Woosh Rio FB

mjd1499

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2017
Ferndown
Hello folks,

As an introduction I thought I'd give you a few of my thoughts as regards the above, owned for about 3/4 months now.

I'm new to ebikes but not MTBs, I'm not as fit as I'd like, (57 and slowing down...), but still have all my bike skills, I'm also a motorcyclist, and wanted to get out and about off road in the New Forest, and when I heard about electrical assistance, well, yes!

The Rio looks pretty good to my eyes, not to all I know, and I liked the idea of the wider tyres. It's a 13 ah version and the only thing I've changed is the seat.

It's not perfect, the chain run effectively means the lower gears are unavailable, such is the offset between cassette and chain ring, not actually a huge issue having the battery, but still, I wish I'd noticed sooner...

It was well packed when it arrived, and assembly was easy, build seems Good, if a little crude in places, but manageable.

Battery life is way better than I expected, in the Forest, 15 to 20 miles never uses more than half and usually only a quarter of available power, and even better on odd occasion I go on the road.

Handling off-road is good if a little heavy feeling to the steering, not a bad thing really, and difficult occasionally to lift the front.

Have to stop now, and just realised this may be more appropriate in the review section, sorry...

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: topographer

Tourist

Just Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Newport
Hi mjd1499, I am also a new member and was considering a Rio mtb. Thanks for the info re the gears and chain missalignment, I have seen this hinted at in other posts. I would be interested in seeing any other views you have on the Rio before I decide between this and the oxygen S cross.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's not perfect, the chain run effectively means the lower gears are unavailable, such is the offset between cassette and chain ring, not actually a huge issue having the battery, but still, I wish I'd noticed sooner...
Hello mjd1499,

I thought I should clarify the chainline issue on the FB.
On all bikes with 8-speed cassette or 8-speed freewheel, the chain rubs a bit against the outermost and innermost rear cog, as illustrated in this picture, of a standard mtb like the Rio MTB:

The chainline on the Rio MTB is standard 43.5mm from the centerline.
The FB chainline is much farther from the centerline because its bottom bracket shell is much wider, 100mm instead of 68mm.
The chainline on the Rio FB is 80mm from the centerline at the ring and 78.5mm at the rear. The result is the FB suffers less from chain rub when you are on the outermost and smallest cog (gear 8) but more on the granny gear 1.
It may suit a lot more people because gear 8 is used a lot more than gear 1.
If you use gear 1 a lot, we can send you a 1.5mm spacer for the freewheel to shift the chain rub back to gear 8 and away from gear 1.