Yamaha pwx controller

Humber

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 13, 2021
Hello I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable folk on here maybe able to advise me on my haibike fullseven..I've had it now nearly 3years and it's been great until 2 weeks ago when it put up error code 062 motor per on/off...which I did it cleared a few times then went totally..I contacted haibike/Raleigh but they offered no help at all..too long out of warranty..it hasn't lasted long..they said I need a new motor at £900 because the PCB boards are not available to buy separately..what a joke..no spares for a 4 grand bike..any ideas or do I just bite the bullet..thanks for any help

Reactions: peushofer

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I would contact performance line bearings, see what they say, they are on the forum but someone else may have a link.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Humber

Jan 13, 2021
Thanks..I have been in contact with them and they cannot get any PCB boards only new motors so I may just buy one...not happy about it only lasting 2years 9months.. I'd say it's not fit for purpose as I dont get in any deep water only rain but haibike aren't having any of it..2yr warranty on electrics but 3yr in usa..thanks for your help

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Like other OEM mid drive bikes a lot of money to outlay with a paltry 2 year warranty, they tie you in with exorbitant repair/replacement costs once out of warranty. One reason I would never ever buy any one of these Chinese made bikes with very crap after service once any warranty runs out.

I feel sorry for you that having spent 4k that within 3 years it costs nearly a 1/4 of the bikes value to get it running again, it is one of the things that I totally agree with Andy on when he mentions it often.

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
It will at some point come home to bite them.

Earlier this year I seriously considered buying a new Haibike with an updated Yamaha system similar to the one I already own. It had just the right mix of components and features for me.

However, the reason I held off was mostly because of how poor their customer service is for keeping your expensive electric system going if it breaks or needs mending once your warranty has ended. Being more aware of that now presented too much of a risk for me even though I have found my own bike works very well and is tough and well designed.

My bike shop was very good. I was lucky and got a new motor fitted under warranty right on the two year point of ownership. When I wear that motor out I will get performance line bearings to refurbish it, if I want to keep my Haibike working.

One of the things that highlighted it for me was when the connector on my battery broke and I could not charge the battery. My dealer, who had been excellent up to that point, told me their hands were tied, and the only option they could offer me was to sell me a new battery and charger at a cost of £800.

Luckily I managed to fix the connectors myself and that battery and charger are working very well still.

So if they are not careful, they will kill the golden goose, because although they will sell a lot of bikes, people who have a bad experience will not buy again, and long term that will be very damaging.

In my case, if I had received brilliant customer service and had all my problems fixed by the dealer at a reasonable cost once the warranty had expired, I would have bought another brand new bike off them this year.

Its a crying shame, as my 2015 hard tail Haibike with Yamaha system is brilliant, but as an owner, you need reassurance that there is a dealer support system in place to keep your bike working at a reasonable cost long after the warranty has expired.

Humber

Jan 13, 2021
Yes I agree...I won't buy haibike again just because of the crap customer service otherwise its a good machine..I had one reply from them after that they haven't even replied again..even my dealer tried for me...there's other makes I have tried which are as good to choose from...a couple of my mates who were thinking of a new e-bike soon have now changed there minds after talking to me..so word soon gets around when it's bad press.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I only highlighted Haibike, as that is the make of bike I own, I think it is worse than that, as it is the electrical system, be that in my case Yamaha, but also I believe Bosch, and perhaps others, that out of warranty offer no support and that encompasses many more bikes and makes of bike.

I did start a thread about the issues I had with my battery, and it did not take long before other people found it and commented who had the same problem.

Some of them within the warranty period were offered no help as they had been deemed negligent in the way the battery/charger connection had been broken.

My battery and charger have powered me nearly 4,000 miles since my connectors broke in April 2018, was told they could not be fixed, and then fixed them myself!

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/yamaha-battery-charger-problem.31092/

It is a shame as my 2015 entry level Yamaha Haibike is within a 120 miles now of completing 13,000 miles since I bought it. I use it to ride 14 miles cross country to work, and then home again 10 miles on the road. It cost £1750, had a new motor fitted free of charge under warranty at the two year point, and I managed to fix my broken battery/charger connections, and the original battery and battery management system are obviously good as my 400Wh original battery still works beautifully and will be six years old in March 2021.

Humber

Jan 13, 2021
Yes I agree it's not the bike manufacturer it's the company that makes the motor/electrics...I contacted Yamaha a week ago and got a reply today...it said contact Haibike its nothing to do with us...lol...I said it's a Yamaha motor! You are Yamaha not Haibike..it wont help but may as well speak your mind..no loss..new motor ordered..I will have to watch the charging socket minxes quite a tight fit..

PETE148

Just Joined
Apr 4, 2021
Hello I'm hoping some of you knowledgeable folk on here maybe able to advise me on my haibike fullseven..I've had it now nearly 3years and it's been great until 2 weeks ago when it put up error code 062 motor per on/off...which I did it cleared a few times then went totally..I contacted haibike/Raleigh but they offered no help at all..too long out of warranty..it hasn't lasted long..they said I need a new motor at £900 because the PCB boards are not available to buy separately..what a joke..no spares for a 4 grand bike..any ideas or do I just bite the bullet..thanks for any help

How did you manage to reset it. I have the same problem as error 64 "controller". Want to try resetting it

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I was lucky I got my first motor replaced right on the two year warranty point.

For me there were no error messages and the system was working as it should, it was the main bearings that had developed play. I am also pretty sure that my bearing s failed due to water ingress from washing the bike rather than riding it.

I have been very careful to keep water away from the motor bearings of my replacement motor when I wash the bike. It is also a good excuse to wash the bike less!

I think I am probably on borrowed time now with my replaced motor as it is over four years old and has completed more than 7,000 miles.

However there is no play at the moment in my bearings and it continues to work as it should. I don't think either Bosch or Yamaha try to fix their motors they just replace them within the warranty period.

I can sort of see why, time is money and it is very easy to undo a few bolts and unplug a broken motor and plug in and bolt in a new motor. It is probably a numbers game, where they know that a lot of customers simply will not use their bikes enough to have a motor problem in the warranty period.

I have no reason to change my bike at the moment and if that is still the case when my motor needs attention I will get it completely refurbished at performance line bearings.

Advertisers