Woosh faro

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Quick question is the Faro freewheel as I believe my problem of the rear wheel not engaging when the crank, chain and gears all spin is pawls sticking. Will 3in 1 oil and better maintenance help to unstick the pawls and return the drive train to actually driving the wheel. Spinning the cranks engages the motor so pretty sure the problem is mechanical Cheers

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Quick question is the Faro freewheel as I believe my problem of the rear wheel not engaging when the crank, chain and gears all spin is pawls sticking. Will 3in 1 oil and better maintenance help to unstick the pawls and return the drive train to actually driving the wheel. Spinning the cranks engages the motor so pretty sure the problem is mechanical Cheers
That's quite a common problem, and usually easily fixed with 3-in-one oil.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Quick update Removed rear wheel and laid it flat (gear cassette up) Then squirted copious amounts of degreaser solution (washing up liquid mix) into the cassette holder whilst turning the gears back and forwards until the pawls showed resistance. Then dried thoroughly with the wife's hair dryer . Then re lobricated with Rhino general purpose handy oil and re installed wheel. Short 4 mile run out moving up and down all the gears everything seems ,ok . The burning question is Has this cured the problem, Has this only put off future problems, Has this been a warning to replace freewheel asap.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Has this only put off future problems, Has this been a warning to replace freewheel asap.
No. Instead, it's a warning to service your bike properly and lubricate the bits that need it.

Should have used 3-inOne. It cleans, lubricates and protects!

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Used oil that was available, but understand maintaining regularly is imperative. Will apply 3-inone asap. cheers

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Had this problem with my daughters Pendleton back in 2018 ( DNP epoch 8 speed freewheel). Gave it a few squirts of 3 in 1 oil and never had problems since.

Reactions: Atlav4

Advertisers