Woosh - thumbs up?

maldrich999

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Woosh input in the forums is prolific and everything I have found is positive. For those following my search for a new bike I went into Cycle Republic today to be told the 10% discount voucher I have through work is not valid on sale bikes. I wouldn't mind but this is not what the terms & conditions say so feeling a bit miffed as that would have saved me £150 on the Crossfuse and brought it to a reasonable £1350. However this disappointment has led me back to looking at the Woosh bikes. The camino looks fun with the throttle as does the faro though I'd probably want the larger battery (be lovely to be able to add this just when you need it and use the smaller one the rest of the time). I will probably give them a call to chat through but meanwhile welcome any further feedback from purchasers good or bad. I am in Newark so any problems with the bike will be far more difficult than walking into my local Halfords but the bike looks excellent value for money. Also can anyone comment on delivery time? Finally, any experience of real world range for these 2 bikes please?

Thanks for everyone's continued help in my search.

Mark

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

maldrich999

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
My question was on Woosh - was this a suggested alternative? I'm 5ft 8", 29 in inside leg so this bike looks too big anyway though thanks for the input (if intended!)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can save a bit if you buy from Germany depending on sizes but if you will need local dealer help id pay the bit extra if you need that, woosh will look after you tho ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My question was on Woosh - was this a suggested alternative? I'm 5ft 8", 29 in inside leg so this bike looks too big anyway though thanks for the input (if intended!)
sorry Mark, what was I thinking? I was watching the opening scene of tonight's Silent Witness while I was typing. Must concentrate next time.
Your height is perfectly good for both the Faro and Camino but please do give us a call sometime.
Delivery is more or less anytime you want. Both bikes are in stock.
With regard to range, the Faro gives about 25 miles with the inframe battery, 70 miles with the 17AH external battery. Your area is fairly flat so you should get a bit more than the quoted figures on the web page.

Best regards

Tony

Pete

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2009
Not really answering your question, but a quick word on Woosh. I first came into contact with them 10 years ago when they were very helpful, then again 5 years ago when I bought a kit and they patiently answered all my queries, then just again today. They went out of their way to source a piece of wiring harness for me, sent me a photo to ensure it was the right one, then said they sold it but I could get it cheaper on Ebay and even sent me a link. Now that is the sort of customer service you needed!
Just comparing with your dealings with Cycle Republic......
Peter

maldrich999

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
sorry Mark, what was I thinking? I was watching the opening scene of tonight's Silent Witness while I was typing. Must concentrate next time.
Your height is perfectly good for both the Faro and Camino but please do give us a call sometime.
Delivery is more or less anytime you want. Both bikes are in stock.
With regard to range, the Faro gives about 25 miles with the inframe battery, 70 miles with the 17AH external battery. Your area is fairly flat so you should get a bit more than the quoted figures on the web page.

Best regards

Tony
Thanks Tony - may call tomorrow.

maldrich999

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Not really answering your question, but a quick word on Woosh. I first came into contact with them 10 years ago when they were very helpful, then again 5 years ago when I bought a kit and they patiently answered all my queries, then just again today. They went out of their way to source a piece of wiring harness for me, sent me a photo to ensure it was the right one, then said they sold it but I could get it cheaper on Ebay and even sent me a link. Now that is the sort of customer service you needed!
Just comparing with your dealings with Cycle Republic......
Peter
That's great feedback & just what I need to feel comfortable - this is all new territory to me!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That's great feedback & just what I need to feel comfortable - this is all new territory to me!
You can't go wrong with Woosh, their CS/backup is superb as the business is their passion come hobby ;). They will be a breath of fresh air compared to Halfrauds/CR company.

Reactions: Pete

DBrown67

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2017
Leeds
To be honest the discounts never apply to sale items or in conjunction with other offers as far as I know. I just used a British Cycling 10% discount on a Brompton but could only get the 10% off at Halfords. Bromptons are the only bikes exempt from this at Cycle Republic.

Anyway... I've found Woosh to be really good. Bought a kit off them nearly 2 years ago. Fitted it myself and it's still going strong. My advice is to get the largest Ah capacity battery going. Don't skimp on that. I charge mine once a week at most doing around 50 miles or so a week. I did have an issue where a sensor wouldn't fit my bike but they sorted it out really quickly. It's only when issues arise that you can really judge customer service.

I'm waiting on the arrival of their Brompton kit to fit to my new B75. My previous experience gives me the confidence to buy again.

Reactions: Nealh

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If you are happy to have a Chinese 'no brand' bike then woosh are as good as any.

A branded bike fitted with a Bosch motor will be better quality overall.

But, even in a sale, that will be a few hundred more.

I would pay the extra every time - if I had it.

• Dislike
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you are happy to have a Chinese 'no brand' bike then woosh are as good as any.

A branded bike fitted with a Bosch motor will be better quality overall.

But, even in a sale, that will be a few hundred more.

I would pay the extra every time - if I had it.
Oh dear just because a bike doesn't have a China built Bosch drive it is has to belittled.

Reactions: Pete and Chainring

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Oh dear just because a bike doesn't have a China built Bosch drive it is has to belittled.
No, it's not belittling anything.

You get what you pay for.

A woosh is nowhere near the quality of a Scott, Cube, Trek, etc.

Pretend differently all you like, but that's all you are doing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Rob,

The last Woosh bike you had ridden was the first Zephyr-B, some 6 years ago.
The theme of the Zephyr B was then as is now, a foldable bike that rides like as comfortably as a full sized e-bike.
I did take on most of the points you made to make that zephyr-B suitable for sale in the shops. You can see the result on my website.

The latest incarnation of that theme is the Rambletta, on sale in a few weeks.
The Rambletta has 36V 12AH semi-inframe battery, good for 35-40 miles, £849 including delivery.
Smooth welding, internal cable routing, single shock suspension, carrying handle etc they are some of the natural progress.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I don't doubt improvements have been made, but the Bosch equipped bikes are also a bit nicer than they were in those days.

That Zephyr I tried really was a dreadful contraption.

Much better was the Scirocco(?), simple rear hub battery behind the seatpost bike.

I do think price movements in the last few years have squeezed the likes of woosh.

Your prices have gone up and prices of Bosch equipped bikes have come down.

The choice, even just on price, is now harder to make.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
our prices have gone up since the brexit referendum because of the exchange rate. In the aftermath of the vote, the Pound went from $1.40-$1.45 to just $1.25-$1.30.
Then they went up again last year when the EU imposed anti-dumping levy, forcing us to assemble bikes in Southend on Sea. That added about £75 to each bike.

So yes, our prices have gone up about 20% since 2016 but the bikes are still extremely good value for money.

When you compare our bikes with Bosch bikes, they are very different.

1. We make practical bikes, mainly for the traditionally built riders. We install lights, bell, mudguards as matter of course. We use suspension forks, wide tyres and fit large saddle. These things have an impact on looks but necessary because of our weather.

2. We install larger capacity batteries.
Bosch bikes count and insist on riders contributing 30%-50% of the required energy, we assume that our customers may be older and need more help so we factor in 100% power from the battery.

3. We install larger motors.
Again, Bosch bikes count on riders contribution, we don't.

The end result is this:

when you ride a Woosh bike, you can be assured that you get from A to B regardless of gradient, weather and your health condition.

When you, as a customer, look at the total cost of ownership, what do you see?

4. maintenance cost of the bike.

Our bikes have extremely low maintenance cost. We consciously fit only maintenance free or very long life components. That's why deliveroos ride our bikes and not Bosch bikes.

5. Easily second sourced electrical parts

We consciously use only industry standard parts. Interchangeable motors, electronics, wiring harnesses. You are not locked in to a single source for spares, you can buy replacement parts for our bikes anytime.

So yes, there is no comparison.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That Zephyr I tried really was a dreadful contraption.
Uh? Can you find a folding bike that beats the Zephyr or the new Rambletta?

This is the Zephyr:

The newer Rambletta:

And the new Rambla arriving in 3 weeks:

We aren't the showy type, the logo is very discreet, just on the head tube.

D

Deleted member 25121

It a valid exercise to compare Woosh ebikes against Bosch equipped bikes, as it is to compare eg Nissan cars against those from eg BMW, however they are targeting quite different markets so it's difficult to come to many conclusions.

BMWs cost a lot more than Nissans, their parts are more expensive, they are more expensive to run but (in my opinion) the are much more comfortable, more rewarding to drive, more stylish and their engineering is more advanced.

But it's wrong to say that BMWs are better than Nissans and visa versa. Each to their own.

Both Woosh and Bosch equipped bikes offer quality products to their targeted market.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I guess Rob based his comments on his assessment back in 2014.
Bikes are much better put together now than then.
and we did not have as much control on the components as we have now.
Still, people hold very firm views about which is better, crank drives versus hub drives, hub gears versus derailleurs, suspension forks versus rigid forks etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Pete and flecc

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Well, I'll stick up for Woosh as well. I could not fault the price or speed of delivery when I bought my first bike from them, seven years ago. They helped when any parts were needed. I think they have only got better since then, and the standard of their bikes has gone up. As Tony has pointed out, you are not tied to expensive, one-make only parts. Even if I built myself another bike with a Cube frame from Germany and a kit from Woosh, I would end up with a bike very similar to a Woosh offering and about the same price.

Reactions: Pete

maldrich999

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Gosh - I did start hares running! So as the OP I probably should share that after a few days of very helpful input from the forum I have gone for a.... Carrera Crossfuse. I was really torn and Woosh look brilliant and love the design and the speed of replies etc but ultimately I had just heard too many times from the experienced the benefit of a Bosch motor etc. Time will tell whether I've made a good choice. Thanks all.