Wisper PAS removal

Farmerjim

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2017
Rugby
My Wisper 905 has developed an intermittant fault, i.e. no pedal assist. The throttle works fine. I think there is a loose wire in the PAS as jiggling the wire will return the bike to normal.

That said, I will need to remove the PAS and check it out which brings me to my question ........ Are Wisper cranks a normal size and will any crank puller fit? Halfords do one for about £7 .

Thanks for looking!
Jim

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
My Wisper 905 has developed an intermittant fault, i.e. no pedal assist. The throttle works fine. I think there is a loose wire in the PAS as jiggling the wire will return the bike to normal.

That said, I will need to remove the PAS and check it out which brings me to my question ........ Are Wisper cranks a normal size and will any crank puller fit? Halfords do one for about £7 .

Thanks for looking!
Jim
If you have a magnetic disk that passes by the sensor, do this first. Check the gap between the magnetic disk and the pickup. It should be less than 5mm. Check to make sure the disk turns with the crank. Sometimes the little teeth that snug it to the crank axle break off. The only reason you would need to remove the crank is to replace the disk. If you have a 905 torque, take it to the shop. I do not recommend attempting to take out the bottom bracket that contains the torque sensor yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Farmerjim

Sep 18, 2017
Rugby
If you have a magnetic disk that passes by the sensor, do this first. Check the gap between the magnetic disk and the pickup. It should be less than 5mm. Check to make sure the disk turns with the crank. Sometimes the little teeth that snug it to the crank axle break off. The only reason you would need to remove the crank is to replace the disk. If you have a 905 torque, take it to the shop. I do not recommend attempting to take out the bottom bracket that contains the torque sensor yourself.
Thanks Emo, I'll have another look tomorrow although I think it will be a wiring fault ; with the bike upside-down and moving the crank the motor will cut in if the wire's in the right position.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A std type of puller will be needed if the BB is sq taper.

David Miall may see this or contact him @Amps, their Wisper add is at the side of screen.
He will carry spares for all the range even after they have ceased production. If it a non torque model then repair is easier and simple with a new replacement.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Jim I’m away at the moment at the factory. All of the above us accurate.

I think I saw an email from you addressed to support@amps.bike if it wasn’t you I suggest you contact Claud using this address. He will certainly be able to sort out the issue.

All the best, David

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Farmerjim

Sep 18, 2017
Rugby
Hi Jim I’m away at the moment at the factory. All of the above us accurate.

I think I saw an email from you addressed to support@amps.bike if it wasn’t you I suggest you contact Claud using this address. He will certainly be able to sort out the issue.

All the best, David
Thanks David, yes it was me, I'll contact Claude if I need a new part.
Jim

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Hey folks, I'm trying to remove the bottom bracket on my old wisper 905 - I'm sure the bearing are busted, and also I need to replace the pedal sensor. - But which way do I unscrew the lock ring on either side? They are so stuck I can't move them any direction - and need to make sure I know which way to force it before I start jumping on the tool.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
But which way do I unscrew the lock ring on either side?
Drive side LH thread, so righty loosey, non drive side, RH thread, so lefty loosey. Hope your BB shaft is serviceable as Wisper don't have any, it's an odd size 156mm, I think. If you need one, you can convert the BB to sealed bearings. Claude told me a supply in US, I will try and find it.

Last edited:

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Drive side LH thread, so righty loosey, non drive side, RH thread, so lefty loosey. Hope your BB shaft is serviceable as Woosh don't have any, it's an odd size 156mm, I think. If you need one, you can convert the BB to sealed bearings. Claude told me a supply in US, I will try and find it.
Thanks for your help!
Ill try getting it off now and see whats inside. Sounds like a pain to order parts from the US but wisper said they had parts in the UK I presume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Ok, I've been pounding on it with a screwdriver and back of an axe for half an hour now. Nothing except cuts in the metal. The tool I bought for the job was completely useless - something like 8 inches arm on it. So I gotta ask again - is it definitely drive side: right to loosen? are there any other tricks I can try? Or should I just get a new bike?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Yes, LH thread on the drive side, so undo clockwise. A good soaking in penetrating oil may help. Applying heat around the area is also worth a try. If you are struggling with the lock ring, then you may need the help of a bike shop, or someone with the appropriate tools.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Im still struggling with the ring but have now ordered a hot air gun to see if that helps. However - even if I get the ring off, the next step is the BB itself. Where do I find a tool to get this kind of (see image)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Im still struggling with the ring but have now ordered a hot air gun to see if that helps. However - even if I get the ring off, the next step is the BB itself. Where do I find a tool to get this kind of (see image)
Not familiar with the BB, however the lock ring affair looks similar to the Bafang BBS mid drive.
Most BB's are either threaded in or use outer threaded bearings in your case the lock ring is threaded on to the protruding BB thread so does look as it should just slide or tap out.
You won't know this until the lock ring and what looks like a pas fitting to the frame are removed.

Also slop penetrating oil around the area over night to aid removal.

Lock ring tool though will need some extra heavy duty leverage to budge your rusted one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Bicycle-Bike-Cycle-Bottom-Bracket-Lock-Ring-Tool-15MM-16MM-Spanner-/123436217231

Bafang lock ring tool looks like it is similar fitting.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Installation-Spanner-Tool-for-Bafang-8Fun-BBS01-BBS02-and-BBSHD-Electric-Bikes/283029843305?hash=item41e5e4ad69:g:gPcAAOSwR7Bbfugo:rk:1:pf:1

Or if replacing the whole unit and don't need the lock ring use a pair of heavy Stilson's or Mole grips to loosen. If the lock ring is M33 thread then you can use a BBS one.

Last edited:

Chris Maluszynski

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
Finally! Used tons of chemicals and bought a hot air gun. Back of my axe for another half hour and I got the rings off! But now what?

Tried tapping on the bottom bracket but it’s not popping out. How hard should I “tap”? Isn’t the star shaped insert meant to fit a bottom bracket removal tool? But the tool shop I went to didn’t have this shape...

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Looking at the corrosion around your bottom bracket it's not going to pop out very easily. The "inserts" are not done up tight, hence the lock rings you have removed, but they can be really difficult to get moving, esp. without the right tools. BTW, they unscrew the same way as the lock rings. Prob. worth asking Claude (Wisper) about a tool to undo them, or as I suggested before, pop down your bike shop. This is a really common problem that I'm sure they have tackled many times and will have a few tricks they have used before.

If it's of some help these are the components which make up your BB, only you have 2 lock rings and threads on your spindle and not bolts.

Reactions: Chris Maluszynski