Would you even bother?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cannot see anything on there about getting the bike approved?
If you mean approved as a motor vehicle for registration, they can't be. The EU wide mandatory Two and Three Wheeled Vehicle Type Approval law 168/2013 specifically exempts pedelecs from being a motor vehicle. This law was integrated in UK law under its original name 2002/24/EC on 10th November 2003 but I believe N.I. which has it's own motor vehicle law didn't have the assembly sitting in the 2003 period that the EU order had to be enforced.

That's no excuse though, they are in breach of EU law and can be subject to a very heavy fine, especially as they've been in breach for over 15 years. Of course until the assembly sits, there's no-one a fine order can be delivered to.

In every respect it's a chaotic situation, depriving N.I citizens of their rights under EU law. If it doesn't get sorted out before the end of the transition period of the UK leaving the EU, N.I may never be permitted pedelec freedom.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If, as it appears, it would need insurance, which company is going to offer a policy for a motor vehicle that isn't a motor vehicle? I can see the person trying to get cover ending up being seen as misleading the insurer. "Will you insure my motor vehicle?". "But it isn't a motor vehicle. Trying to insure a non-motor vehicle as if it were a motor vehicle is a serious misrepresentation."

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If, as it appears, it would need insurance, which company is going to offer a policy for a motor vehicle that isn't a motor vehicle? I can see the person trying to get cover ending up being seen as misleading the insurer. "Will you insure my motor vehicle?". "But it isn't a motor vehicle. Trying to insure a non-motor vehicle as if it were a motor vehicle is a serious misrepresentation."
Insurers in France appear to be much wiser to pedelecs.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They insure them as bicycles and they insure s-pedelecs as mopeds. I think that makes them wiser than your English insurance people seem to be :)