Wisper Bike will no longer power up

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Hello all

My wisper 905 bike (2013) has suddenly stopped working. It wont power up.

It is fully charged. Pressing the battery level button on the battery, indicates the battery is fully charged.

If I switch power on, the lights on the controller briefly flash, then all turn off. It looks like its dead :(

I have disconnected and reconnected the battery. No change. I dont know what could be wrong. I am very sad to see this happen. I never had this happen to my previous 2008 Wispa bike.

Can anyone advise on what could have happened? I hope a solution can be found.

Please help.

Many thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Has it suddenly stopped working because of an incident ?
Has the battery been dropped, bike been knocked over or bumped up down a kerb or a pot hole etc,etc ?

Double check the battery output voltage with a meter, if display turns off then power supply between it and battery is interrupted check both battery and battery receiver connections are clean and not corroded.

The controller, display or wiring may also be at fault if you are unable to carry out diagnosis then turn to a Wisper dealer to find the fault.

Reactions: oregon

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Has it suddenly stopped working because of an incident ?
Has the battery been dropped, bike been knocked over or bumped up down a kerb or a pot hole etc,etc ?

Double check the battery output voltage with a meter, if display turns off then power supply between it and battery is interrupted check both battery and battery receiver connections are clean and not corroded.

The controller, display or wiring may also be at fault if you are unable to carry out diagnosis then turn to a Wisper dealer to find the fault.
Hi Nealh

Thanks for your reply.

It stopped working after I had cycled to my local tube station, and left it locked outside. It then rained quite a bit while it was there. The bike was wet when I returned to it, and from that point, it would not power up.

I have removed the battery and cleaned the underside and the connections. Could not see any corrosion.

I do not have a meter to check the voltage so it will probably have to go to a Wisper dealer.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
An honest reply of the cause of the fault, that clears up the reason straight away.
There usually is precursor to why something has suddenly developed a fault and often like your case a simple occurrence/event has been omitted in the original posting.

Standing rain is an ebikes worst enemy, if left in those conditions needs a bike cover or at least battery and display cover. Fault is most likely one of three, battery , controller or display and water ingress has affected the electronics/wiring.

Your best option is a Wisper dealer and to buy a bike cover or tie some shower caps or strongs bags around the battery and display if left outside when rain is about.

Riding in rain is different and usually motion and the rider prevents water ingress, standing rain is a different kettle of fish.

Cwah used to leave his bikes out in all weather uncovered until he ruined a new 48v battery, it filled up with water.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Water/moisture on a pcb or affecting pos/+ line will cause interference/temp shorting so explains power failure.

Sometimes it can take days for things to dry out and maybe work again.
Battery and display can be placed in a warmed place to dry out, some have had success with placing items in a bag with rice to draw out mositure in a warm place.
Controller is harder to do and needs complete disconnection/removal or at least the cover take off and a hair drier on a luke warm setting to try and blow dry it .

Finally if you have throttle disconnect it sometimes they are a prime fault when rain/moisture is involved.

Last edited:

oregon

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2008
Palmers Green, London
Thanks for your very helpful replies

The bike has been indoors for the week and nothing has changed. I will try and see if I can open up the display and check for water in there.

Advertisers