Xofo Motor

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

http://www.woaczh.com/show_content.php?id=3860
http://szxfmotor.en.alibaba.com/product/758303203-213690334/XOFO_350_500W_geared_Hub_Motor_with_cassette.html

I've seen these motors before when browsing Alibaba. They were at the Shanghai show, where I had a chance to talk with some of their guys. The motor is basically a clone of the Bafang CST. They told me that it was their own design and was better than the Bafang. They showed me some Powerpoint slides on a laptop, but I couldn't see much difference and the explanation was spoiled by their poor English. Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I ordered a sample.

I think I've got the highest power version but it's got no markings. The catalogue says >400w whatever that means. All I know is that it's nominally 36v and came with a 22 amp controller.

I want to use it for a special project (lets call it a stress test) before using it in a more conventional bike with its supplied controller and other bits, so I hooked it up to a KU123 30 amp controller with a 64v battery installed on my trusty Giant NRS, This is only for testing it. After I installed it in the bike, I spun the wheel and was surprised by how long it rotated. It's much more free-running than the Bafang.

No load speed is 34mph at 64v, so with a normal 36v battery, it'd be closer to 21mph, or about 19mph real speed.

On the road, acceleration was rapid to about 25mph. It reached 27mph in most circumstances, and 30mph in favourable ones. Hill-climbing was faster than my Bafang CST with the same controller but only 36v, although not the massive difference that the difference in voltages would suggest. it seemed to handle the power quite well without getting hot. I didn't measure the current, but the 30amp controller at 64v would have been processing close to 2kw. Even at that power, the motor was quieter than my Bafang CST. and it was also pretty smooth. I'll try it tomorrow at 36v to see how it compares directly with the Bafang CST. I'm expecting it to be a bit slower and less powerful, although more powerful than the 350w CST. So far, I like this motor.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Watching with interest ! Be great to see some Ah/mile readings on this motor at 20-25mph range for comparative efficiency too if you get the chance :).

Now we just need you to open one up and see what's really inside ! Seeing as the CST 500W seems discontinued perhaps this is the contender for a replacement favourite that's actually available to new builds ?

I watched the CA CST Watts output on a longer steep hill climb (19-22%) @ 15.6mph yesterday (maxed out) .. eased off throttle at over 1300W, which I reckon must be close to its limit ? Controller's been drawing 39.3A at some point apparently within 1st 6Ah used from a 36V nominal freshly charged battery. Seems rather high :confused:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I think that the 39.3 amps is just a bit of over-shoot for a very short time before the processor can see it and reduce the power 1300 is about what I see, which is about 32.5 amps.

D

Deleted member 4366

The motor connector is identical to the one on my Bafang CST, which I run with a 32 amp controller. My Bafang had conventional bullet connectors at the controller end, while as the Xofo controller has a long wire soldered directly to the controller PCB. I've never had a problem with the 9 pin connector at the motor with that current, but every time, the insulation in the bullet connectors melts on the controller side, which could cause a short between the phase wires. I therefore make it the same as the Xofo. I open the controller, remove the phase wires and hall wires, and solder the eight wires from the motor lead directly to the PCB because you don't need a connector at the controller end.

D

Deleted member 4366

I tried it again today with a 20aH 36v Ping Battery. It's very similar to my Bafang CST in all respects except speed. It's about 3mph slower. It cruised up a 5% hill at 17mph and easily reached 29mph on the flat, but maxed out at about 20.5mph - all without pedalling. Overall it's a nice motor - smooth, quiet and strong. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Bafang, so it's just a question of the speed. A very good solution if you want a "legal" bike that''ll climb the steepest hills without effort. A 48v battery will get it to about 25mph, if that's what you want.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Shame I can't find a front one :-(

Looks like the BPM is my only high torque, geared option - MAC is a bit pricey.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
A very good solution if you want a "legal" bike that''ll climb the steepest hills without effort. A 48v battery will get it to about 25mph, if that's what you want.
Do you mean in the sense that they don't stamp a rating on the motor ? lol !

Abby Wang

Finding my (electric) wheels
Hello all, this is abby from XOFO motor. Pls contact me at xofomotor1@163.com. We now have middle motor to production. Nice to hear from you in the future.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Aaah wow.

How does this motor compare to the xiondga one?

25mph at 48V is all I need!!!

D

Deleted member 4366

They do a nice copy of the Bafang CST motor, which does 19mph (on the road) at 36v, so 24 mph at 48v. I guess they do other speed/voltage versions of it too. You can get the complete kit with LCD, waterproof plug-and-play connectors and a black controller that clamps direct to the seat-tube for a very neat installation. I think Frank used this one in his Xipi kits/bikes for a while.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
How does it compare to a xiondga, BPM and BBS02?

Ideally I'd like to go around 25-30mph speed and I have load of stop and start!

What would be the best setup?

D

Deleted member 4366

The Xofo CST is the same as the Bafang. I had one on test for a while. It's a nice motor. Speed and power would be exactly the same as a 36v code 13 BPM. It's heavier than the Xiongda, but a lot more powerful. It should be fine at 25A 48V. You'll do a lot more gear-changing with the BBS02 and Xiongda.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
is it somehow the equivalent of the Q128H?

and how is it better than the bpm? does it worth to upgrade my bpm2 to this motor?

Abby Wang

is it somehow the equivalent of the Q128H?

and how is it better than the bpm? does it worth to upgrade my bpm2 to this motor?
I have detailed information shows difference between XOFO XFV and 8fun BPM, which are listed in PPT, how could I send them to you? TKS.

Abby Wang

The Xofo CST is the same as the Bafang. I had one on test for a while. It's a nice motor. Speed and power would be exactly the same as a 36v code 13 BPM. It's heavier than the Xiongda, but a lot more powerful. It should be fine at 25A 48V. You'll do a lot more gear-changing with the BBS02 and Xiongda.
Hi, nice to see you here. Any thank you for support in the future.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
Hello Abby.
Can you get me a 250w Xofo XFV complete kit laced i a 26" wheel ?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
abby can you send it to my email at cwah.liu AT gmail.com?

thx