higher discharge rates so at 3.6v for flying is probably a safe low limit, we can go lower on our bikes but by 3.2v we are well and truly over the 'cliff'. Also, the packs on e-bikes will be larger at 10 / 15Ah so the voltage will hold up somewhat better.
Thanks (and understood!)
Dave

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009