Woosh Rio

Peter Ball

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2015
Does anyone have experience of the Woosh Rio bike, if so, I would love to hear your opinion of them good or bad. I wondered also, does it have walk mode on the throttle which could also be use for take off when starting to ride?
Thanks for any response.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wondered also, does it have walk mode on the throttle which could also be use for take off when starting to ride?
you press and hold the - button on the LCD for walk mode, you control the speed with the left brake lever. The throttle is full acting but you need to pedal first to activate it.
The new Camino has the same facilities, its throttle has also an on/off switch to turn it off all the time when you ride in Europe.
on the Rio, you can program the number of assist levels to 5 or 9, each assist level is also programmable as a percentage of maximum power. For 5 assist levels, I usually set them to 40%, 60%, 75%, 85% and 100%.

Best regards

Tony

Last edited:

Peter Ball

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2015
you press and hold the - button on the LCD for walk mode, you control the speed with the left brake lever. The throttle is full acting but you need to pedal first to activate it.
The new Camino has the same facilities, its throttle has also an on/off switch to turn it off all the time when you ride in Europe.
on the Rio, you can program the number of assist levels to 5 or 9, each assist level is also programmable as a percentage of maximum power. For 5 assist levels, I usually set them to 40%, 60%, 75%, 85% and 100%.

Best regards

Tony
Thanks Tony, appreciated

Geoff0005

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2019
I've had a Rio ls fatbike 17ah since July last year. I've been very impressed. Chatted with them before buying, very helpful. And Delivered very well packaged. So far I've been with quality. And the distance they said I could cover on a single charge has been correct. I did put a more comfy seat on though. But that's just a personal thing. I do recommend. Also it often draws people over to have Closer look and admire.
Give them a chance.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
thank you Geoff.
Tony

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018

Best regards

Tony
Is one of the differences on a hub bike a narrower bracketing of assist levels?
The Bosch ones are something like 40/100/200/300%.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is one of the differences on a hub bike a narrower bracketing of assist levels?
The Bosch ones are something like 40/100/200/300%.
it's completely different in operating principle. The Bosch has a torque sensor, the output depends on your cadence multiplied by pedal pressure multiplied by user settable assist ratio.
The Rio has only cadence sensor and user defined outputs, independent of cadence and pedal pressure.
You have 6 assists levels: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. 0 is no pedal assist but the throttle still operates, it suits cyclists who only need ad hoc assistance for hills. All the other levels are user settable in the LCD. The default setting are 50%, 65%, 80%, 90% and 100% of the controller's maximum output which is also set in the LCD. The default is 17A. For example, on assist level 1, the controller will use up to 50% * 36V * 17A = 306W. Of course you don't get all that power while riding on assist level 1, its power limiter is set at that level. The controller will use as much or as little to keep you moving at the same speed, pedalling. An algorithm works out how much power so that you have to pedal a fair bit at assist level 1 and much less at assist level 5. The pedal assist algorithm from Lishui is good but not as natural and does not give sharp responses like you would get with a the throttle or a torque sensor system. You can feel it when changing assist level. It ramps up the power until it detects a speed increase, then reduces the power to maintain your speed. It takes about a second to work out the sustain current. After that, you wouldn't know you ride a bike without torque sensor.

Reactions: Andy McNish

Geoff0005

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2019
Does anyone have experience of the Woosh Rio bike, if so, I would love to hear your opinion of them good or bad. I wondered also, does it have walk mode on the throttle which could also be use for take off when starting to ride?
Thanks for any response.
I've had a Rio fatboy since July last year. Absolutely thrilled with it. I got the 17ah battery, on full assist I can get 30miles before battery gets to low, and that's not on the flat, that's up some good hills. But I get substantially more miles if I put more effort in. Build quality is good, and support and advice from woosh is very good.
So far no complaints. And as a plus I still get lots of questions from people about these bike as it looks good.

Last edited: