Wisper 705se current and assist display & battery life

Suek

Just Joined
Aug 19, 2020
I have a torque Wisper 705se and the display shows the assist level in bars but nothing in the current, does the torque version not show this. Also my battery can show full on display at 52miles s (700 battery) but on actual battery it is down to one green light. Then over the next 5 miles the battery indicator bars quickly go down and I am left with no battery life and gave to continue oedelling with no electrical assistance. Is this normal or do I need to return bike to shop to be looked at. Had bike 2 weeks. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
I have a torque Wisper 705se and the display shows the assist level in bars but nothing in the current, does the torque version not show this. Also my battery can show full on display at 52miles s (700 battery) but on actual battery it is down to one green light. Then over the next 5 miles the battery indicator bars quickly go down and I am left with no battery life and gave to continue oedelling with no electrical assistance. Is this normal or do I need to return bike to shop to be looked at. Had bike 2 weeks. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Hi, just picked up this thread. I too have a 905 Torque, which I love, but have also noticed this issue which you mention. I have the 375 battery and from a full charge can get around 20 miles before the display goes down from 5 to 4 bars. The remaining charge, however, disappears quite rapidly and by 30-35 miles I am left with no assist and the display switches off. The overall mileage of 35 miles per charge is about right for the size of battery, but the display is most misleading with regard to charge remaining. Makes it difficult to gauge mileage left. With regard to the 'Current' bars, they do appear but on my bike only on assist levels 4 and 5 under heavy load ie climbing steep hills. Did you get the issue resolved at the shop, or can anyone reading shed any further light?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I have the 375 battery and from a full charge can get around 20 miles before the display goes down from 5 to 4 bars. The remaining charge, however, disappears quite rapidly and by 30-35 miles I am left with no assist and the display switches off.
If a display is only going to show battery by 5 bars, in some ways it is helpful that it behaves that way, as it means you have a little more precision over the last 10-15 'critical' miles. It would be much more helpful to give a much more precise value, such as percentage (like phones). Even if percentage shown didn't directly relate to available charge/miles you would quickly learn how to interpret it.

Reactions: Phil Dryden

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
If a display is only going to show battery by 5 bars, in some ways it is helpful that it behaves that way, as it means you have a little more precision over the last 10-15 'critical' miles. It would be much more helpful to give a much more precise value, such as percentage (like phones). Even if percentage shown didn't directly relate to available charge/miles you would quickly learn how to interpret it.
Its my only regret that I did not stretch to the largest battery. The way I use it, the 375 battery is good for around 35 miles but I typically do 15-20 miles on a run out which means that I can't really get 2 rides out of 1 charge without suffering 'range anxiety'!

IanHurley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2020
I have the 905 Torque with the mid size battery. The display shows 4 'bars' or segments and has been pretty accurate it seems and bars drop as you would expect with distance travelled. Two bars come up at about 40 miles or so and I have only seen 1 bar a couple of times but that has appeared at 50 + something miles and then flashes on and off which grabs attention. No idea what my range is to flat as I have never been there since June when I bought the bike second hand with 500 miles on the clock. I usually use the first two power levels and live in North Norfolk so other parts of the country will give different ranges.

• Informative
Reactions: Phil Dryden

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
I have the 905 Torque with the mid size battery. The display shows 4 'bars' or segments and has been pretty accurate it seems and bars drop as you would expect with distance travelled. Two bars come up at about 40 miles or so and I have only seen 1 bar a couple of times but that has appeared at 50 + something miles and then flashes on and off which grabs attention. No idea what my range is to flat as I have never been there since June when I bought the bike second hand with 500 miles on the clock. I usually use the first two power levels and live in North Norfolk so other parts of the country will give different ranges.
You must have the 500 battery, then. Maybe the indicator on the larger battery sizes (there is also a 625, I think) is more accurate as there is greater charge level to play with. Do you only tend to get the 'current' indicator bars under heavy load in the higher assist settings?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Its my only regret that I did not stretch to the largest battery. The way I use it, the 375 battery is good for around 35 miles but I typically do 15-20 miles on a run out which means that I can't really get 2 rides out of 1 charge without suffering 'range anxiety'!
Or charge it every time and you are well free of range anxiety.

You must have the 500 battery, then.
Different people will get vastly different mileage out of the same battery, depending on settings used, hilliness etc.

If you look at https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/ (also relevant to non-Bosch with a little interpretation) you will see it is easy to get estimates varying by 4 times on the same battery depending on details.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Or charge it every time and you are well free of range anxiety.

Different people will get vastly different mileage out of the same battery, depending on settings used, hilliness etc.

If you look at https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/ (also relevant to non-Bosch with a little interpretation) you will see it is easy to get estimates varying by 4 times on the same battery depending on details.
Exactly, but its a pain having to recharge after every ride.
The OP said he had the mid size battery which would be the 500.
Yes, the Bosch range-assistant is a very accurate and useful tool.

IanHurley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2020
You must have the 500 battery, then. Maybe the indicator on the larger battery sizes (there is also a 625, I think) is more accurate as there is greater charge level to play with. Do you only tend to get the 'current' indicator bars under heavy load in the higher assist settings?
The battery I have is the 575w/h one, the biggest one is 700 w/h, the indicator bars don't really change at all except for an occasion where I am using max power up a steep hill for a fair distance where it will temporarly drop one bar for a short while. That doesn't happen very often where I live :)

Advertisers