XF08C Rear Hub Kit Not working after riding in rain

zilali

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 7, 2020
Hi whoosh,
I went for a ride in the rain last week (which I thought should be ok with the e-bike kit) and my kit suddenly switched off, I assumed this was due to the battery being low (hadn't checked the level in a while). I left it over the weekend and went to charge and noticed the light on the battery pack started flickering red. I also noticed a spark when I plugged the power pack to the battery. After 2 hours of charge it won't switch in. Do you think this is due to water getting in the system? Any ideas on a fix?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Never leave your battery when it's run down.

The spark is normal, but avoidable. You should always switch on the charger before you plug it into the battery.

You can blow a fuse if you don't switch on the charger first, which might be what's happened. You need to measure the charger output with a meter to see if its charging, then check the charge socket on the battery to see that it's ready for charging. That takes a very steady hand. You put the red probe on the positive output terminal, then the black one on the blade in the charge socket without touching the pin, otherwise you'll get a big spark and possibly damage. I'm assuming that you have the common 5.5mm jack socket. Other ones are easier.

zilali

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 7, 2020
Hi, so the charger was already plugged into the wall and on before I plugged the 5.5mm jack into the battery but it still sparked.

Advertisers