work, leisure and fun!

01423frankieboy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2014
YO51
Hi my name is frank and I live in north Yorkshire. I have been considering buying a Ebike for a few months. Like anyone my age the forum is not big enough to go through my various health issues, LOL. I live 12 miles form my work place. A charitable residential school that works with children that have challenging behaviour.
I have researched various bikes and am thinking of buying a Kudos secret. Lots of reasons why;
a) Small can go in the back of my car so can venture out and explore our great countryside here in N.Yorks. at weekends. I was thinking of driving to various towns and villages and having a cycle round.
b)The children I work with could have a go.
c) fitness and health.
d) the green factor

Can anyone tell me are these bikes any good on hills or will I grind to a halt? I don't want to cycle miles and am not planning to do the tour, I just want something to tootle around on and see the local sites and pop in the local shops but living in NYorks not much is flat.
Thanking you in advance for any advice.
Cheers
Frank

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
It's not really designed as a hill climber but if you're not too heavy it does ok. I'm sure Kudosdave will be along in a bit to share his extensive experience of the bike. I like the Kudos Secret but no doubt others will soon be suggesting the Woosh folders.

Reactions: Jimod

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Small wheel bikes are naturally better climbers than those with larger 26" to 28" wheels due to the mechanical advantage, so although rated as having a 220 watt motor, it will be much better on hills than that would seem to indicate.

You will need to be able to help with reasonable pedal effort though, as with virtually any other e-bike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Wherabouts in North Yorkshire are you?

I have a static caravan near Bedale and did a fair bit of cycling chasing after the tour.

The terrain around Leyburn/Masham is very hilly, nothing spectacular, but one sharp climb after another.

I managed OK on my 20" wheel AVE/Bosch bike, which has decent climbing ability.

Anything weaker than that would be a struggle.

You will also get through a fair bit of battery capacity.

Nothing wrong with that, but don't expect to go many miles.

01423frankieboy

Jul 20, 2014
YO51
Hi RobF
I live in a small village on the edge of the York plain but work near Ripon. I wanted to ride to York about 12 miles away flat as a pancake; with the occasional trip out to places like Bedale or Skipton if you Know what I mean. Interested in your comments about the AVE as I have seen a second hand one on Ebay. Are impressed with them?

01423frankieboy

Jul 20, 2014
YO51
OOPS!
sometimes my mouth doesn't engage with my brain before speaking. As for typing well that can take days longer..... Forgot to thank everybody for there replies.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi RobF
I live in a small village on the edge of the York plain but work near Ripon. I wanted to ride to York about 12 miles away flat as a pancake; with the occasional trip out to places like Bedale or Skipton if you Know what I mean. Interested in your comments about the AVE as I have seen a second hand one on Ebay. Are impressed with them?
I am pleased with the MH7.

Quality bike which rides remarkably well for its small wheels.

The secondhand one on ebay looks fine - most users replace the original saddle which is a narrow, hard roadie one.

One thing worth checking is the size of the battery, Bosch made two, an 8ah and an 11ah.

All the MH7s I've seen - including mine - came with the smaller battery, which is a bit limiting.

It ought to do your flat as a pancake round trip of 24 miles, but it won't go a lot further.

With the Bosch system, much depends on how much effort you put in.

You certainly won't be able to ride to work and back on full assistance.

Two or three notches down should leave you a bit of headroom for headwinds or a heavy load.

York to Bedale or Skipton is a 70/80mile round trip for which you will need a spare battery for a little matter of £500.

01423frankieboy

Jul 20, 2014
YO51
RobF
I see you wrote a review on the woosh scirroco.How is that for a bike? you have either had it for a year now or got rid of it.