Yay Now Iv'e Found You

VisionOn

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 22, 2017
Herts
Hey hello everyone, Iv'e been thinking of electrifying my bike for a year or so now She's old like me but good unlike me, a Marin Mount Vision circa 2000, I hadn't realized there were so many people out there that were kinda the same.
What I would like is some advice on which way to go I think Iv'e narrowed it down to a rear hub motor (DUAL 250W/1000W CONVERSION E-KIT) from cyclotricity (I'm mainly off road) + a 48V seat stem mounted battery (as much as possible Ah) + pedal assist and dashboard but I don't want to turn to jelly.
Seeing as the bike is nearly 20 (twould have been a pup once) I need to be able to take the kit off and transplant it if necessary.
Ideas welcome but the wallet is a little slim..

D

Deleted member 4366

People keep asking about these motors. They can be good in some circumstances, but they have a lot of disadvantages:

• At low speed and restricted to 250w, they're very inefficient, so your battery won't take you far.
  • The battery is a bit under-rated, so expect to be looking for another one after about 200 charge cycles.
  • The motor is extremely heavy and it has no clutch, so prdalling the bike without power is not really an option.
  • They're illegal, even if you run in 250w mode.
The only advantage they offer is that if you have a long uninterrupted journey, they can be fast, efficient and reliable.

A normal 250w geared hub-motor in many cases will perform much better, especially if you run one at 48v.

VisionOn

Oct 22, 2017
Herts
Thanks could have been a costly mistake I made there I'm open to suggestions though I like the idea of a 1000W motor with a code or switch to 250W as I said I'm mainly off road, geared motor Ok now that's something else to throw into the mix.

I was also looking at the offering from 8fun a crank motor but I got put off by the gear shredding stories that I came across.

I don't really want a heavy motor as the battery pack is going to be heavy enough.

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't think that the 1000w motors will give you four times the power of a 250w. To get good power from them, you need a 35 amp controller and a battery that can give that current continuously. A 10Ah battery giving 35 amps will last you about 15 minutes, so you'll need a sizeable battery. when you put them in 250w mode, they perform like a wet blanket, but still empty your battery very quickly.

VisionOn

Oct 22, 2017
Herts
Man this is far more complicated than I thought, perhaps I should use leg power for now (while there's still life left in em) I just wanted to go further is all.