Wisper 705 Throttle

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
My wife has a Wisper 705. Unfortunately, she has small hands and sometimes when using the rear brake accidentally uses the twist throttle and has a couple of near misses doing this, till today, when she crashed into the rear of my bike.

She does use the throttle to start off on a hill so removing the throttle is a non-starter. My question is, can we fit a thumb throttle to replace the twist throttle. I know that they are plug in connectors, so is it a case of finding the right connector and swapping them over.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You ca use any throttle you want, they all work the same; however, if your throttle has a switch or battery indicator in it, you'll probably want a throttle that has those two. There's nothing to stop you adding functions if you want them, like speed display. You don't need to worry about connectors. Just solder the wires together, which will be better all round than having a connector.

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
You ca use any throttle you want, they all work the same; however, if your throttle has a switch or battery indicator in it, you'll probably want a throttle that has those two. There's nothing to stop you adding functions if you want them, like speed display. You don't need to worry about connectors. Just solder the wires together, which will be better all round than having a connector.
The present controller display shows the amount of assist that the throttle is providing when used. Don’t think that the throttle has a switch or battery indicator, but not sure as nothing in the manual refers to this. Hopefully Wisper themselves can confirm this.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The twist grips and thumb regulators both work the same way.
They both override the power setting on the LCD.
They will supply low power up to 4mph (walk along mode) without pedalling and full power assistance up to 15.5mph when pedalling. The LCD power setting indicator will not change.

it may be possible to change the 705 twist grip to a thumb regulator. Best to email Adrian support@wisperbikes.com

All the best, David

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The present controller display shows the amount of assist that the throttle is providing when used. Don’t think that the throttle has a switch or battery indicator, but not sure as nothing in the manual refers to this. Hopefully Wisper themselves can confirm this.
It would be better to show a picture of your throttle, its cable and connector.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It will show the greater current being drawn when it's being used.

All the best, David
I think you're misunderstanding something or is that for another thread?. They want to replace the throttle with a thumb type. They need advice on which one and how to wire it in.

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
It would be better to show a picture of your throttle, its cable and connector.
Hi vfr400

Photos attached of the LCD controller, the twist grip throttle and the Yellow, 3 pin connector A5230F95-D817-4638-B157-E0A10864A486.jpeg8D5E6E66-3803-491B-93DF-636E52C4821F.jpeg4C018076-077D-477A-A007-392E5776EF78.jpeg

This is the Wisper Wayfarer thumb throttle is the one I’m considering
E7CE187E-A202-431D-82A8-571A485C03FE.jpg

Alternately, there are these types on Amazon
GAESHOW 130X Thumb Throttle Control Accessories Waterproof Connector for Electric Scooters E‑Bike Bicycle Thumb Throttle Electric Bicycle Waterproof
by Fashion Ustory
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HWP3QMN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ZHWAKEHPB8DZREAHBHP8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
75EFC57B-5D4E-4E5C-9C9B-ED0660F98159.jpeg

To me it looks like you just disconnect the Grip twist throttle and connect the Thumb throttle as the connections appear the same.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Yellow connector is a Julet or it should say so (raised embossing name on the connector), if so any 3 wire throttle will work. The pin outs are standard layout unless the oem party has for some reason gone a bit weird and ordered custom ones with different pin out sequence.

To confirm pin outs on the female connector in the pic above;
Gnd/Black (at 12pm) is opposite the little spline locator.
5v/Red is at 4pm & Sig/White is at 8pm.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I think you're misunderstanding something or is that for another thread?. They want to replace the throttle with a thumb type. They need advice on which one and how to wire it in.
Diggy Gun said

"The present controller display shows the amount of assist that the throttle is providing when used."

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
The Yellow connector is a Julet or it should say so (raised embossing name on the connector), if so any 3 wire throttle will work. The pin outs are standard layout unless the oem party has for some reason gone a bit weird and ordered custom ones with different pin out sequence.

To confirm pin outs on the female connector in the pic above;
Gnd/Black (at 12pm) is opposite the little spline locator.
5v/Red is at 4pm & Sig/White is at 8pm.
Can someone from Wisper confirm that the pin configuration is the standard layout.
Many thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can simply test your self, use a pair of needles poked in the holes of the female connector and probe the needles with a meter. You only need to probe 5v & Gnd to confirm 5v and the sequence is correct, the other will be the Sig wire,

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If Wisper sell a 130x then simply buy it from them to be sure.

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
If Wisper sell a 130x then simply buy it from them to be sure.
Unfortunately, they are out of stock and their support has advised that their thumb throttle has a female connector.

Just waiting for them to confirm the pin configuration as per Nealth’s comment as I currently don’t have a multimeter, my tester only goes down to 12v.

I’ve ordered the one from Amazon and will try that when Wisper has confirmed.

Advertisers