Wow! That flew right over my head!

Blackcat

Just Joined
Feb 20, 2016
Hello all.

I'm Eileen, and I live in Thurrock. If any of you know the area, you'll understand why I am after an e-bike. If you don't know the area, look up the Dartford Crossing on a windy day/lane closure. There is only so much someone can take after sitting in gridlocked traffic for over 3 hours, when I only have to drive 7.5 miles. I could WALK it quicker!

After much perusing the internet, I am totally bewildered by the huge range of bikes available, so decided to come for expert advice.

I am looking for a light weight, low maintenance, foldable bike that I can put in my car (for when I need to abandon him at work). It will be used mainly on cyclepaths, which, thankfully, Thurrock has plenty, seeing that I have never had a proficiency test, and the thought of sitting 10 feet in front of an HGV at the Lakeside roundabout is not an exciting prospect. I have only really cycled as a kid, but will be looking to use the bike more often as the days get warmer and I build more stamina. I do a round trip of 15 miles per day with a couple of gentle hills. Taking it into work and charging it is not a problem, so storing it is not an issue.

The only thing I have seen that ticks all the boxes is the Gocycle G2, but that is a hell of a lot of wonga. Can anyone help with any other options?

Thanks all.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Very few e-bike folders are either compact (when folded) or light. I'd think about a normal folder for the occasional use you describe. Or go the whole hog and buy a normal e-bike and commit to doing the whole journey by bike, 7.5 miles isn't very far really. Or two bikes, ordinary cheap folder and an e-bike.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: Nealh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only thing I have seen that ticks all the boxes is the Gocycle G2, but that is a hell of a lot of wonga. Can anyone help with any other options?
The Gocycle doesn't fold though, it can be stripped into several separate components, far from convenient and regular stripping and reassembly could introduce problems of wear and tear.

A true folder is far more convenient and quick to fold and can be far cheaper, though also a bit heavier.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Hello all.

I'm Eileen, and I live in Thurrock. If any of you know the area, you'll understand why I am after an e-bike. If you don't know the area, look up the Dartford Crossing on a windy day/lane closure. There is only so much someone can take after sitting in gridlocked traffic for over 3 hours, when I only have to drive 7.5 miles. I could WALK it quicker!

After much perusing the internet, I am totally bewildered by the huge range of bikes available, so decided to come for expert advice.

I am looking for a light weight, low maintenance, foldable bike that I can put in my car (for when I need to abandon him at work). It will be used mainly on cyclepaths, which, thankfully, Thurrock has plenty, seeing that I have never had a proficiency test, and the thought of sitting 10 feet in front of an HGV at the Lakeside roundabout is not an exciting prospect. I have only really cycled as a kid, but will be looking to use the bike more often as the days get warmer and I build more stamina. I do a round trip of 15 miles per day with a couple of gentle hills. Taking it into work and charging it is not a problem, so storing it is not an issue.

Thanks all.
this
http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/helix-titanium-folding-bike-rolls-large-45176/
is so tempting. And its coming in March. For £800 - it's so bad reasoning why I shouldn't get one is becoming something frequent. I've got a brompton and ive just arrived at work having cycled 4 miles in - which was a breeze. I wouldn't get an electric bike with all the complication and unreliability that may mean for 7.5 miles. Ordinary cycling ids also likely to make you fitter, and is to me more relaxing

Reactions: flecc

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Hi black cat
I have my wife's Juicybike folder for sale in classifieds on this site. May be suitable for your needs . Will cover that distance without problems Although as has been said it is not particularly light but folds down easily

regards gray

Reactions: JuicyBike

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hello all.

Thanks all.
You have a local electric bike shop in Dartford:
EC Bates
52 West Hill
Dartford
DA1 2EU
01322 220748 / 01322 275993
Who are very nice people. Their website is http://www.ecbate.bike/

And Gray's folder is a bargain...

Reactions: gray198

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Being that you are new and need help in choosing I have to agree with Trex, go visit the two outlets he has suggested and try a few bikes first rather then buy blind from a recommendation.

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
7.5 Miles!! Sell the bloody car! Time is money and all that!
That's a half hour or less gentle commute by E bicycle 100% of the time.

Anyway what they said, Try one whatever you do. Birdy or Brompton if you want a folder, E conversions of these exist or can be done.