Woman fighting for life after 'e-bike' hit-and-run in east London

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sadly this appalling accident is going to put ebikes/speed in the spot light when in fact neither of them have little to do with the cause of the incident. By the sounds of things the rider went through a red light not obeying traffic signals and the law, the underlying cause. Some riders I believe ignore red lights/stop signals and don't believe they have to or need to comply, I see it where I live and expect others see it too.

We have to hope the unfortunate victim, the lady pedestrian will recover and mend. In due course the police we do hope will find this chap as it sounds like he will need medical attention and charge him, once that happens I hope the lady when recovered/out of danger sues the arse off him.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sadly we blatantly hear and see exploits like this from SW on here , one day it may be his fault when he hits and maims a pedestrian. Expecting people to move out of the way is not going to always happen when foot traffic mixes with fast bikes whether powered or not, no matter how good anyone thinks they are.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sadly we blatantly hear and see exploits like this from SW on here , one day it may be his fault when he hits and maims a pedestrian. Expecting people to move out of the way is not going to always happen when foot traffic mixes with fast bikes whether powered or not, no matter how good anyone thinks they are.
Here is me always seeing the best in people thinking that a lot of SW's antics are fishing expeditions, purly designed to get a response..

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Sadly we blatantly hear and see exploits like this from SW on here.
Hmmm. It's more than just a little unfair to single out SW for something that hasn't even happened.

There's no point in jumping to conclusions until further details are understood. The bike in question could turn out to be perfectly legal, but ridden by an a$$hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marc Draco

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Some of the quotes indicate to me one cyclist was trying to avoid another when the pedestrian was hit.

That could take some sorting out.

Leaving the scene does rather indicate the cyclist thought he had something to hide, even if he hasn't.

The case of Charlie Alliston - loony fixie rider who went to prison for killing a pedestrian - may have spooked this cyclist into legging it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
This has nothing to do with it being an ebike. The rider risked running a red light, according to the assumption of a witness, and hit a woman using the crossing. The same thing would have happened if he'd been riding a horse.

So, if his bike's legal, he's run a red light..

• Agree
Reactions: TedG and UrbanPuma

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just reading the Daily Mails take on this, bearing in mind its an anti cycling publication, it mentions a number of fatal accidents involving cyclists and pedestrians in recent years but can only name one, but makes no mention that the bike could be in any way be illegal.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
This has nothing to do with it being an ebike. The rider risked running a red light, according to the assumption of a witness, and hit a woman using the crossing. The same thing would have happened if he'd been riding a horse.

So, if his bike's legal, he's run a red light..
It hasn't but I guess we all need to be aware that E-bikes are heavier than regular bikes so will cause more damage to flesh and bones when they hit at similar speeds

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
It will be intersting to see if this developes into demonizing cyclists and calls for regulation.
Personally I'd like to see more regulation of cyclists on pavements and pedestrian areas. When I'm on foot, it's amazing how frequently cyclists fly past your shoulder from behind - every time it makes me jump. When I am anywhere near pedestrians, I always slow down and give them right of way. Where there are traffic queues, cyclists pile straight onto the pavements and speed down them - one time I had to open my umbrella to protect myself from an oncoming cyclist - strangely the risk to his own head made him slow. Personally I'd like to see a 4mph speed limit enforced on pavements for all vehicles; whether cycles, scooters or mobility scooters...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Personally I'd like to see a 4mph speed limit enforced on pavements for all vehicles; whether cycles, scooters or mobility scooters...
That is already the law for mobility vehicles and I agree it should be for all wheeled devices on pavements. 4 mph is about the maximum walking speed in normal walking so nothing on pavements should be faster.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Seems like the kids were just enjoying themselves with some added fun and there's no law against them riding on that road. The roads are for all road users, no matter how slow, and drivers need to chill out, relax and accept that fact.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Apparently a 30-year-old has been arrested - furious driving like the guy in London
That’s a very strange label
“Furious driving”
I drive cars , vans etc
I ride a bike I certainly don’t drive one :(

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
See the make of the bike has been released:

"Police later found the mountain bike-style powered cycle, made by Specialized, abandoned less than a mile away in Approach Close, Stoke Newington."

So not a cheap shopping bike ~ be interesting to see if it was dongled, I am sure the police will be examining it closely.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It may be a Specialized factory made ebike.

However, those describing it for the report will not be experts, so it could be a Specialized push bike that's been converted,

Advertisers