Wisper Promax disc brake pad replacement

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Frank's post from here, I just wanted to put it somewhere easier to find.
I've just replaced the pads on my Wisper front disc brake. I have the original Promax front brake. As others have posted, it's not the best brake around but I've always found it to be effective, when properly adjusted. It's the only bike I've ever had with a disc brake so I needed to do a little bit of homework to find out what to do but it is actually pretty easy and the new pads are working well.

The first task was to identify the brake model. Luckily someone on the forum had had confirmation from Dick Lai at Wisper that it was a DSK400.

Next step was to find suitable replacements. I bought these ones from eBay (£6 delivered).

The hard bit was tracking down the Promax web site to get instructions. After a bit of googling I discovered that the Promax brand is owned by a company called Leechi in Taiwan. They actually have a decent site. The pages you need are the DSK400 manual and pictures.

Paraphrasing the instructions, you need to turn the bike over, take the front wheel out, unscrew the brake with an Allen key, fish out the pads, put in the new ones, re-fit and re-adjust.

It took me about 5 minutes, and the brakes are working well!

Frank

MikeB

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 2, 2007
Identifying disc brake type

Thanks Frank
I have a Wispa 905e works (Oct 07) and am about to run on metal as the front pads are very low. local chaps can't supply due to oddball type.

How did you find out what type/model that is fitted to yours?

Cheers MikeB--Derby

siggah5

Nov 21, 2008
promax disc brake pads

Hi Mikeb

I have a spare set i picked up from wisper,if you pm me i will send them to you.

Andy

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Hi Mikeb

I have a spare set i picked up from wisper,if you pm me i will send them to you.

Andy
I think the problem is that he isn't sure what type of brake he has, rather than not being able to find the pads. The pads for the DSK400 are fairly common so I don't see why his LBS can't source them, the importer is Fibrax and they sell them direct.

Last edited:

MikeB

Oct 2, 2007
MikeB brakes

Cheers Chaps

Have found out that they are Zoom (Should have looked a little better) but no model indicated, perhaps there is only one model:confused:

Will bet in touch with Norman I think and see what can be done.

Appreciate the collegiate attitude, very inspiring.

Mike

Norman

Oct 20, 2008
Wisper brake pads

Mike - I have sent you a PM re the Zoom pads.

Also just to let forum members know that I have a good stock of the Promax pads that can be purchased by contacting me through the Wisper website.

Norman

Wisper Service

Advertisers