Worried about leaving battery on bike?

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
Hi all,

Am I the only one who is worried about leaving their battery on their bike? My battery pack costs £600 new and I do worry about leaving it on the bike while in town and I know how easy the locks can be picked!

I'm quite happy with locking the rest of the bike. I've got 2 good D locks, one larger one for the frame and rear wheel. The other is used for the front wheel. I also have a bicycle alarm installed under the seat.

I just cannot think of anything extra to protect my battery.

Do any of you add extra locks to your battery and if so which ones?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
A d lock round the battery trough an eyelet might work but would look ugly I remove mine and take with
you would not leave £600 in cash in a plastic box outside its a major headache I wish I could think of a solutiono_O

Reactions: kingsknight

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Unless you live in an area of high ebike use I am wondering why anyone might bother to go to the trouble of stealing a battery when the effort might be better employed to steal the bike.
Bearing in mind thar thievery is an occupation that has evolved to make money I am thinking that a battery without a bike or charger would be as unsellable as a bike without the battery, especially as said battery won't fit every ebike.

kingsknight

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2018
Unless you live in an area of high ebike use I am wondering why anyone might bother to go to the trouble of stealing a battery when the effort might be better employed to steal the bike.
Bearing in mind thar thievery is an occupation that has evolved to make money I am thinking that a battery without a bike or charger would be as unsellable as a bike without the battery, especially as said battery won't fit every ebike.
Trust me, the scum around here will nick anything off a bike! I've had my freaking mud guards stolen before!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Hi all,

Am I the only one who is worried about leaving their battery on their bike? My battery pack costs £600 new and I do worry about leaving it on the bike while in town and I know how easy the locks can be picked!

I'm quite happy with locking the rest of the bike. I've got 2 good D locks, one larger one for the frame and rear wheel. The other is used for the front wheel. I also have a bicycle alarm installed under the seat.

I just cannot think of anything extra to protect my battery.

Do any of you add extra locks to your battery and if so which ones?

You could put one of these on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-12mm-dia-BICYCLE-ALARM-SIREN-CABLE-LOCK-electric-bike-caravan-gates-boat/152907714207?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=52945&meid=aade69bc08ba4ba2ab82d5a411510e36&pid=100010&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=162902179985&itm=152907714207&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Being sensible there is no way the above cable lock could be fitted to protect battery theft.

Back to the drawing board!

Jim

Geoff Sleath

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 21, 2019
My wife used to go to the gym on her bike. She came home one day complaining of intermittent operation and when I checked the rear rack battery housing was cracked and the connector pins were loosened. Obviously someone had attempted to wrest the battery from its rear rack mount. When I contacted Cycloticity for spares as it was impossible to effect a repair they sent us new parts FOC as the system was still under guarantee. I thought that was excellent service as it wasn't due to a manufacturing defect.

Now she either walks the 2.5 miles or catches the ( free) bus. There doesn't seem to be any way of thief proofing the battery other than removing it and carrying it. Who wants to lug about a heavy battery?

Geoff

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I'm afraid the Bosch batteries and controllers are very nickable. I take mine off unless I am popping into a shop and I can keep the bike in view at all times.