Woosh Bali motor question

Andy Isaacs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 27, 2018
Hi all,

Over the last few months I've noticed that when I am going up a hill the pedalling sensation is one of 'slipping', as if something like a cog or pin is occasionally jumping out of place. Is this me being in too easy a gear or is it likely to be a motor fault? Any ideas on what I can check please? I've re greased the motor and the external parts are fine, recently replaced the rear gears and chain. I've checked that the crank arms are on and all the bolts, nuts etc. are well seated and locked. Running out of ideas so any advice would be appreciated.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there are two places where the jumping may happen: the freewheel at the rear wheel or the clutch inside the motor.
Wait until you know for sure where the skipping noise comes from. If you want to check the freewheel, ride without power on a low gear up a hill so you can put more pressure on the chain and freewheel.
If you want to listen to the clutch in the motor, ride on throttle up a hill on a middle gear.

Motor clutch:

Andy Isaacs

Jul 27, 2018
Hello,

Thank you for such a quick response! I've just ridden without power and the feeling is not there, although it did make me appreciate the motor! It seems to be at the front, as if the pedal shaft is skipping slightly.

Edit: I've also done the throttle in a middle gear as above, and it does appear to be the clutch. Is this something I can DIY or do I need a new one?

Last edited:

Andy Isaacs

Jul 27, 2018
@Woosh If I did need to replace the motor on the Bali is the GSM Motor 36V in your online shop the one to go for? Or should I get the BBS01B CD Kit 36V 15A 250W?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Andy Isaacs

Jul 27, 2018

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have chain on a reel. I'll get back to you on Monday.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
sorry for the belated reply, KMC 8-speed 121 or 122 link chain + missing link = £15, p&p £4.