Yet more beginner questions

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Hi all
I hope you dont mind giving more advise to a newbie, nice to have people who know whats what to ask:D

Anyway I have been doing some research on what is available here in Dublin with local dealers. Both to enable me to try before buying and also because it seems preferable to have a local dealer.

Anyway I have sussed the following bikes that I will be able to try out here in various dealers that may be within or close to my budget.

Since I got some helpful comments on models here before wondered if those of you who have these, or just know an awful lot about them might tell me whether they are worth pursuing.

Anyway here is my shortlist

Wisper 905se city
Wisper 906se
Kalkhoff Agutta and Pro Connect
Powabyke
Giant twist esprit power

Thanks
Conn

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The only one I'm not keen on is the Giant due to the batteries hogging the rack, looks nice but it might be a real pain in the future.

Other than that they are quite different so you need to try them. What sort of mileage do you plan to do?

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks Mussels
I will be doing approx 25-30 miles per day.
Flattish, no major hillls

Conn

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Hi Conn.

There's a goodly number of Wisper and Kalkhoff owners amongst forum members so I should imagine there will be many who'd point you towards what they consider the best bike.

Although I would guess the other makes you mention are represented also, I doubt there are quite so many owners. On second thoughts, I could be wrong on user numbers; I'll be interested to read any advice you receive.

Given all other factors are equal and regardless of advice from members here, I'm certain a test ride of the machines you list will produce a clear winner for you. Your winner may not be the same as it might be for some others but that really doesn't matter. I say that because if there were one supreme bike and the money was right, everybody would have it.

The fact is, money comes into it for most people; style and performance too. Warranty and proximity with a reputable dealer feature large for many so there is no easy answer to which bike is best for you. Bear in mind that advice or opinion received here, (or anywhere else) tends to be very subjective thus the eternal advice to test-ride the machines on your short list becomes paramount. Having said all that, of those you have listed, I know which one I'd have but that's neither here nor there.

Best of luck,
Indalo

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks indalo for the advice
In fairness the shortlist isn't totally honest as both the wisper 906 and the pro connect are really outside of my budget. I just like the idea of them so I will only completely rule them out once actually handing over the money comes into the equation

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Thanks indalo for the advice
In fairness the shortlist isn't totally honest as both the wisper 906 and the pro connect are really outside of my budget. I just like the idea of them so I will only completely rule them out once actually handing over the money comes into the equation
With that in mind I'd go for the 905 with the 14ah battery, needs more maintenance than the 906 but still a good ride that I covered thousands of miles on before getting a 906.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You are the expert on what you like most Blather, just try as many as you can, that is very important. Then tell us those that appeal and are within your budget and we'll warn if any are lemons or which aren't suitable for your purpose.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Hi all
I hope you dont mind giving more advise to a newbie, nice to have people who know whats what to ask:D

Anyway I have been doing some research on what is available here in Dublin with local dealers. Both to enable me to try before buying and also because it seems preferable to have a local dealer.

Anyway I have sussed the following bikes that I will be able to try out here in various dealers that may be within or close to my budget.

Since I got some helpful comments on models here before wondered if those of you who have these, or just know an awful lot about them might tell me whether they are worth pursuing.

Anyway here is my shortlist

Wisper 905se city
Wisper 906se
Kalkhoff Agutta and Pro Connect
Powabyke
Giant twist esprit power

Thanks
Conn
hi conn, if you find any good bike shops in centre of dublin, mention them on here. i am in dublin first week april and could happily spend half a day test riding some e bikes !!!!! would like a go (hire) on a pro connect.....

regards

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Will do. I know where a few of them are at this point and have made contact about coming in but not sure if they hire them out. I'll let you know the lay of the land once I see them. Wouldn't mind a hire myself - better to test ride over a day or two I think if possible

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have a 905 SE City and roads have got so bad over the winter I am really missing front suspension now (used to have sport) So I would go for the S which has everything you need for a commute

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Don't think the A2B is really my bag.
Have managed to track down and arrange to try a pro connect. The dealer here is greenaer for anyone in Dublin (I'll ask about the rental Friday dmcgoldrick and post back). At the moment they only have this but they expect to have Agattu in within a week or so. Turns out the wisper dealer isn't - they advertise the 905se online but I am informed by the distributor here that they aren't dealers in fact (checked the address on google streetview and is a car accessory shop?!?). Only place in Ireland to try the Wisper is in Limerick so I dont know when I'll have the time to go down there for a try. Disappointing! Apart from the Kalkhoff then (and the giant I think) it is difficult to find dealers here with bikes I have ever heard of or can find anything about. There is a crowd called ciebike who are selling shark and polo bikes - they don't specify a manufacturer that I can see. Anyone ever heard of them?
Thanks
Conn