Wisper Wisper 705se Review

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
I have owned my Wisper for about 5 months now and covered roughly 1000 miles so thought it was a good time to post a review.

I mainly use the bike for commuting along cycle paths, roads and gravel tracks. The Kenda Kevlar tyres have never got a puncture in my time riding and seem really strong. The reflective sidewall strip also looks nice and is an added safety feature at night. The tyres have also not dropped pressure since I initially inflated them.
The riding position is upright, which suits me. I’m not too keen on the road style of bikes with drop bars. Makes me think I’m lying down! Being 6 foot I think I am at the upper end of the limit. I have the saddle on the highest setting.

The Shimano 7 speed derailleur has not needed any tensioning or adjustment since I have been riding. 1st gear is low enough to stay sat down on some of the bigger hills in Bristol. The 7th gear in my opinion could do with being a little higher, as any speed above the 15.5mph electric limit your legs are going a bit fast!

The 250w brushless rear motor is plenty powerful enough for big hills. It has never cut out on me or got significantly hot when I’ve been riding. My version has the torque sensor rather than cadence. I found that the cadence sensor felt unnatural, the torque sensor also seems to use less of your battery power. For people with medical conditions, if you turn the hand throttle whilst peddling it overrides the torque sensor and puts it into cadence mode. I also think it does this on Power Assist Level 5 but I’m not 100% sure.

I have the 375wh battery (Bigger capacity is available, 575wh and 700wh). The farthest I have been on a single charge is 25 miles using assist level 3. There were still 2 bars remaining on the display, I think it could have easily gone another 10 miles on this charge. The battery is removable using a key which is handy for charging at work! The frame which holds the battery in place (Part of the pannier rack) has two handy brackets protruding from the sides. I’ve found that these are just the right size to hold a standard size D-Lock. The included bungee strap then holds them in place securely so that they don’t pop out going over bumps. You can also still use the bungee to secure cargo on the rack (Max 25Kgs). I also secured a pump to the rack for emergencies, luckily haven't had to use it yet!
I did find that the bolts holding the pannier rack to the frame worked themselves loose and started to squeak after going over some unexpected off road terrain. I put some Loctite on them before doing them up and they have been fine since. I believe that current models come with the Loctite pre applied.

The display is well laid out and easy to read. You can switch between KMH and MPH if you need. The built-in lights are controlled by the display which is handy when going through tunnels etc. This also turns on the backlight on the screen. Your current assist level is shown and the amount of “effort” that the motor is providing is shown above. You can also switch between total "ODO" miles covered and resettable trip miles.

The built-in lights are bright enough for the dark, and its handy that they run off the main battery. (I do have rechargeable ones mounted just in case!) The front light is a 15w LED and easily lights up the road when in the dark or in a long tunnel. The rear light is a static red RED built into the reflector. Ideally, I would have preferred this to be in its own housing without reflector as it difficult to see when it is bright out but raining, especially as the battery has a built in reflector directly above. Also, the ability to make it flash would have made it better. I would suggest adding a separate flashing light to the rear.

The brakes are Hydraulic Tektro Discs and have more than enough stopping power for this bike. I did have a problem with grinding front brakes, but the aftersales guys at Wisper were brilliant and sent new pads and discs to me through the post. After I replaced them, they were faultless. 180mm disc on the front and 160mm disc on the rear, both using the same style of brake pad.
The Suntour front forks are hydraulic and soak up any minor bumps. I did think about getting a dampened seat post to give the rear (and my rear) some suspension but I personally don't think it is worth it. The saddle is already pretty comfy for a standard one.

I personally think that Wisper has done a great job at making this Step Through unisex. I was a bit sceptical that it was a “girls bike” at first, being a 30 year old bloke, but the matt black paint job seems to make it look a little aggressive, like a stealth fighter! The majority of the wiring is hidden inside the frame which is a nice touch.

The only negatives that I have with the bike is the rear light as I mentioned, and I cant seem to find a roof mounted bike rack that fits the step through design. The Thule 598 does "just" clamp to the lower part of the frame, but it doesn't feel secure enough for me, being so low down on the bike. You can get a "fake" crossbar for them, that may open up mounting possibilities on a tow bar mounted carrier maybe. Just wish I had a tow bar now!!

All in all I think that this is a great commuter bike for a very reasonable price. I wouldn't hesitate on recommending it to anyone riding on the same sort of terrain that I do.

If anybody is thinking of buying this bike and has any questions I'd be more than happy to try and answer them :)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for the great in-depth review, I certainly will take on board your points on the rear light.It's great to get some constructive criticism.

All the best, David

Reactions: 01wellsd

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Thanks for the great in-depth review, I certainly will take on board your points on the rear light.It's great to get some constructive criticism.

All the best, David
No worries. I hope people find it useful :)
And thanks for taking on board my rear light observation, I think it would be really beneficial as it has been mentioned to me by other riders. Bright enough at night, but not in dim light situations.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

PaulM

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2017
Portsmouth
Good review thanks. If I buy an electric bike this is probably going to be the one. I test rode an 705SE with cadence sensor a couple of years back along with some others and was very impressed. I'm not sure about the torque sensor. I tried a Juicy Roller with torque sensor and to me it still felt binary: power on or power off, not bike like. My conclusion was that electric bikes were pretty much economic low powered mopeds and resolved to buy one when I needed one.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Good review thanks. If I buy an electric bike this is probably going to be the one. I test rode an 705SE with cadence sensor a couple of years back along with some others and was very impressed. I'm not sure about the torque sensor. I tried a Juicy Roller with torque sensor and to me it still felt binary: power on or power off, not bike like. My conclusion was that electric bikes were pretty much economic low powered mopeds and resolved to buy one when I needed one.
Juicy have updated their torque sensor system from when they first released it. Last time I tested one, it was much better than the on/off switch that they had a year before.

Bulldogno1

Just Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Poole Dorset
Thanks for an excellent honest review.
Can I just ask what the red and black tube is on the left side of the pannier? I can see the bike lock and pump on the right side.

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
my wife has a cadence sensor on her Pendleton, I thought that was more like a power on, power off feeling.
The torque sensor on my Wisper feels much more natural to me

SanPat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2020
I have owned my Wisper for about 5 months now and covered roughly 1000 miles so thought it was a good time to post a review.
View attachment 37087

I mainly use the bike for commuting along cycle paths, roads and gravel tracks. The Kenda Kevlar tyres have never got a puncture in my time riding and seem really strong. The reflective sidewall strip also looks nice and is an added safety feature at night. The tyres have also not dropped pressure since I initially inflated them.
The riding position is upright, which suits me. I’m not too keen on the road style of bikes with drop bars. Makes me think I’m lying down! Being 6 foot I think I am at the upper end of the limit. I have the saddle on the highest setting.

The Shimano 7 speed derailleur has not needed any tensioning or adjustment since I have been riding. 1st gear is low enough to stay sat down on some of the bigger hills in Bristol. The 7th gear in my opinion could do with being a little higher, as any speed above the 15.5mph electric limit your legs are going a bit fast!

View attachment 37088

View attachment 37089

The 250w brushless rear motor is plenty powerful enough for big hills. It has never cut out on me or got significantly hot when I’ve been riding. My version has the torque sensor rather than cadence. I found that the cadence sensor felt unnatural, the torque sensor also seems to use less of your battery power. For people with medical conditions, if you turn the hand throttle whilst peddling it overrides the torque sensor and puts it into cadence mode. I also think it does this on Power Assist Level 5 but I’m not 100% sure.

I have the 375wh battery (Bigger capacity is available, 575wh and 700wh). The farthest I have been on a single charge is 25 miles using assist level 3. There were still 2 bars remaining on the display, I think it could have easily gone another 10 miles on this charge. The battery is removable using a key which is handy for charging at work! The frame which holds the battery in place (Part of the pannier rack) has two handy brackets protruding from the sides. I’ve found that these are just the right size to hold a standard size D-Lock. The included bungee strap then holds them in place securely so that they don’t pop out going over bumps. You can also still use the bungee to secure cargo on the rack (Max 25Kgs). I also secured a pump to the rack for emergencies, luckily haven't had to use it yet!
I did find that the bolts holding the pannier rack to the frame worked themselves loose and started to squeak after going over some unexpected off road terrain. I put some Loctite on them before doing them up and they have been fine since. I believe that current models come with the Loctite pre applied.

View attachment 37090

View attachment 37091

The display is well laid out and easy to read. You can switch between KMH and MPH if you need. The built-in lights are controlled by the display which is handy when going through tunnels etc. This also turns on the backlight on the screen. Your current assist level is shown and the amount of “effort” that the motor is providing is shown above. You can also switch between total "ODO" miles covered and resettable trip miles.

View attachment 37092

The built-in lights are bright enough for the dark, and its handy that they run off the main battery. (I do have rechargeable ones mounted just in case!) The front light is a 15w LED and easily lights up the road when in the dark or in a long tunnel. The rear light is a static red RED built into the reflector. Ideally, I would have preferred this to be in its own housing without reflector as it difficult to see when it is bright out but raining, especially as the battery has a built in reflector directly above. Also, the ability to make it flash would have made it better. I would suggest adding a separate flashing light to the rear.

View attachment 37093

View attachment 37094

The brakes are Hydraulic Tektro Discs and have more than enough stopping power for this bike. I did have a problem with grinding front brakes, but the aftersales guys at Wisper were brilliant and sent new pads and discs to me through the post. After I replaced them, they were faultless. 180mm disc on the front and 160mm disc on the rear, both using the same style of brake pad.
The Suntour front forks are hydraulic and soak up any minor bumps. I did think about getting a dampened seat post to give the rear (and my rear) some suspension but I personally don't think it is worth it. The saddle is already pretty comfy for a standard one.

View attachment 37095

I personally think that Wisper has done a great job at making this Step Through unisex. I was a bit sceptical that it was a “girls bike” at first, being a 30 year old bloke, but the matt black paint job seems to make it look a little aggressive, like a stealth fighter! The majority of the wiring is hidden inside the frame which is a nice touch.

The only negatives that I have with the bike is the rear light as I mentioned, and I cant seem to find a roof mounted bike rack that fits the step through design. The Thule 598 does "just" clamp to the lower part of the frame, but it doesn't feel secure enough for me, being so low down on the bike. You can get a "fake" crossbar for them, that may open up mounting possibilities on a tow bar mounted carrier maybe. Just wish I had a tow bar now!!

All in all I think that this is a great commuter bike for a very reasonable price. I wouldn't hesitate on recommending it to anyone riding on the same sort of terrain that I do.

If anybody is thinking of buying this bike and has any questions I'd be more than happy to try and answer them :)
Great review! My 705 arrived on Friday :) So far I'm really impressed. I am looking for a suitable bike lock but was unsure on the size, I like how you store yours on the rack, I suppose the size isn't an issue after all!

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Great review! My 705 arrived on Friday :) So far I'm really impressed. I am looking for a suitable bike lock but was unsure on the size, I like how you store yours on the rack, I suppose the size isn't an issue after all!
This is the lock that I bought. The other was donated by my grandad!
There are sizes quoted in the description, I’d suggest getting a stronger one of the same size. Maybe Kryptonite? It’s quite a snug fit so I wouldn’t go any bigger.
I only went for a cheap one as my bike is always locked up outside the guards office at the MoD!

Reactions: SanPat

SanPat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2020
This is the lock that I bought. The other was donated by my grandad!
There are sizes quoted in the description, I’d suggest getting a stronger one of the same size. Maybe Kryptonite? It’s quite a snug fit so I wouldn’t go any bigger.
I only went for a cheap one as my bike is always locked up outside the guards office at the MoD!

I've ordered this one:

Hope it's okay, it is a gold sold secure one and I've ordered an alarm also. Now looking for a gps tracker! I really want to be able to go and do a little bit of grocery shopping on my bike but I'm really worried about it getting stolen!

Reactions: 01wellsd

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
I've ordered this one:

Hope it's okay, it is a gold sold secure one and I've ordered an alarm also. Now looking for a gps tracker! I really want to be able to go and do a little bit of grocery shopping on my bike but I'm really worried about it getting stolen!
Looks good to me,
It may be worth getting a cheapo one like mine as well so that you can also lock the front wheel to the frame of the bike. Just adds one more level of deterrent to any potential thieves.
I saw an RAC one in B&M the other day for £10

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020

All the best, David
Hi David!

Could you explain the Torque model to me, is it correct that if you twist the throttle on the left grip, it changes from a torque sensor mode to a cadence mode? So essentially becomes the SE version?
Im asking as my partner has bad knees and she likes the Wisper 705SE, whereas i'd prefer to buy the 705 Torque model.
If the torque model can offer both cadence(as long as the pedals are rotating it will offer power related to the current power level 1-5), as well as torque sensing it seems the ideal bike to share for both me and my partner!