Wisper "Off road " switch

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Hi
I've had my Wisper 905se for several months now, and I am generally very happy with it - it has performed very well.
There is one thing though that I would dearly like to address - in pedelec mode (my preferred one) the bike seems to run out of steam at about 13mph ish and certainly below the legal limit of 15.5 mph. The "off road switch" only seems to affect the motor power delivery in throttle mode. Is their any way of re-wiring this so that it will also allow the pedelec system to function up to the 18-19mph - (even the 15.5mph would help)?
I know that I can get around this to some extent by using the throttle and adding in the pedal effort, but it would be much more satisfying if it were possible to use the pure pedelec system to the full. Even using it more effectively up to the 15.5 mph would be nice.
The bike does not have a power loss problem, it is fine up inclines, and on the throttle, but just gives up a little too early (in pedelec mode) on the flat into a stiff sou'westerly.
Cheers, Phil

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
More power in Pedelecs mode

Hi Phil

Thanks for your constructive comments, I have passed them on to Dick Lai at the factory for his comments.

I will get back to you.

Best regards David

The_Bike_Whisperer

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2008
Pedelec motor only 11-12m.p.h max

I have a similar issue with the 905Se motor only assisting the peddling action up to 11-12 m.p.h. in standard mode. No problem with overall power as with off-road activated the bike will go to 18 m.ph on the twist grip.

Any help would be appreciated, could this be a wiring issue, bike is only a few weeks old.

In all other repects the bike is great...

John

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Speeding up the derestrict mode

Hi John and Phil,

Sorry it took a while but I have the fix for you.

You will need to take the side off the controller panel which is under the battery. You will need to take out the three stainless steel bolts to do this.

You will find a grey wire leading from the controller that ends in a small black plastic cable end. (This cable continues to the de restrict button) Within the cable end you will find a small screw, simply turn it clockwise to increase the speed and anti clock wise to decrease it.

The cable end is the one in the image with the red circle around it.

Speed up std mode 60kb.jpg

If you have any difficulties please let me know.

Best regards David

Last edited:

The_Bike_Whisperer

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2008
David, Thanks for the info, the adjustment advised will increase the max speed in standard mode when using the twist grip, but does not increase motor assist when just peddling. The adjustment screw is turned anti-clockwise to increase speed.

Is there an adjustment to raise the motor assist speed from my current 12mph to 15.5m when just peddling? Currently I have to also use the twist grip to gain motor power above 12mph.

Regards
John

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I must agree that it does seem very easy to overun the motor when in Pedelec mode, it certainly seems to run out of puff early.

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
I don't know the Whisper very well, but I have had similar problems with pedal sensors before. ie. some just do not go as fast as others, if your sensor disc is the type with small round magnets check to make sure none have fallen out.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Whisperer, when you adjusted the screw did you turn it clockwise or anti-clockwise ? I have turned it both ways without any significant change. My unassisted speeds are 11 & 15 mph.

The_Bike_Whisperer

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2008
I turned the screw anti-clockwise which increased the unassisted speed to about 18m.p.h without the off-road button being pressed. This now makes the off-road button redundant and allows the highest assisted speed available with or without using the pedals. This is a major improvement to the speed/rideability of the bike.

You should see a major difference in the wheel speed when adjusting the small screw. After turning the screw tilt the bike on it's side stand and watch the wheel speed when turning the twist grip. Are you sure you are turning the correct screw?

David is looking to see if there is an adjustment to raise the level of motor assist speed when using just the pedals.

Regards
John

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Interesting, I did get the impression that it was a little faster and the button wasn't working this morning (I thought I had disturbed something). I'll have a good look at the weekend. I am loath to adjust things too much as the wiring is a tight fit in the compartment and looks all too easy to trap when putting it back in.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Oddly enough, my 905se doesn't have this pot at all, the wiring from the switch connects directly to a pair (white) on the controler.

I discovered this when fault finding - my green button had no effect whatsoever, and so the bike was permanently derestricted (only on the throttle). The problem turned out to be a bad solder joint in the cable between the front connector box and the switch.

My guess is that the restriction for the pedelec is set within the controler itself, as I've read that pedelec only provides 40/80% of the full current delivery to the motor (low/high) - so presumably also has it's own voltage setting, whereas the throttle delivers 100% when fully open. My guess is that the pedelec and the throttle are handled independantly within the controler, to allow both to be used at once.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Green Button

The green button has gone now from all new Wisper bikes, you can still permanently de restrict by making an adjustment within the new front controller box.

I must stress that this makes the bike illegal for use on the public road and should only be used on private land.

If you need to know how to make the adjustment please drop me a PM.

The removal of the restrict function reduces range per charge and only allows the motor to help to about 18/19mph. It does not make the motor more powerful.

Regards David

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Hi All,

I'm new to ebikes, just had a Whisper SE 905 sport for a week now, so still getting used to it. But I am very impressed so far.

I am however experiencing the same issue with regards pedelec mode - it only adds power until about 11-12.5mph (it varies, but I haven't figured out why yet).

Has this been resolved? Is there an adjustment?

And as an aside, is it possible to retro fit the off-road switch to a current SE 905 Sport model?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Green button and speed.

Hi Zombie!

Sorry to read you are not getting the full 15.5 mph from the bike, have you spoken to your dealer about it, if so what did they say and who are they?

The green button can easily be retrofitted and are free of Charge, if you email me with your address and chassis number I will arrange for one to be sent to you on Monday.

Best regards David

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Hi David,

I do get 15.5 mph under throttle on the flat - no problems there. It's just the pedelec that cuts out early.

I haven't spoken to the dealer yet as I am still getting used to the bike and how it works so only noticed it in the last few days and was making a concious effort to note exactly what was happening. The dealer is Atmosphere Electric Bikes in Bristol. I'm based in Poole (It was the only dealer I could find at the time, I now know that there is a dealer out in New Milton but too late now :) I also didn't realise that Whisper Bikes was based in Sway - eitherway I wanted to test out the bike and was so impressed that I bought one there and then.

If it is possible to adjust the speed controller myself I am happy to do so.

Many thanks for the offer of green button, details by PM.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Atmosphere

Hi Zombie

Alastair will look after you very well, he is one of out top dealers and really understands the bikes.

The green button will go out today.

Any problems drop me a line.

All the best David

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Hi David,

I understand that Wisper pedelecs are now set-up to only assist up to around 12.5/13mph with manual input from the throttle provding assist up to 15.5mph.

Is this the expected performance? I hadn't seen any specs to suggest that the pedelec assist cutoff was anything other than 15.5mph.

As for the varying speeds in pedelec I belive the variance I have seen is due to the battery levels changing, as after about 15 miles (including a few fairly steep hills) the throttle lights are on orange with no load and drop to red on load and both the pedelec and throttle speeds are slightly lower than with a fresh charge.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
15.5mph

Hi Zombie

I have just spoken to Alastair about your worries and he is going to contact you directly.

The 905 should reach 15mph before the pedelec assistance cuts out completely although as required by law, the power will be gradually reduced from about 13mph.

The battery power will effect the performance of the bike.

If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me through the Forum or directly.

Best regards David

Advertisers