Wisper Clone on eBay

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
they say they "will come to you to get you going"...for £30 they are willing to travel up to 200 miles......seems a really odd thing...:eek:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Clone

Hi John

Thanks for that, we hadn't spotted it.

This bike is made by a chap called Mark Rao who used to work as a sales rep for C and U Engineering, the company we employed to develope the bike with us. When Mark was "made redundant" from C and U he thought he would take our concept and make a cheap version.

Unfortunately there is little we can do to stop him as the frame design is sufficiently different to ours to stop us going for him on copyright. If he tries to pass it off as a Wisper then that is a different matter.

I don't believe in knocking competition so I will leave it to people who buy one to report on it. Suffice to say it is not a Wisper and does not share any of the same components.

I have just had a very interesting chat with Simon Hopkinson of e-bikes UK who bought them from Mark and has now put them on e-bay to get rid of them. Simon told me he certainly will not be buying any more from Mark and is now considering become a Wisper retailer.

Every cloud has a silver lining! :)

Best regards David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Asbestos

I have just spoken to our Autralian Partner who informs me that there has been a terrible problem with the asbestos in the brake pads on this bike.

Best regards David

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I have just spoken to our Autralian Partner who informs me that there has been a terrible problem with the asbestos in the brake pads on this bike.

Best regards David
Eeeerm, I didn't think anywhere used Asbestos anymore? My son is an asbestos surveyor (Not a removal man) He has had to go through many exams to get where he is and I worry because he will run out of work, but he assures me he won't :D
I had asbestos in my house that I was not aware of, in my electric meter housing :eek:
I guess it is only dangerous in it's airborne particle state though, best not brake too hard, lol Just think it is a bit bizarre to use this material :confused:
LOL Mandy

dufus25

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2008

Best regards David
I find that very hard to beleive David, the use of asbestos in highly controled these days and it would not be licenced for use in a product that is well known to produce dust.

Could be chinese wispers :) Get it:)

Dufus

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I find that very hard to beleive David, the use of asbestos in highly controled these days and it would not be licenced for use in a product that is well known to produce dust.

Could be chinese wispers :) Get it:)

Dufus
I don't imagine David would have gone into print unless he was sure of the facts!

It's a good job that replacing brake pads is one of the easier bits of bike DIY

dufus25

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2008
Maybe not and i am not calling him a liar. Not all asbestos is dangerous though so it may be slightly misleading.

All meant in good houmour.

people really are negatative in here. All my research is informing me that elecric bike are owned by really arsey types who love to pick fault in others. your not happy unless your all having a go. Every time I have posted in this forum someone has had a go back. Keith Hazel being the latest last night 'not wanting to start an argument with me' when quoting from the cyclepoint website. And Flecc telling me I cant read!

What a bunch of ****** this place is. Think i'll put my £1200 towards a conventional bike.

How do you delist from this dump. I see others have left and its not surprising.

Dufus

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
people really are negatative in here. - - - - - - -

And Flecc telling me I cant read!

Dufus
I would never do such a thing. This is what I said:

"misreading I think, that is the same Torq II with disc front brake."

Note the words "I think", indicating that I was open to correction, which you duly did when informing me that the site page had been changed in between our readings. If I'd said that you had definitely misread and it subsequently turned out that you hadn't, I would have immediately apologised.

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Having spent 15 years in IT I know that misunderstandings are really common in blogs, discussions, emails, texts etc.

Its the lack of face to face visual contact that causes most of the trouble, particularly where postings are intended as humourous; in the on-line world there are no facial expressions or body language to help interpret the message.

When things go badly wrong the results are known as "Flame Wars", and a quick Google will provide info on some really spectacular ones.

The only real solution is to excercise more patience, restraint and tolerance on-line than you might face to face.

Here are a few suggestions I've come across that might help:
Misunderstandings abound in discussion forums. Many times simply due to one side not taking the time to ensure that their message and intent is clear, while the other side reads into the posting things that may not be there.

That is why it is always so important if you read a posting that upsets you to:

* First, take the words at face value and don't assume anything. If you are not sure of intent or the tone relayed, ask for clarification before you spend the energy being upset and snapping back with an emotional response.

* Then, take a deep breath. If you are sure the other side is purposefully trying to be upsetting or rude, wait until the next day, if at all, to reply. Many times rude and malicious poster do not deserve a response. Just leave those who can only communicate by being nasty wallowing in their wait for a response from you that will never come.

A great majority of misunderstandings are because one side didn't realize how the words they chose and how they chose to write them (formatting, bolding, red text, caps, etc.) may be taken based on the relationship dynamics with the person on the other side of the screen.

The best rule of thumb is to take time to cool off. Typing out an emotional reply never solves anything. You may be surprised how you will have a different point of view when you review the posting the next day to determine even if it is worth a response.
Regards,

Elephants

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Having spent 15 years in IT I know that misunderstandings are really common in blogs, discussions, emails, texts etc.

Its the lack of face to face visual contact that causes most of the trouble, particularly where postings are intended as humourous; in the on-line world there are no facial expressions or body language to help interpret the message.

When things go badly wrong the results are known as "Flame Wars", and a quick Google will provide info on some really spectacular ones.

The only real solution is to excercise more patience, restraint and tolerance on-line than you might face to face.

Regards,

Elephants
Excellent advice Elephants
bw
musicbooks

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
All meant in good houmour.

How do you delist from this dump. I see others have left and its not surprising.

Dufus[/QUOTE]-----------------------------------------------------------

unfortunatly you didnt research enough as if you read the very very small print you will see you can NEVER leave this "dump"..you are obligated to log in ever morning and evening for the next 25 years, unless the day does not have a "y" in it... and after this period if you are sure you want to leave....just turn your computer off at the mains :rolleyes:

all meant in good humour Dufus,this is a place of information and merryment

Timco541

Just Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Well I bought one and its ace!

Well I bought one and it is excellent. I am commuting 20 miles per day in Scotland including some very steep hills. It is very well put together and the components are of good quality. The motor is powerful and the battery is still showing a green light when I get home from work. I have covered several hundred miles on it and I am a very satisfied customer.

Chris_Bike

Pedelecer
May 20, 2008
Birmingham

Regards,

Elephants
Wise words indeed Elephants (ps. love the name:D !)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
whats the differnce

whats the main differences between one of these and a wisper 905SE?

It looks like it has a powerful battery...will it be the same as the wisper?

may be worth a punt if they are still going to be around. will I be able to get a replacement battery in say a year or two thats the rub

The price seems fair, I still think these electric bikes are generally overpriced and need to be around 700 - 900 squids to attract average users.

PS just back from month trip to Italy and it seems like the electric bike is a developing market, with quite a few new models coming out....But what do I know! lol

Eddieo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Have a look at what Wisper said here Eddie.

One member, Poppy in Spain, has one of these clones and has not been very happy with it. Cheapness often comes at a different price, frequently more unpleasant that a few extra pounds in the first instance.

You're right that the electric bike market is healthily expanding in Italy, and we have several members of the Italian forum also as members here. If you speak Italian, here's the link for the forum there:

Italian E-bike forum

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I don't see why it will necessarily be that bad. You could easily put together a bike like the Wisper 905 SE Sport/City for around £500 using the exact same components where available, or in the case of the frame which is probably proprietory, equivalent items. A volume manufacturer would no doubt be able to put one together for much less than this.

Ebay and chinese sellers often will sell at very slim profit margins. I expect Wisper's margins per bike are very high. I'm not saying they are making a huge profit, they may not be because their non-manufacturing related costs maybe very high too. You would almost certainly get better customer service from them.

Saddlesore

Pedelecer
May 18, 2008
Just going back to the clone issue - I had noticed that the bikes e-bikes UK were marketing were very similar to a genuine wisper and had been for some time with the inducement of travelling a set distance for a potential buyer to try out.
I note on e-bay that the Strongman e-bike that's selling for £660 or so ( and featured in a recent thread) appears to be similar as well - well at least framewise although the motor on offer is only 200 watts - is this from the same source or from a pirate copy made in China?
Personally I wouldn't touch one and would rather have the genuine article and a reliable backup than buy from a here today gone tomorrow outfit.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't see why it will necessarily be that bad. You could easily put together a bike like the Wisper 905 SE Sport/City for around £500 using the exact same components where available, or in the case of the frame which is probably proprietory, equivalent items.
I doubt it, the battery is the crucial thing on these bikes and a very large expense if it has a short life. Wisper have changed manufacturer to ensure they have a reliable 37 volt 14 Ah unit, and at it's price of just under £300 it's heavily subsidised to be competitive, £100 less than the smaller 10 Ah one on the eZee bikes and only the same price as the 26 volt one on the Panasonic unit.

You certainly wouldn't be able to buy the same battery or quality equivalent the same size for less, so the battery alone would eat up most of your proposed £500. Add at least £50 for a charger and there's little left for the bicycle, hub motor, controller and other electrics. Prices from the Far East have increased substantially in recent months, and that's why the price of so many bike makes has increased so much.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I doubt it, the battery is the crucial thing on these bikes and a very large expense if it has a short life. Wisper have changed manufacturer to ensure they have a reliable 37 volt 14 Ah unit, and at it's price of just under £300 it's heavily subsidised to be competitive, £100 less than the smaller 10 Ah one on the eZee bikes and only the same price as the 26 volt one on the Panasonic unit.
I'm certainly NOT an expert on battery quality and can differentiate only on specs really. I think you can easily get a battery with better specs for less than 300 but obviously taking a risk on quality. I did some research on Alibaba trying to cadge a free sample off someone and found firms supplying 36V 20AH for around 150 in small multiple orders. Again, I don't know about quality. You can certainly get a battery with good reviews on ebay with better specs for much less than 300 though.

My reckoning was basically: battery 200, motor 100, bike 200 (generous). Controller and peripheral items are negigable, say 30 at most.