Wisper Battery failure

AndyB

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2008
Loughborough
I've had a Works 905 SE since early summer and ridden a problem free 500 miles. After a few short intermittent losses of power the battery has now failed. It registers less than a millivolt on my multimeter and the impedence is less than 1 ohm. Consequently the charger sparks when connected and cuts out. It seems as though it is shorting internally (a loose wire perhaps?) but am reluctant to break the seal as I'm hoping the warrantee is still valid. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had these problems?
Andy

siggah5

Nov 21, 2008
battery

Hi Andy

Any probelms with a wisper and call the d-team(thats david at wisper).
Im sure you will get your problem sorted out.

WISPER BIKE CLINIC

Regards Andy:)

AndyB

May 8, 2008
Loughborough
I range Wisper yesterday and they asked me to email their technical guy Norman with details so am hopeful they'll help, I was just interested to know if this was a common problem...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There were the odd incidences of a battery problem in the earlier days Andy, in common with many makes, but I've seen no report of trouble in this forum or elsewhere on this latest type since it came into use. In fact these later batteries are made by a different company, since Wisper changed their battery manufacturer.

C

Cyclezee

Are you sure the charger is OK Andy? Which type is it, the HP fan cooled type or the earlier one? What make is the battery, is there a Lishen label on it, or is it another brand?

J:) hn

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Battery problems

Hi Andy

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Please don't break the seal!

As Flecc has quite correctly said we have not had hardly any problems since we changed battery supplier about a year ago. If you have had it for less than a year it is under warrantee so please don't worry.

I am in China at the moment and have just seen our latest battery system which has a new BMS that simply plugs into a PC for a full diagnostic. Damn clever these Chinese! :D

All the best David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am in China at the moment and have just seen our latest battery system which has a new BMS that simply plugs into a PC for a full diagnostic. Damn clever these Chinese! :D

All the best David
Nice one David. I do worry though that it might encourage a new breed of hypochondriac owners, anxiously plugging their batteries into their PC every week. :rolleyes:

We've seen something like this since Panasonic included a capacity checking feature on their batteries.

AndyB

May 8, 2008
Loughborough
John,
The battery is Lishen - is that the newer one? The charger is not fan cooled. I'm fairly sure it's not the charger as that is registering 42V on my multimeter, whereas the battery has 0mV and an impedence of <1 ohm, which to all intents and purposes is a short circuit. In fact I'm fairly impressed with the charger given that it has been connected to a short circuit for a few days, after the initial flash at connection to the battery it seems to cut the current to prevent damage.

David,
Thanks for your reassurance -it's OK I've not broken the seal.
Andy

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Battery

Hi Andy

Lishen is one of the older batteries, our new batteries are from Advanced Electronics. Can you please give me the serial number and I will get this sorted out for you?

Best regards David

Last edited:

AndyB

May 8, 2008
Loughborough
David,

Your service Dept (Norman) has the battery and has just emailed me to say it has suffered a irrepairable failure and will need replacing. I didn't note the serial no.

thanks

Andy

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Battery

Hi Andy

I think your bike is over the year's warranty period, judging by the serial number and the type of battery. I beleive you bought it second hand, do you have the original sales invoice?

Don't worry we will find a way to help you but it would be great if you had the document for administration purposes.

Best regards David

AndyB

May 8, 2008
Loughborough
To complete this story. The battery only had 6m warrantee according to e-wheels (the original vendor of the bike) so they made it clear that they were not going to help. However Wisper stepped in and sent me a part used battery to replace the failed one. The socket on the battery was a different design so I had to change that back to the one off the failed battery. I've been on one quick test run and it seems to be OK, although I've not had chance to test it on a long run to see how well the battery lasts (Wisper say it's relatively new so should be OK).

Thanks then to Wisper who could've stood back and said "not my problem!"

No idea why the battery failed though...

Andy

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Replacement

Thanks for you comments Andy,

Yes the replacement battery was pretty well brand new, and from AE not Lishen hence the change in connectors, sorry about that!.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards David

Advertisers