wisper 806fe knackered

opaz

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2009
Hi, I left this bike in a shed "for a while" (ok years, not months) and now the power assistance isn't working. The battery seems ok. I notice the cables in and out of the vaguely triangular box at the front (which I take to be the controller?) are rather perished so I'm guessing that might be the cause.

As you may have guessed I'm no techie but I'm going to try and fix it myself (partly because I'm in yorkshire and all the wisper dealerships seem to be around the M25) .

Does anyone know where I could get hold of a manual? The only ones on wisper's site are for the current models. I've tried googling for an older one but no joy.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's probably the battery that has had it. The cells in these lithium batteries completely fail if they drop below a certain voltage, so it's important that they are charged at least every three months if out of use. Wisper recommend every two months.

The fact that the voltage might read ok can mean nothing, if the cells have failed they drop voltage to zero as soon as a load is applied. To start with try fully charging the battery and the voltage should read 41.5 to 42 volts on a meter.

Then try to run the motor with a meter connected if possible and see if the voltage plunges. If you can't have the meter connected then, watch the battery meter on the bike to see if that slumps to zero as you try to run the motor.

opaz

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2009
You think so? I don't have a meter unfortunately (although I could try and borrow one). The meter on the bike has always slumped dramatically when the bike calls for power, but it usually carries on going for a fair bit nonetheless. I'll follow your suggestion though thanks

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Opaz,

Your bike is about 7 years old I believe. If you drop me an email I will dig up the manual for you.

The controller is in the battery housing, the triangle is a connection box.

We can still supply the battery if you would like to replace it, however I would get the bike thoroughly checked out before investing in a new power pack.

All the best, David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What brilliant service from Wisper!
Agreed, they're quite likely the best in the business and have always set a very high standard of customer care.

It's why David advised you to have the bike checked out before replacing the battery. He'd rather lose that battery sale than have you waste the money.