Woosh Santana motor suddently cut out, cause?

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
Hi, riding along today my fairly new Woosh Santana3 simply cut out. It's only had light use, maybe not more than a few dozen miles as it is very new and all on roads or tarmaced cycle paths. Immediately before it cut out the motor gave an unexpected and loud whirring noise for a few seconds, then (not sure if connected) rode over a bump in the road and - nothing! Attempts to restart by powering down the controller and restarting were fruitless though the handlebar controller seemed to be working in as far as it was reporting battery levels etc. The bike has only been ridden in power level 1/5 (as used mostly for flat tarmaced canal path rides) and the batter was recently charged and on five bars.

All visible connectors appear to be sound. However, I removed the rear rack, battery and battery case and I can see that one of the wires inside has badly frayed - it's the yellow one that is between the black connector (that is the end of one of the black multiplex cables going inside) and the transparent green sleeve connected to the thick red wire that I presume is the wire to the battery positive terminal.

I've enclosed a photo to show the frayed wire - could that account for the problem or is it incidental? If unrelated does it matter? And how can we get the bike back on the road again as soon as possible please? Santana-problem.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks like melt down on the phase wire ? Your next move is to speak to Woosh.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
none of the wires should be frayed or exposed outside the controller box.
You may need a replacement controller.
Please email some pictures to support@wooshbikes.co.uk - Andy will get it sorted for you.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
I could be wrong about this as I admit I am no electrician, but, should there not be a grommet around that exit port to prevent fraying of insulation?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have no idea why the cables are hanging out of the box and frayed.

The cables should look like this: