Yamaha Motors more reliable?

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Having read a series of woes about Bosch motors crunching bearings, how are Yamaha for reliabilty?
I fancy one in a Giant perhaps. I can live with the fact that there is a little less power at the top end since dody knees mean help at the lower speeds are more useful. Don't fancy having to pedal at a high cadence to get the maximum power though. Thoughts please. Incidently I see the price of Giant Ebikes going back up again. Perhaps it was the 2017 models which were discounted, the ones with the less sleek battery fitting.

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi Charliefox, as is always in life, if you have a problem or something goes wrong, we moan about it. In the old saying of if you get poor service the average person tells 11 people, if you get good service the average person only tells 1.

I these days of social media, forums and the internet in general, it’s easy to tell thousands of people about your problem. Inevitably there will be others in those thousands who also have a problem, write about it and so on.

Yes there have been Bosch motors with problems, and not so many reported problems with other motors, why, because Bosch sells many many more units than other suppliers, and so there will inevitably be more reports of Bosch units failing.

We don’t know how many units each supplier sells and therefore we don’t know the percentage of failed units from each supplier. I have a Bosch, I’m not sticking up just for Bosch, but I have had no problems whatsoever, and I am sure there are plenty people on here who have had no problems, but don’t say so, because we don’t do that sort of thing…. We like to complain.

A few of the failed motors I have read about are clearly the fault of using, cleaning and power washing, an electrical unit in the wrong way, yes some have failed due to none of these factors, but again it’s down to percentages.

If you look after the units they are great motors. Would you power wash the engine of your petrol car…. No, because it wouldn’t start afterwards.

Don’t let the few posts you have read about Bosch motors put you off owning one, I find they are great motors, and I have had no problems with my Cube. They come with a 2 year warranty, and as long as you don’t expect an electrical unit to survive, power washing, submerging and ford crossing, you will do fine.

Remember these units are only IP 54 rated…. Splash proof, not submersible.

Just my thoughts…

Related Articles

Advertisers