Wisper Wayfarer

Stapley13

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2017
Whitfield
Does anyone know how to increase the max speed?
By law the motor cuts out st 15.5 mph.
This is very frustrating. It feels like a brake coming on. This slows me down to around 12 moh. I then have to use more effort to get vsck to 16.5 mph.
Obviously I wouldn't go more than 15.5 mph on a public road.
Ideally I'd like the assistance to go up to around 18 mph.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Does anyone know how to increase the max speed?
By law the motor cuts out st 15.5 mph.
This is very frustrating. It feels like a brake coming on. This slows me down to around 12 moh. I then have to use more effort to get vsck to 16.5 mph.
Obviously I wouldn't go more than 15.5 mph on a public road.
Ideally I'd like the assistance to go up to around 18 mph.
Hi Stapely, which model do you have? Just a quick point, the throttle will take you to top speed very quickly.

All the best, David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
OK thanks for reminding me, what you are feeling is the torque sensor, yes you do have to work harder to achieve full speed. Let me have a chat with my guys and see what we can do.

All the best, David

Stapley13

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2017
Whitfield
The throttle does not do much. I thought it was only effective on hub drive.

I went into the settings on the LCD and 15.5 mph is the max it will go to.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
15.5 is the legal limit unfortunately. We now have to make the bikes tamper proof.

The throttle will only work up to the legal limit and works just as effectively on both mid drive and hub drive.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pedal harder for more speed above the cut off.

Jazzman007

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2022
Message me mate I'll get you doing 30mph mine dose 33mph and just the gears what restrict me now, these bikes defo not tamper proof nothing is, your prob see messages now saying if it dose thos speed your blow the motor up or it will cut out and go in low speed mode and you get 3 strikes to unlock it back to 15 mph this is all untrue I have easy done over 100 miles and can go 30 miles non stop at 30mph with no problems. Your lose 5 to 10 miles distance on the battery apart from that I would defo recommend my wayfarer rides a dream now I can do 20 miles in 45 mins. Any way message me if you want to know how it's done takes 3 mins to do it's free to do and you can restrict it again and no one would know it's ever been de restricted !

Last edited:

Jazzman007

Jul 16, 2022
And I agree the throttle dose nothing I press ot down and it dont even pull me along the motor engages but not enough power to move it, what they mean is when your in tour mode and press the throttle and peddle it will get you to top speed like turbo mode and that was my throttle before I derestrict it unfortunately derestricting dose not sort the throttle that's my next mission getting it to do 32mph on throttle I'll update once I done that

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Message me mate I'll get you doing 30mph mine dose 33mph and just the gears what restrict me now, these bikes defo not tamper proof nothing is, your prob see messages now saying if it dose thos speed your blow the motor up or it will cut out and go in low speed mode and you get 3 strikes to unlock it back to 15 mph this is all untrue I have easy done over 100 miles and can go 30 miles non stop at 30mph with no problems. Your lose 5 to 10 miles distance on the battery apart from that I would defo recommend my wayfarer rides a dream now I can do 10 miles in 45 mins. Any way message me if you want to know how it's done takes 3 mins to do it's free to do and you can restrict it again and no one would know it's ever been de restricted !
Hi Jazzmann007, my own mathematical ability is far from good, but I think that completing 10 miles in 45 minutes equates to an average speed of 13.33 miles an hour.

I used a 2015 crankdrive Haibike Yamaha to commute to work and back, cross country to work with no need for speed, but lots of fun, and on the road on the way back home where I did want to go faster to get home quicker when I was tired late at night after my shift. My bike could assist me above 15.5 and I aimed to complete my 10 mile journey home at an average speed of 20mph and take 30 minutes for the journey. This it could do fully laden with a heavy man and two full panniers on a B road route with a few hills.

I did not use full assist on my homeward journey, only the lowest eco, and the middle standard of the three I had. I also switched the assist off on the steep downhill parts of the route. I put in plenty of effort myself to get a good work out. I used no more than half the capacity of my 400Wh battery to get home throughout the year, less in the summer and closer to half used in winter. My original battery is now in its eighth year and still working well.

I have now retired and lowered the bikes gearing for its new life spent mostly off road climbing occasionally steeper and technical challenging hills, which means it cannot go as fast on the road. But I don't need to any more.

My well used bike has now completed 16,078 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazzman007

Jazzman007

Jul 16, 2022
Hi yes your maths is good and you are correct I ment to type 20 miles in 45 mins the road is pretty flat most the way with I guess a 2 mile hill climb not a mega steep hill, that was just cycling at a comfortable pace to get to 33mph my legs are going 100mph on the peddles and would look silly riding like this all the time lol, give me till mid day I'll add a video of me doing 30mph on the wisper, I wayfarer On the flat, thanks for pointing out my mistake, I weigh 80kg have not had it loaded with weight to be fair I dont think weight would slow me down as I can feel the motor still wants to go a bit faster it's just the gears that keep me at 33mph and to be fair I personally dont need to go faster than that on my push bike and dont really go above 25mph it's just handy to have that bit extra if you need to get out of trouble I can sort of see why they do restrict them as cars and other road users dont expect a push bike to be doing 25 to 30mph but personally feel 20 to 22mph would be better and safer

Jazzman007

Jul 16, 2022
Hi Jazzmann007, my own mathematical ability is far from good, but I think that completing 10 miles in 45 minutes equates to an average speed of 13.33 miles an hour.

I used a 2015 crankdrive Haibike Yamaha to commute to work and back, cross country to work with no need for speed, but lots of fun, and on the road on the way back home where I did want to go faster to get home quicker when I was tired late at night after my shift. My bike could assist me above 15.5 and I aimed to complete my 10 mile journey home at an average speed of 20mph and take 30 minutes for the journey. This it could do fully laden with a heavy man and two full panniers on a B road route with a few hills.

I did not use full assist on my homeward journey, only the lowest eco, and the middle standard of the three I had. I also switched the assist off on the steep downhill parts of the route. I put in plenty of effort myself to get a good work out. I used no more than half the capacity of my 400Wh battery to get home throughout the year, less in the summer and closer to half used in winter. My original battery is now in its eighth year and still working well.

I have now retired and lowered the bikes gearing for its new life spent mostly off road climbing occasionally steeper and technical challenging hills, which means it cannot go as fast on the road. But I don't need to any more.

My well used bike has now completed 16,078 miles.
How long have you had the bike for, 16,000 miles is that with the same motor have you had to have any work or a service on that motor

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Your mathematically amended average of 26.66 mph for 10 miles is indeed fast.

I only ever used eco on the flatter slightly down slightly up sections of my 10 mile road route home and wind resistance, eco and my own effort limited my top speed to no more than 24 mph, but nearly all the time above 20mph in eco with me pushing constantly hard on the pedals. The higher middle assist assist mode was only used sparingly on the road home to climb hills faster or maintain speed over the tops of uphill gradients when I was flagging so I could achieve my aimed for 20mph average for my 10 mile journey!

Just seen your questions. I bought the bike in March 2015, and that is the mileage I have achieved on it so far. I got a new motor right at the very end of my two year warranty period free of charge when the bearings developed play. That motor had 6,000 miles on it when it was replaced by the dealer I bought it from.

I am sure that the first motor's bearings failed due to water ingress and that it was caused by me washing the bike rather than riding it. I am very careful now to keep water away from the replaced motor when I wash it. I do however ride through the winter and wet and muddy conditions. I check for bearing play by flexing the pedal arms but so far there has been none and the motor works perfectly. So the replaced motor has done 10,000 miles. soundwave another pedelec member is encouraging me to have it fully serviced by the bearing man, and he is probably right and I may do so soon, probably in the winter, but am enjoying riding too much at the moment.

When I rode to work on the bike I increased the gearing with a 42 tooth narrow wide chain ring on the front and 12/36 cassette on the back. 9 speed system.

Now I have retired I have lowered the gearing simply by replacing the 42 tooth front chain ring with a 38 tooth one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazzman007