Worn cassette and chain

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
Took my Kahlkoff endeavour 5b in for its first service last week @ 1500miles. Everything was as expected but they told me that I need to consider changing my 8 speed cassette together with the chain @ the next (2500m) service? They told me it has worn to within the 1% guidance limit???
I've never changed a cassette in my life and the chain has only been changed if it broke.
Has anyone come across this 'demand' @ 2500m, before?
Thanks in advance

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Took my Kahlkoff endeavour 5b in for its first service last week @ 1500miles. Everything was as expected but they told me that I need to consider changing my 8 speed cassette together with the chain @ the next (2500m) service? They told me it has worn to within the 1% guidance limit???
I've never changed a cassette in my life and the chain has only been changed if it broke.
Has anyone come across this 'demand' @ 2500m, before?
Thanks in advance
Yes. 2500 miles = 4000km. I think that's not bad. I had some chains wear out quicker, especially in winter.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Zoros, they are not trying it on, if you change the chain before it goes beyond its wear limit, you should get longer use out of your cassette and chain ring.

However the other approach is to just carry on until one of your gears starts to jump and then change everything, cassette, chain, chain ring and jockey wheels.

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
I change my cassette and chain every 3 months .I do 150 mile a week and it takes a beating .

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Mine takes a beating too as I ride cross country around 14 miles to work and then 10 miles back on the road after the transmission has often been coated in muck.

I use a 9 speed single chain ring set up on my Haibike.

I have had recent success prolonging the life of my cassette by changing the chain when it reached the wear limit, but only my top gear, 12 tooth cog on the rear cassette that I bought separately of ebay.

I find it is always my top gear that wears out first from my 10 mile road ride home where I am using higher assist levels to travel faster to get me home after my late shift and using the top two gears a lot.

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
1500 miles to 1800 miles from a chain is about right for an Ebike. The cassette I'd expect 4500 miles from but if the shop is saying 2500 miles it could be they are being cautious.
The best advice I can give you is to learn to service your bike yourself. Going through shops is expensive. I appreciate shops need to make a living but when I was charged £40 for a set of brake pads that I can buy on Amazon for £12 I decided to do nearly all of it all myself. Things like chains, cassettes, chainrings, brake pads, rotors and tyres are all doable with minimum knowledge and effort and will save you a fortune.

Darren

Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
1500 miles to 1800 miles from a chain is about right for an Ebike.
For a crank drive ebike. Chains on hub drive bikes should last longer than on regular non-e bikes.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Very true, crank drive add power to the drive train and rear hub powered bikes reduce it.

I have both types of bike and the rear hub bikes are very kind to the drive train.

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
Agreed, my old EBCO front hub drive only used 3 chains in 8600 miles and the third one was still on it when the battery fuse holder died.

Apologies for any confusion.

Darren